Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not an unfamiliar story but I was cheated today out of a 2014 Boxster that I had negotiated with them on Monday. I had test drove the car the day before but we could not agree on a price. Afterwards I had regrets and sent them an email say if the offer stood, that I would buy the car. I offered to put a deposit down on the car if they wanted. Spoke to the salesman on Monday and after a internal discussion he came back and agreed. We agreed I would pick up the car on Thursday. This morning I get a call from a different salesman just confirming the pickup time (11am). Then the same guy calls back in the afternoon to tell me that its my bad luck, another salesman sold the car. Never once did anyone tell me that without giving them a check the car was still up for sale.

I wasted more time talking to the sales manager who basically said that "these things happen" and "it was too bad for me". Also stating that I should have been told that without a check the car was available to anyone.

Very frustrating, very disappointing. My first time buying a used car if you can tell and the first time buying a Porsche. Does not leave a good taste in my mouth. Is this honestly what I should expect from a Porsche dealer?

I would definitely say stay away from Sonnen Porsche.

I'm going to write letters to Porsche NA, et. al. in the hopes that they can help me in some ways.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So, you never put a deposit down, or did you?

It sucks, but without a deposit, youre really at the mercy of chance. Good cars go really fast! It's in the dealers best interest to make a sale ASAP!

I wouldn't hold anything against the dealer unless he sold a car that I had put a deposit down on and made a trip to go see.

Several cars that I was looking at and seriously considering suddenly became unavailable due to another putting a deposit down.
Matt

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I never put down a deposit but I offered to use have them charge my CC or fedex them a check. They never asked me, never told me that without signing now the car was available to anyone, and according to the general manager, they don't accept deposits on a used car - another point they never mentioned.

And I did go see the car - a 1.5hr drive from where I live.

They called me today to tell me everything was on track for my pickup so how would I not hold this against them - do you still think I am wrong here?

·
Registered
42 Posts
PS You can't blame the dealer as unless they have a deposit, they have to assume you could walk at any point. I'm sure many people walk on them constantly after they have the "deal done."

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't understand why someone with the avatar of "BayArea" would say these cars are a dime a dozen. I can find only one in the Bay Area indicated as a 2014 CPO Boxster, less than 15k miles, under $50k and its lime green.

Otherwise the point of lack of deposit has been hammered home to me. I work in a customer facing position, and I know very well that a customer can be very fickle. That is why we are painful detailed about what the customer can and cannot expect. The products I deal with are often part of multi-million dollar deals and their unit list is easily the cost of a new Carrera. But I am fortunate that we are not having to decide if we sell to one or only to another, so perhaps this is bad on me thinking that a Porsche dealer is somehow different than any used car salesman.

I can't help but feel that Sonnen had decided to operate this way because the deal they gave me was very good and that is why they decided to let me hang. At this point it is a lesson learned, but what I wanted to know, and I think I have learned, is that a Porsche dealer is no different than the corner used car salesman. Regardless of the amount, they will sell you out. And that is the lesson I have learned today. I will try to avoid generalizing this behavior to all Porsche sales people but it will be difficult and probably better for me to assume the worst. I regularly deal with German (Munich, Dusseldorf, Dresden, etc.) companies and my experience is that personal responsibility and commitment is very strong in their culture. I think it would bother them quite a bit to see this kind of behavior.

Regardless I am finished with my soap box. I appreciate the feedback but I have to say I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quick search shows Walnut Creek has a 2015 Agate Grey Base with 15k miles for 50k.

Sonnen has a 2014 Black Base with 9k miles for 48k. (Maybe this is the one that you were trying to buy)??

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I offered to put a deposit down on the car if they wanted. Spoke to the salesman on Monday and after a internal discussion he came back and agreed.
This is called offer and acceptance. It means you have a contract, in this case a verbal one, but AFAIK verbal contracts are enforceable in California. You could get an attorney and sue, force them to sell you the car or another car of your choosing, but the cost of doing so will likely exceed the cost of the car in attorney fees, plus all the time and effort. You could, however, take them to small claims court seeking damages for your costs in searching for another car as long as those costs don't go over the maximum for small claims court (in my area it is $5000). That would at least "punish" the dealer for their actions with very little cost to you. Something to consider if you feel you were truly wronged.

