Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am racing driver and during the last seven years I have participated in all racetrack events of the Porsche Club of Brazil (and others private track days), always driving Porsches with manual gearbox.

Recently I bought a 997.2 Carrera S PDK to drive in manual mode, but I did not like the PDK system shifiting gears up automatically, especially in the middle of corners, leaving the car without traction.

With a simple change in the accelerador control the car is now improved for track days (only upshifting).
I removed the original kickdown switch and installed a fixed hand made part, with exactly the same measures of original piece.

The electronic pedal remains the full throttle, but stops before sending the signal to upshifiting.
Now I can control the gearbox to use all 8K rpm of engine, using the paddle shifters steering wheel.

The system is similar the new 991 GT3 PDK-S without kickdown, and can to be installed in any model Porsche PDK.

I hope you enjoy.

--
2009 997.2 Carrera S, White/Terracota, PDK
2008 997 GT2, White/Dark grey, Manual (sold)
2008 997 Turbo, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
1996 993 Turbo, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
2011 987.2 Boxster S, Black/Black, Manual (sold)
2001 986 Boxster S, Black/Black, Manual (sold)

02 Accelerator control PET PN 997 423 021 02 800x481.JPG 03 Accelerator control 800x483.JPG 04 Accelerator control  800x450.JPG 05 Accelerator control 800x483.JPG 06 Accelerator control 800x483.JPG

·
Registered
499 Posts
yesssss, great job sir

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I assume this means you don't have SportChrono. Right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume this means you don't have SportChrono. Right?
The car has SportChrono, but the problem is to use the PDK in circuits. In any mode: Normal, Sport or Sport Plus, the system upshifting when press the kickdown button near the rev limit of engine.

In fact, the kickdown 'switch' of PDK is only a mechanical click. I drove the car without this switch and I have no doubt that the upshift is generated by the end of potentiometer travel that control the electronic accelerator.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I thought the issue with kickdown switch was that it caused a downshift (not an upshift) when the accelerator is depressed past the 100% mark?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I thought the issue with kickdown switch was that it caused a downshift (not an upshift) when the accelerator is depressed past the 100% mark?
yes, you're correct. But upshift also I suppose, reaching close to redline right at a braking point may have the car upshift when you dont need it to.

Reactions: sdether

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Does this happen when in manual mode as well?
Kick"down" will kick in even in Sports+ and manual mode.

Remember, Porsche expects you to apply your throttle smoothly to build speed. Not to mash the pedal to the metal :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
untitled.png Everyone always forgets that you are at 100% throttle well before the bottom of the accelerator pedal travel when using Sport +. Mashing it past 70% does nothing with Sport + On.

Easy way to avoid the kick-down switch

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Interesting. To each his own I guess, but I have been racing my car (tiptronic) since 2008, and I have never experienced a problem with the kick down switch. Its always noticeable when you reach it. And mashing it isn't really pressing harder on the gas. I actually use it to my advantage sometimes when I want to initiate a shift with foot. i.e., I have the car on redline, then when I want to shift I tap the switch and voila, it shifted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yes, you're correct. But upshift also I suppose, reaching close to redline right at a braking point may have the car upshift when you dont need it to.
Correct. Other problem is to use all engine rpm available on circuits.

In Sport + the system change automatic at 7400 rpm and the engine offers almost 8000 rpm.

Using M mode (without auto upshift), we can change at rev limit including these 600 rpm and use all power at high rpm.

Sorry my English. Using Google Translator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kick"down" will kick in even in Sports+ and manual mode.

Remember, Porsche expects you to apply your throttle smoothly to build speed. Not to mash the pedal to the metal :D
We are talking about using the car in the limit on race tracks.

The throttle will be always on the car basement! ... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 56017 Everyone always forgets that you are at 100% throttle well before the bottom of the accelerator pedal travel when using Sport +. Mashing it past 70% does nothing with Sport + On.

Easy way to avoid the kick-down switch
I agree with you mungee. When driving the PDK in the streets and roads there is no problem because it is easy to realize the difference on accelerator pedal, between the full throttle more the kickdown button.

However, on circuits where we are exploring the car to the maximum, always near the rev limit and there are other participants next, it is likely to press the accelerator and not notice the difference (as I did).

Sorry my English. Using Google Translator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts