Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Not many options. Drain the oil and measure it? I don't remember if Durametric or PWIWS has a way of reading the electronic oil level sensor.

Reactions: Boristhespyder

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The answer is replacing the display ASAP. If that doesn't mesh with your schedule I would change the oil, measure what the drained volume was accounting for the filter housing too and replace same volumes with new oil. Upon change note the mileage. You should be able to safely drive at least two thousand miles without thinking of checking it, that will buy you some time to get the display corrected.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at Durametric but did not see any indication of the tester giving me an oil level value. The only thing that I can come up with is a very long plastic tie wrap . I inserted it through the oil fill port. I could tell there is oil in it. I agree I am going to change the display asap. I just don’t trust using a sensor for level detection. I‘m a retired Electrical engineer and know how level sensors fail at times. Everything has a mean time before failure. The thing is we do know the mtbf for the oil sensor. We could see when a dip stick fails.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
On a 2009 Boxster 2.9L - the Foxwell NT530 does have an oil-fill function that shows you exactly how much oil you have in the engine and how much you'd need to add to being it up to full. I is quite useful, especially since it doesn't require X number of drive cycles to occur before it reads out. It does however require the oil reaching a temperature (90C if I remember correctly) before it will allow for the oil reading. Strangely 200 on it's readout is "full" 100 on the readout is 1 liter low. That's a but confusing at first.

Reactions: foodbiker

·
Super Moderator
227 Posts
I agree with the above. I'd just swap out that display immediately and then proceed from there.

Having carefully dealt with an overfill situation last year from the previous owner, measuring oil isn't always ideal and is messy - no matter what you do.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
125 Posts
On a 2009 Boxster 2.9L - the Foxwell NT530 does have an oil-fill function that shows you exactly how much oil you have in the engine and how much you'd need to add to being it up to full. I is quite useful, especially since it doesn't require X number of drive cycles to occur before it reads out. It does however require the oil reaching a temperature (90C if I remember correctly) before it will allow for the oil reading. Strangely 200 on it's readout is "full" 100 on the readout is 1 liter low. That's a but confusing at first.
So is the Foxwell a way to get a more granular oil reading? If so, that gives me one more reason to get one. I really dislike the "bar" method on our cars which provides a very crude reading.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
So is the Foxwell a way to get a more granular oil reading? If so, that gives me one more reason to get one. I really dislike the "bar" method on our cars which provides a very crude reading.
I believe it is.. my use of it has been after changing the oil and putting in 7.5L - determining how much more to put in to bring it to full. It does that quite nicely.

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Yeah I guess a Foxwell to add to my Durametric is a before the next brake flush grab.
Once you get it you might as well sell the Durametric (assuming it has some vin#'s left on it..) I haven't used mine since I got the Foxwell.

Reactions: Boristhespyder

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank! I just bought one.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Oh Great. I still have 1 VIN left on my Durametric and I was thinking it would be worth about $100 when it was no longer needed. I have a feeling it's residual value just dropped :(

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your suggestions they are very helpful. I do have a couple of questions. I got my nt530 and am using it to check my oil level on my boxster 2007. There are a few values I could use clarification on. If you don’t mind.compensated display oil level and non compensated display oil level. What should they be?

·
Administrator
2,000 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions they are very helpful. I do have a couple of questions. I got my nt530 and am using it to check my oil level on my boxster 2007. There are a few values I could use clarification on. If you don’t mind.compensated display oil level and non compensated display oil level. What should they be?
I have absolutely no idea - the oil measurement system changed between the 987.1 cars and the 987.2 cars - your 987.1 display is completely different from mine.

If I had to guess (and that's ALL this is - a guess) - the "Compensated Display" - is that the number of bars showing on the dash display? "Uncompensated"? Dunno - but since it's a level readout - I wonder if 200 means full, and your 169 reading means it's 169/200 % full? Doesn't make a lot of sense - perhaps asking on the Foxwell Facebook page might be useful. Foxwell OBD Scanner | Facebook

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have absolutely no idea - the oil measurement system changed between the 987.1 cars and the 987.2 cars - your 987.1 display is completely different from mine.

If I had to guess (and that's ALL this is - a guess) - the "Compensated Display" - is that the number of bars showing on the dash display? "Uncompensated"? Dunno - but since it's a level readout - I wonder if 200 means full, and your 169 reading means it's 169/200 % full? Doesn't make a lot of sense - perhaps asking on the Foxwell Facebook page might be useful. Foxwell OBD Scanner | Facebook
Thanks, will do.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
A key is the units. It says uncompensated is 169mm. Sounds like a reading of the level somewhere (sump?). And yes, the compensated "displayed" level sounds like a graphical display.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The was my guess on the compensated display and you may be correct on the on the uncompensated.

Thanks again!
After driving for 30 minutes parked it on level area. I waited 5 minutes then checked the oil level again, the uncompensated value went up to 190 and the compensated to 5. I’m guessing the oil level is ok. My next oil change I will have a better handle on the value versus the amount of oil I put in.

Thanks for input

1 - 20 of 31 Posts