Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have 2 questions(sorry if i sound like an idiot)

1) When should i change my drive belt for my 42,000km mileage 2006 Cayman S?

2) Any link or instructions as to how to change the drive belt? I bought the Wayne Dempsey 101 Projects book . Good book but its not as detailed for the drive belt change. Do i need a special tool to release the drive belt?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi guys,

I have 2 questions(sorry if i sound like an idiot)

1) When should i change my drive belt for my 42,000km mileage 2006 Cayman S?

2) Any link or instructions as to how to change the drive belt? I bought the Wayne Dempsey 101 Projects book . Good book but its not as detailed for the drive belt change. Do i need a special tool to release the drive belt?
Regarding question (1), I have attached a pdf file containing the Cayman maintenance schedule. On page 9 you will see that the belt is to be changed every 60,000 miles or 6 years, whatever comes first.

As to question 2, there is step-by-step procedure, more or less, documented on Planet -9. You will find it in the articles section under Cayman maintenance, I believe. A special tool is not required. I found it helpful to have my daughter release the tension on the one pulley as I placed the new belt on. What is more, I took a photograph of the old belt and its path before I took it off, just in case I forgot its path when the new one went on. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
americi11 & Professor MSP

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
americi11 & Professor MSP
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it!
I'm assuming you aren't the original owner, and judging by your post count and join date, you've owned the car a year or so. Since the belt change should of been done in 2010, you might want to have a Porsche dealer pull-up the maintenance records for your VIN. If the previous owner followed the maintenance schedule, you won't need to replace it again until 2016.

Obviously (from the video) it isn't a big deal to change belts. Most of the time will be spent just getting the access cover off. And that's a great tip about taking photos before removal - that applies to many repair tasks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts