Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Same crap (remove negative first, etc). Just put a replacement with the same specs, like AGM and the AH rating it has. Porsche calls for 'coding' it, so the car knows how old it is, mostly to compensate when to call off the auto-start-stop, since an older battery loses cranking amps due to sulfation. But it's not absolutely necessary, just like if you do the brake flush regularly, there's no real need to activate the ABS piston, even when it's called for. But if you change the battery type (like AGM to GEL), then you'd need to code it for sure for proper charging. What I'd do if I were you, however, in case the stupid car detects the voltage difference and throws a warning to code the battery (don't think so), I'd fully charge the old battery before removal, and also charge the new battery before installing, which also significantly lenghtens its life. That way the car wouldn't notice any changes. I removed mine when my 2016 GTS was new for a few days, charged it, and reinstalled it with zero issues. Not even the memory settings were messed up, and didn't have to even index the windows, which was unexpected. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.