Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I first started looking at adding caliper studs on my 14 CS, it took me a while to figure out how to release the ABS sensor connector and I actually removed the sensor from the wheel carrier at one point. Attached are a few pictures that might be helpful. I think there is a tab inside the sensor so hopefully that's what you broke as I think it would be a lot easier to replace the sensor than the wire. Good Luck.

Yes, these connectors are tricky to get apart without breaking. If anyone has a clear explanation as to how to get them apart safely, I would be interested in it.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Has anyone found any good ceramic pads to replace the stock ones? I'd like to go with something that dusts a little less, but I don't want a track-rated pad.
Generally, any pad that's advertised as having less dust will be a street pad. Track-focused pads will make more visible dust because that's just not a factor in their design.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Generally, any pad that's advertised as having less dust will be a street pad. Track-focused pads will make more visible dust because that's just not a factor in their design.
Hey Weasel... are you sure about that?? sample of one: using Pagid pads for DE's -- (yellow front, black rear).. both generate very little dusting on my rims... again, FWIW.
D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone got instructions how to do rear?
Use a small screwdriver and remove the small cotter pin on the big middle bridge pin. Use a drive pin punch and a hammer and remove the bridge pin. Will have to press down on the spring plate to completely remove the pin. Carefully remove the pad sensor with a needle nose plier. Squeeze back the pads then remove.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Use a small screwdriver and remove the small cotter pin on the big middle bridge pin. Use a drive pin punch and a hammer and remove the bridge pin. Will have to press down on the spring plate to completely remove the pin. Carefully remove the pad sensor with a needle nose plier. Squeeze back the pads then remove.
Sweet Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
How you do press the pistons back in to put new pads in the back without taking the caliper off the rotor?

·
Registered
115 Posts
For the rear what I did was left the existing pads in place, use the metal parts that stick out on them to push pad back, which in turn pushes piston back, pulled out and inserted new pad

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
You can use your hands and push them back, or get a brake caliper spread tool
There didn't seem to be a good way to get a tool in there with the rotor in the way. I was hoping someone might have a clever trick for it. :)

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
That's the way I've been doing it for 20+ years.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Anyone got instructions how to do rear?
Information noted for rear 981 is fine unless you have a Spyder in which case the rears are changed the same as the fronts except calipers & pads are smaller than the fronts.
From the bottom after calipers removed; there are no pins holding pads in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you guys very much for this thread. Since you guys have figured out and pointed out the "challenges", I knew exactly what/how to do it. The whole thing was about 1 1/2 hours, with the fronts taking about 1 hour (should go faster next time as I tied up the pad sensors front/back):

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great thread with lots of useful information. Thanks to everyone that has contributed. After reviewing this thread, I was able to finish the fronts in about 2 hours today.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,476 Posts
It's funny - next time it will take 1/2 the time :)

61 - 80 of 96 Posts