Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening as I was leaving my office, a 2007 Chevy Caprice came next to me. I saw the driver (in his mid 30s) opening his eyes in shock to see a Porsche and he didn't even try to hide it as I looked at him. The signal turned green and I drove on. We were behind so many cars at the traffic signal.

As always I drive madly fast... to some they might think I am in a race but that's my daily drive. I saw the Caprice in my rear mirror weaving between the cars just to try and catch up. I thought he just wanted to have another look at my Porsche. So I kept on driving.

I made a u-turn and he followed. I took an exit at a bridge and he followed. On the rap (thanks to Porsche engineers) I usually drive at 140-160 km/hr with a grin on my face thanking God for such a gift/bless as the steering/stability of the Cayman is like no other. And that is a round ramp exit. Of course the distance between us was increasing but he was trying to keep up. As I exited the ramp I looked behind me in the mirror and sadly I saw his car making sharp donuts at a very high speed, hitting the curb stone, spinning off the ramp in the sand, hitting the embankment, his front hood got open... the car got wrecked!

I couldn't believe my eyes... it didn't even click in my mind right away. I saw it like a slow motion video running in front of my eyes in my rear view mirror. Thank God the guy surviverd and was hospitalized immediately.

As for me, I can't get that scene out of my mind... a mixed fealing between sadness and ego... add to that I feel guilty. But I always drive like that... and I can't stop others from chasing me. I say to myself this guy went too far and pushed his car beyond its limit.

In the end, I thank God for being fortunate 24/7 with countless blessings!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Hope he is okay? Not your fault.You cannot control what others will do.Who knows had this indvidual "caught" up with you he may have well ran YOU off the road and your post would be a little different.Glad that you are okay.Chin up.I was entering I 80 freeway about a month ago and the on ramp had two enter lanes.I was coming back from Niello Porsche.I hit the on ramp at speed which is fun to do since it is a banked long sweeping curve i passed some guy in the outside lane that was driving a tricked out Honda I was not dogging the guy or throwing out any invitation to race.I was just doing what i always do on that ramp. The guy in the Honda speeded up after i had passed, I could see him in my rearview.Much to my horror his hood flew open and he ended up ditching the car. As we say in the states @#it happens.Car was slightly bent and he was okay.three things i got from this encounter 1) Make sure your car is upto the task 2) Know your limitations and if you want to race someone take it too the track or a safe piece of Hi-way.......

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the other driver point to you as contributor of accident. Hopefully he didn't get your plate info. In the States, if, for example, the other driver got hurt or hurt someone else, the other driver or the innocent bystander can drag you into the incident. It has been done before, so there is precedence. I would just avoid idiots... it's not worth it, as something silly like this can ruin your life (life, present and future income, etc.)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had a similar occurence with a Scion tc on a highway. I was in a bit of a hurry and the fellow was trying to keep up with me. I feel terrible when cars of lesser performance try to chase you to either get a closer look or actually try and race because most drivers don't know the limitations of their cars and could end up crashing like in your story HassaanAbdeen. A part of me wants to slow down for their sake and safety so they don't try and do anything stupid, but at the same time I still want to go about my business as I was before speedracer came into the picture.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have seen a few fools like that; they know their cars are not as good as ours, but they think their driving skill can make that up and tell their friends that a Porsche can't shake them off.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Hassaan, It certainly is not your fault.

Unfortunately in this region proving yourself to be a man is sometimes a way of life and egos can certainly be huge, which results in this sort of result. It would be great if the other driver will learn from his mistake....but most likely not.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I too dont think its your fault. Although I do understand the "semi" guilt you're feeling. This week it almost happened to me twice, and it DID happen once this month.

I too drive fairly fast. But there was this one time when I was going exactly 80 km/h, IN A HYUNDAI :eek:. I passed some guy and he was like, pedal to the metal and try to race me, I took the right lane, maintained speed and let him go. Long story short, he tried to avoid the car in front of him (left most lane, in a 3 lane street), lost control, hit the sidewalk and flipped almost 1/2 a meter in front of me. I barely avoided hitting him :(

Also twice in my Boxster, some speedracer thinks his driving skills could win him a race with me. I consciously decide to protect them from their own selves (I remember the incident above) and slow down so much that they get bored and return to their original pace.

Yes, it sometimes delays me. And yes, it sometimes is not possible, but I'd rather get delayed than help someone feed his stupidity!

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Not too sure I get the need to drive like your at the track when on the street, just me.

I think most of us have fun on ramps and such, but if I even think some clown is pulling up to me to entice me to race or in this case following me, my nature would be to piss him off and do the posted speed and let him go on his merry way......tada

Not saying his wipe out is your fault, it was his foot was on the accelerator but in this case it took two to tango

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your supporting comments. I am sure we all can relate to this incident as we all get chased very often for our cars. However, I received three comments out of the forum that were different from yours:
1) A Colleague of mine: "He deserves what he got. Those kind of people only wake-up after the accident!"
2) My best friend: "I was very disturbed to read what happened to the guy. Why do you drive like that Hassaan? When are you getting your off-road vehicle?" (indicating that an SUV won't put me in trouble)
3) My father: "You must have teased him! I am so worried about you as some people may feel jealous, envious and could hate you for owning such car. When are you getting your 2nd vehicle?"

You can see how the last two comments were not comforting at all. Nevertheless, I am over it right now. I feel sorry for the guy and I am determined to be more tolerant in the future for the other driver's sake.

lithium1330, what you wrote is valid and yes I could be pulled into it but not by law... instead by jealousy, envy or anger. Nevertheless, no way he could've got my plate number as when he was spinning I was more than 300 meters away and I am sure he couldn't think of anything! :crazy:

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
I had a nice long post authored about not giving chase, but as I thought about it more, I realized that I might have found myself in a similar situation.

