Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to check the oil level in my Cayman today. I followed the instructions in the Owner's Manual, but nothing happened when I moved the lever on the steering wheel. Are you supposed to choose the oil measurement function on the multi-function display BEFORE turning off the ignition and waiting for about one minute? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Not THAT lever. That controls your windshield wipers. Try the one below it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Nothing happens? Quite odd, the lever should toggle through many menus depending on the options you have. I believe it's push to move down a level, up and down to toggle, and pull to go up a level.

There is a little bar that indicates which level you're on (the photo shows the top or vehicle level). With each flick of the lever up or down you move to another level. You then push or pull to move within that level. The oil in under the Vehicle level. If moving the lever does nothing, you certainly have a malfunctioning multi-gage.

Attachments

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing happens? Quite odd, the lever should toggle through many menus depending on the options you have. I believe it's push to move down a level, up and down to toggle, and pull to go up a level.

There is a little bar that indicates which level you're on (the photo shows the top or vehicle level). With each flick of the lever up or down you move to another level. You then push or pull to move within that level. The oil in under the Vehicle level. If moving the lever does nothing, you certainly have a malfunctioning multi-gage.
Yes, I was seeing the information in your photo BEFORE I turned off the ignition --- then I was just seeing the word Cayman and the Cayman logo before waiting a minute to check the oil level. I thought that was the way I had checked the oil level in the past. When I drive my Cayman over the weekend, I will try choosing the oil level function BEFORE turning off the ignition, waiting a minute and try checking the oil level. If it still doesn't work, I will need to schedule an appointment with the dealer to have the multi-function display checked out.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Yes, I was seeing the information in your photo BEFORE I turned off the ignition --- then I was just seeing the word Cayman and the Cayman logo before waiting a minute to check the oil level. I thought that was the way I had checked the oil level in the past. When I drive my Cayman over the weekend, I will try choosing the oil level function BEFORE turning off the ignition, waiting a minute and try checking the oil level. If it still doesn't work, I will need to schedule an appointment with the dealer to have the multi-function display checked out.
Try this: turn off ignition, turn on ignition without starting the engine. Now use the stalk to navigate the menu.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Just to clarify, when you see the oil level, you're no longer getting a good read. Instead, you're reading the level the last time the car had reached full operating temperature. Thus if you use the car occasionally and run mostly short errands, you may be looking at out-of-date information. When you open the rear hatch and it stays open for a short time, the old information is erased, not to be replaced by new info until, once again, you reach full operating temperature. This is the price of Porsche's foolish decision to take away our dip sticks--a move that makes perfect sense for a Civic driven by a non-enthusiast, but utterly nuts for Porsches.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 2006 checks the oil before you start the car by just turning the key on and not starting. When cold it takes 30 minutes. When hot it's sometimes 5 seconds. Have they changed this feature?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
a move that makes perfect sense for a Civic driven by a non-enthusiast, but utterly nuts for Porsches.
Amen to that, brother. Drove me nuts on the E92 M3... but you can invoke a 'reset', by holding the select button down for a few seconds while on the oil level screen, and with the car IDLING at full operating temperature (after a trip). The level would clear with '---', and after a few minutes, you'd get the new reading. I always did that right at the same spot on my garage, to 'accurately' (the better word would be 'consistently' IMO) measure oil level and oil consumption. The M3 gets a new reading with every ignition cycle, AND when engine reaches normal operating temperature, which could happen on an inclined ramp, while taking a curve, etc., AND 5 or 20 minutes later, who knows where. That's just ridiculous, since at every ignition cycle, you can get a different reading. But as mentioned above, you can get a new reading at will on BMWs. Isn't a way to do the same on Porsches? If not, that's just idiotic, since you'd NEVER be able to get consistent measurements. The GTR has the best of both worlds in that department: a dipstick, plus an accurate sensor that reads level instantly when you first turn the engine on. Plus it warns you of low oil level. But the damn thing only holds 5 quarts of oil, if you can believe that crap.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Checking the oil level is a black art on a 981, even with fresh oil.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The 2006 checks the oil before you start the car by just turning the key on and not starting. When cold it takes 30 minutes. When hot it's sometimes 5 seconds. Have they changed this feature?
My works the opposite....5 seconds when cold and more when hot and the hot time frame varies. Never near as long as 30 minutes. Maybe 5-10 minutes tops.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I used to wait until the engine was warm enough and then turn the engine off before checking the oil level on the display. Then I realized that once the motor is up to temp you can just check the oil level while the car is running without having to turn it off.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used to wait until the engine was warm enough and then turn the engine off before checking the oil level on the display. Then I realized that once the motor is up to temp you can just check the oil level while the car is running without having to turn it off.
While you CAN, does that yield as accurate a reading as the very specific "Off and wait a minute" instructions?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The reading you get with the engine running is showing you your last reading with the engine off. The only way to get the current level is with the engine off for aprox 60 seconds and with the key turned on.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The only way to get the current level is with the engine off for aprox 60 seconds and with the key turned on.
Good to know, but do you know at what time does the computer check oil level? After starting the car with cold oil, or after shutting it down with hot oil? I'd assume the latter, but hopefully you'll know. Since engine has to be HOT, the procedure to check oil level after an oil change should be as follows: take car for a ride, pull into your garage, shut engine off, wait a minute, turn ignition on (don't start engine), and get the reading. Is that correct? Thanks man.

As a side comment, on dry-sump engines, NEVER check oil level without at least turning engine on first. I know you cannot do that on Porsches for lack of a dipstick (and that very well be one of the main reasons not to have one... besides cost :)). Just an FYI for those new to dry sumps. Many folks blew engines on dry-sump Vettes by doing that. Since level shows very low, those folks poured oil until level showed fine... but they were several quarts overfilled.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The reading you get with the engine running is showing you your last reading with the engine off. The only way to get the current level is with the engine off for aprox 60 seconds and with the key turned on.
Thanks. A black art, IMO. Silly me, thinking the picture on the MFD was current.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If the level ever gets low, the ECU will notify you. So what's the point of checking the level? If there is no low-level warning before you check the level, you know that it's not low so why check? It's worthwhile checking before departing on a trip or after an oil change, but why bother in daily driving? It's as pointless as pinching yourself to see if you're awake. (Disclaimer: I periodically check my level and pinch myself, but I know both are pointless.)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Yes.

(and that very well be one of the main reasons not to have one... besides cost :)).
The lack of a dipstick has nothing to do with cost. It has everything to do with the buying public's refusal to check the oil level. Porsche, in particular, thought it easier if the consumer would just push a button. Google it. Technology Alert: The dipstick's demise is blamed on dilatory drivers

If the level ever gets low, the ECU will notify you. So what's the point of checking the level?
That is a good question.

First, we are much luckier than some cars because you got what maybe 9 - 11 quarts of oil? So if you are down a quart. How much damage is done? I would guess there is a pretty big safety margin in there. This is not true in other cars where there is only 4 quarts in the sump. If you are down a quart, that's a lot. Further, the sensors might not be as sophisticated. Once the warning light goes on, its too late.

Second, Porsche owners "in general" have always known and always carried an extra quart of oil in the car. It's SOP. There is a reason Suncoast sells these Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Mobil 1 Oil Bag and I'll guess it is a perennial best seller. So why bother checking? Now think about the "general buying public", not a handful of auto enthusiasts.

1. Do they keep an extra quart of the correct oil in the car? If on a long trip, will it be there so they can pull over and add a quart?

2. If not, is the correct oil easy to find? This isn't 1965 anymore where you can go to any gas station and find any old oil and throw it in. You know, back in the day, they ALWAYS checked your water and oil and added a quart if needed. Today? ROFL. You are going to want the correct weight Mobil 1 (or at least synthetic). How far will they have to drive to find the correct oil?

Maxwell Smart kind find the box/cay engine :)

3. If at home, same question. Does the average person keep extra quarts of oil in the house. If so, how old. Amazing enough, Mobil 1 does have a shelf life https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/shelf-life-of-unopened-mobil-1-quarts

4. WHY have you lost a quart of oil? Did it all go down in a week? or in a year? Big, big difference if you don't know the time frame. If its a normal amount of oil loss over a year, OK. :) But, if you lost it all in a couple of weeks, wouldn't you want to know that? :( Is something else going on?

Check your oil level when you get gas or every other time depending upon how often you buy gas. It never hurts to check. It might hurt not to :(

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Excellent point. With an 8 qt capacity, the "reached min. warning" will trip before any damage could be done. My Subaru only has a 4 qt capacity so if I'm down 1 qt, that's pretty scary. Down 1 qt in the 981, and I wouldn't lose any sleep (unless it occurred frequently/quickly of course). My Husaberg has a 1.45 qt capacity! I change that every 10 hours, but if I crack a case (as I have) and start losing some, I could get into major problems in short order. The large capacity of the 981 is a big safety cushion.

Reactions: chows4us
1 - 20 of 24 Posts