BTW not legal advice you aren't my client, etc. etc. seek an attorney in your area for legal advice etc. etc.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm not sure what method you are using to search for your vehicle but I have used the " Porsche Pre Owned Car Locator ".

Here's the link, it will show as a " ERROR " but the link operates.

ERROR

You can search by quite a few parameters - price range, geographic location, transmission type etc.

Good luck and as a side note the car dealers in general treat CPO cars like they were gold and really don't negotiate too much on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
I feel like I had a great experience buying from an independent dealer, guessing the only time I would ever buy from a Porsche dealer would be if either I was buying a new car (not going to happen) or personally knew the salesperson. Sorry you had a bad experience especially with a car that is nothing but magnificent.

My dealer was 100% transparent and I knew all costs upfront. Really nice to have that confidence when making an expensive purchase.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In my opinion.... LET IT GO. Go back to the dealer and work with them. You now have leverage as a damaged client. Let them search for a car you really like with the options you need and then negotiate a really good price. Do not burn any bridges with them.

This happens all over the place; with real estate, with stuff on Craigslist, with used cars. You have to be quick and decisive in this world with billions of people competing for the same "stuff".

Life's too short to dwell on stuff like this; fight back and make some lemonade!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
In my opinion.... LET IT GO. Go back to the dealer and work with them. You now have leverage as a damaged client. Let them search for a car you really like with the options you need and then negotiate a really good price. Do not burn any bridges with them.

This happens all over the place; with real estate, with stuff on Craigslist, with used cars. You have to be quick and decisive in this world with billions of people competing for the same "stuff".

Life's too short to dwell on stuff like this; fight back and make some lemonade!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Beg to differ but verbal contracts are unenforceable unless you have a recording! Otherwise it is he said you said. You need a deposit and a receipt with description of item. Otherwise it's just good or bad luck. Sorry for your loss, but lesson learned for the next time.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts

Me three! Go back and talk to them.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Lesson learned........you see what you want, put down a deposit. As others have said, if they do not have your money, the next person walking in with a fistful of dollars is a guarantee sale.

·
Registered
294 Posts

++++++1!
Use this to your advantage.

The folks at Sonnen are awesome. Best dealer in the Bay Area. TALK to them, they are car guys that actually care. They've gone out of their way for me (in Sales and in the Service department), and I'm not any kind of VIP or anything.

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are kidding? After they called to tell me it was sold, I contacted the general manager. All I got from him was the same - sucks for you - this was unfortunate, happens to them all the time, you should have put the money down, etc. No acknowledgement that they screwed me, etc. So I've sent letters to both the owner of Sonnen and Porsche of North America outlining the poor handling of my non-sale.

At this point I have moved on from Sonnen but it seems I have a different fiasco brewing at a Porsche of Las Vegas. Too early to call but it seems they completely misrepresented a car online (car hasn't even passed smog inspection) but I will wait and see if they somehow mixed up cars. Really unfortunate if it turns out as the card had everything I wanted except more miles than I wanted. I think the earlier poster about being quick and decisive was correct but you also need to do due diligence (I was just about to give my deposit into LV before I found out that the car was misrepresented).

·
Registered
294 Posts
You are kidding? After they called to tell me it was sold, I contacted the general manager. All I got from him was the same - sucks for you - this was unfortunate, happens to them all the time, you should have put the money down, etc. No acknowledgement that they screwed me, etc. So I've sent letters to both the owner of Sonnen and Porsche of North America outlining the poor handling of my non-sale.

At this point I have moved on from Sonnen but it seems I have a different fiasco brewing at a Porsche of Las Vegas. Too early to call but it seems they completely misrepresented a car online (car hasn't even passed smog inspection) but I will wait and see if they somehow mixed up cars. Really unfortunate if it turns out as the card had everything I wanted except more miles than I wanted. I think the earlier poster about being quick and decisive was correct but you also need to do due diligence (I was just about to give my deposit into LV before I found out that the car was misrepresented).
Not kidding, ajahearn.

Think of it from Sonnen's point of view. Someone else came in (with money) to buy the car. Should they have turned that person away because you had expressed interest, yet not left a deposit?

C'mon man, common sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.