Just yesterday I was driving home from MA (2 hour ride) and some guy in a Taurus kept making aggressive moves to get in front of me and keep me behind him. Like we were in some kind of contest. The first 2 or 3 times I just ignored him. Basic traffic flow kept putting me in front of him. Then he would get all bent out of shape and make some desperate aggressive move to get back in front of me. At one point I found myself creeping up on him again, me in the left lane, him in the right. When he saw me coming up he punched it. I knew what he was going to do. He was going to accellerate full bore toward the car in front of him and yank in front of me. At that point I had had enough. I dropped to third and dropped the hammer. I left him so far behind me that it was actually funny. But I kept it rolling to put some distance between myself and this idiot. He tried to chase me, but a Taurus stands no chance. After I passed the next on ramp, a bunch of cars pulled on and created a barrier between him and I. I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

He could have crashed while trying to chase me, and honestly if he did I would have felt bad. But this guy was his own worst enemy. He endangered a lot of people to satisfy his ego with those dive bomb lane changes in a car that's not safe in such maneuvers. I tired to take the high road, but it was getting so annoying and avoiding him was becoming tiresome.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I had a nice long post authored about not giving chase, but as I thought about it more, I realized that I might have found myself in a similar situation.

Just yesterday I was driving home from MA (2 hour ride) and some guy in a Taurus kept making aggressive moves to get in front of me and keep me behind him. Like we were in some kind of contest. The first 2 or 3 times I just ignored him. Basic traffic flow kept putting me in front of him. Then he would get all bent out of shape and make some desperate aggressive move to get back in front of me. At one point I found myself creeping up on him again, me in the left lane, him in the right. When he saw me coming up he punched it. I knew what he was going to do. He was going to accellerate full bore toward the car in front of him and yank in front of me. At that point I had had enough. I dropped to third and dropped the hammer. I left him so far behind me that it was actually funny. But I kept it rolling to put some distance between myself and this idiot. He tried to chase me, but a Taurus stands no chance. After I passed the next on ramp, a bunch of cars pulled on and created a barrier between him and I. I didn't have to deal with him anymore.

He could have crashed while trying to chase me, and honestly if he did I would have felt bad. But this guy was his own worst enemy. He endangered a lot of people to satisfy his ego with those dive bomb lane changes in a car that's not safe in such maneuvers. I tired to take the high road, but it was getting so annoying and avoiding him was becoming tiresome.
I do appreciate the situation you found yourself in and agree with your final solution. My first response to this type of aggression is generally to back off and try to ignore the "turkey". When confronted by someone who could put me or others in danger distance away, either front or back is the best solution. BTW I get really annoyed with myself if any of my responses are done in anger.:cheers::cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
GB it doesn't matter how tolerant one is there always comes a point where we do something out of the ordinary.

Generally I don't pass on the right even though many still do even though officially it's not legal. However after doing the Middle Eastern thing of flashing my lights several times at a car which is driving 10 Kms under the limit, which is actually 30 Kms under based on the police (by their own statements) and camera tolerance, I sometimes feel I have no choice as long as it's safe to do so. By the way the flashing lights thing is normal here and if you see how many drivers pay no attention to the road in front let alone behind you'd see why.

One thing I can't stand is tailgators and for that I will wash my windscreen and if the road becomes clear I'll boot it if safe to do so.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
There is this particular 90 degree two lane square bend I know off where it seems that more than just a few cars try to keep up with me around it. No race or anything, but so far two cars spun out behind me trying to keep up. :eek: Lucky I did not go slow or beside these guys. :eek::eek::eek:

Its also a good spot to test tyre grip levels and for me PS2s are better than continental.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
This reminds me of a time in my '88 E 30 M3. Circa 1989. I was commuting to work, during the days after the Loma Prieta earthquake, bypassing my usual route, the Cyprus Freeway that had collapsed. I was coming onto the freeway, with some guy in a GM fullsize vehicle, possible an old Chevy Caprice, pre antilock brakes. I had been accelerating to merge onto the freeway, with this guy following me much to closely. Then the traffic ahead was slowing rapidly, and I hit the excellent brakes in my BMW. Knowing the guy behind was probably barreling down on me, I found room to speed up, and get out of the way, but too late for him.

He had slammed on his brakes, to avoid hitting me, his non abs brakes had locked up his front wheels, and I watched as I sped on to work, his car did a sharp left turn, crashing into the concrete barrier, and could see him being impacted pancake style from the rear by other cars following him too closely, and also going too fast for the amount of space between vehicles. I immediately realized the importance of great brakes, including anti lock technology.

I never knew what happened to those people

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
This is a very interesting thread to me. So...who's going to be the first to admit he too tried to chase another car with a lesser car?

I guess I will. Sometimes when I was in my daily beater I chased expensive, performance cars that went extra fast on the street, even though I too own a performance car (CS). Not trying to show my driving skill. Not that I expected my beater could match the other car's performance. In my mind I guess I was hoping to show the "reckless driver in an expensive car" that he had wasted his money on a car that, when not raced on a track, in the end would be going no faster than my 20-year old 4-rusted-cylinder beater because of the stop lights, traffic, speed limits, etc.

There...perhaps now you guys know why some people in a lousy car might dare chase you? :)

Anyway, won't do that anymore (hopefully). Reading you guys' stories here reminds me that it's very dangerous and simply not worth it. Guess I was lucky I haven't crashed into anything...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts