Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2012 Boxster S just triggered the check engine light the second time in the past two weeks. Both times were triggered when the gas dropped to about 1/4 tank low.

This is the most recent events:
1. Got the first CEL about two weeks ago when the gas was 1/4 low. Filled up the gas and had the light reset at a Porsche shop. The code indicated a minor leak in the system. Tech did a quick test and didn't find the problem after the reset and the car ran fine for a week.
2. Replaced the gas cap a week later (last weekend).
3. Got the second CEL today when gas dropped to about 1/4 tank again.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Eneloopy

·
Registered
815 Posts
I cant help but, when my '08 gets low it beeps, turns on the low fuel light and a yellow light. I think its the check engine light but its been a while... Anyway it all clears when I fill it up. Its pretty low, I may let the lights come on tomorrow before I fill up and report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

My 2012 Boxster S just triggered the check engine light the second time in the past two weeks. Both times were triggered when the gas dropped to about 1/4 tank low.

This is the most recent events:
1. Got the first CEL about two weeks ago when the gas was 1/4 low. Filled up the gas and had the light reset at a Porsche shop. The code indicated a minor leak in the system. Tech did a quick test and didn't find the problem after the reset and the car ran fine for a week.
2. Replaced the gas cap a week later (last weekend).
3. Got the second CEL today when gas dropped to about 1/4 tank again.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Eneloopy
BTW, I ordered an OEM gas cap from Amazon so it looked the same as the original one. I filled up the tank yesterday and heard some gas coming out of the filler when I opened the cap so I'd assume the seal should be fine.

Any inputs?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
What was the code? Best guess is that gas cap was not sealing. Maybe it was loose. Or it could need to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't get the code from the shop but I remembered he mentioned vapor leak in the system.

I've replaced the gas cap with an OEM one last week but it still didn't help. I always over turn the cap to get a few clicks so it should be tight.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I didn't get the code from the shop but I remembered he mentioned vapor leak in the system.

I've replaced the gas cap with an OEM one last week but it still didn't help. I always over turn the cap to get a few clicks so it should be tight.
Did you replace the cap before or after that last check engine light? Emission related codes don't clear themselves after the fault is fixed. Are you sure he didn't say vacuum leak?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the gas cap with an OEM one after the code was cleared. Unfortunately, check engine light came back after the gas went down to one notch lower than 1/2, about 1/3 full.

I don't drive a lot due to the short commutes and I hope it's not related.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts