Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here. Thinking of picking up an older Cayman. Whenever I have bought vehicles in the past I drive them then check the dipstick. Looking for white froth/sludge/water. Is there any convenient way to see oil condition without loosening the drain plug or filter? Is there any manual dipstick or is it totally replaced with the electronic system?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
239 Posts
The add is located on the little square cover next to the engine cover. You can pull that cap to add oil.... if the HG was bad there would be many other red flags..

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
90 Posts
I agree, I like having a dipstick to check oil condition (color, odor and 'slipperyness' [sic]).

I'll ask this question again (I asked in another thread w/o an answer - yet) ... has anybody found a way to add a dipstick on the M97 motors?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've been on these Porsche forums and blogs, a least a half dozen of them, for 12 years now. And no one has ever reported doing so. It has been suggested that the path to the oil pan is somewhat convoluted and "you can't get there from here". On cars that have dip sticks, the path is generally a pretty straight run into the pan. The engineering to add one would be pretty unique I suspect.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
90 Posts
Yet they're present on the M96 motors? ... 'go figger'

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yup my 986 M96 engine had one but as Budman noted, the over the river and through the woods path to the pan made reading it more of a "tarot card" oil reading.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
you can check the oil cap at the rear of the car or via the oil filter and BTW usually when we check the oil, we're not checking for water. We're checking for er.... other stuff...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The simplest way is to buy a replacement filter and 1 qt of oil (most likely Mobil 1 0W-40). Jack up the car using whatever method you find using a jack and wood or tri support stands. Then carefully remove the filter case from the car. The filter and case will contain about 1/2 qt of oil that you will need to refill. Do not over fill the sump.

Then you can do you stuff to oil and filter. Many of us use metal scissors to cut apart the paper filter on the ends. Then expand the accordion like weave flat. With a powerful lamp, look for metal filaments or other objects that maybe metal or piston coatings. If none of these are present, you are in good shape, but still not out of the woods. You will need a borescope done to assure that borescoring has not started in any cylinder. A PPI with this requirement is expensive, but you will know what you are buying, which even a physicial dipstick could not give you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts