Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing the flywheel to a light weight one from Aasco on my 981s pdk. To those who have changed it, I am curious how the drivability changes and if it makes any noise during idling. How does it shift between gears in low and high rpms? Is it more jerky or does it rev faster ? I changed these on my manual M3 before and it is a great upgrade but don't know how the pdk would react to this. I plan to still daily drive it but if it jerks "a lot" during the shift in normal driving then it might not be suitable for the road.

Thanks

Tobey

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would think that the PDK already has a SUPER lightweight flywheel seeing as shifts can be made in hundredths of a second. Reducing weight may actually throw off the transmission programming and make the shifts less pleasant, it may have been a great upgrade for a manual car but for the PDK i just don't see it helping very much.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Deep in my memory I remember reading the PDK engines don't have a traditional flywheel, there is a plate and the mass of the dual clutches is used to dampen the vibrations from the engine. Lightening anything could result in a crankshaft stress failure due to vibrations. Prior gen M96 manual transmissions had this problem with lightened flywheels. Some tuners have figured out how to change the shift timing via software. The factory setting is a good compromise between PDK clutch wear versus performance. you can cut the shift time, but increase the clutch wear. I believe Sport+ does this automatically.

But I could be wrong....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Deep in my memory I remember reading the PDK engines don't have a traditional flywheel, there is a plate and the mass of the dual clutches is used to dampen the vibrations from the engine. Lightening anything could result in a crankshaft stress failure due to vibrations. Prior gen M96 manual transmissions had this problem with lightened flywheels. Some tuners have figured out how to change the shift timing via software. The factory setting is a good compromise between PDK clutch wear versus performance. you can cut the shift time, but increase the clutch wear. I believe Sport+ does this automatically.

But I could be wrong....
I love the way sport+ shifts just dump the clutch. Breaks loose the back going to second.

·
Registered
344 Posts
BGB Motorsports has a lightweight flywheel for manual and PDK 981 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts