Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you folks who live in the chicagoland area know of good fun roads? Besides a small stretch of sheridan road in the northshore, I really have not found any. Everything around here seems to be flat and boring. Please share... :thanks:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for those. I have not taken either of those routes. will look at them this weeeknd. the short route along sheridan rd that I refered to is this on one:

btw, I can't seem to figure out how to make it hyperlink like yours. it is a short stretch of rd, but with a few slower quick and short esses (taken at 40mph = fun).

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Any of you folks who live in the chicagoland area know of good fun roads? Besides a small stretch of sheridan road in the northshore, I really have not found any. Everything around here seems to be flat and boring. Please share... :thanks:
You want good roads? I'll show you good roads but you have to be willing to drive all day or even overnight. SW Wisconsin around LaCrosse is the best. From the Marengo exit off I-90, I have a route that's all back roads, stops in New Glarus for lunch and includes the best twisties and scenery in the Midwest. Actually, some of these roads are among the best in the US.

I learned this route from some BMW motorcycle guys and have perfected it on two wheels over the years. We go each labor day weekend on bikes but this year, one of the guys had a mechanical problem and I rode home on Saturday and got the CS so he could finish the weekend with us. The car was a total hit and very fun on these roads.

This trip is best done in Spring or Fall. Lunch in New Glarus and stay overnight in LaCrosse at the Holiday Inn there. It's walking distance to two great restaurants, an ice cream shop and a lot of college bars. We like to do a 3 day weekend and spend one full day just running a big loop around LaCrosse and coming in for a dip in the pool before dinner. Then just relax and take your time on the drive home.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want good roads? I'll show you good roads but you have to be willing to drive all day or even overnight. SW Wisconsin around LaCrosse is the best. From the Marengo exit off I-90, I have a route that's all back roads, stops in New Glarus for lunch and includes the best twisties and scenery in the Midwest. Actually, some of these roads are among the best in the US.

I learned this route from some BMW motorcycle guys and have perfected it on two wheels over the years. We go each labor day weekend on bikes but this year, one of the guys had a mechanical problem and I rode home on Saturday and got the CS so he could finish the weekend with us. The car was a total hit and very fun on these roads.

This trip is best done in Spring or Fall. Lunch in New Glarus and stay overnight in LaCrosse at the Holiday Inn there. It's walking distance to two great restaurants, an ice cream shop and a lot of college bars. We like to do a 3 day weekend and spend one full day just running a big loop around LaCrosse and coming in for a dip in the pool before dinner. Then just relax and take your time on the drive home.
have you posted details of this route? if so, I might have missed it when I searched. if so, can you cross post it here for future reference? thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the fun part of that bit of rd is really from scott ave to tower rd. it's really short. I wish I had that for miles on end. I have been known to do that pass 5 times in a row back and forth :hilarious: my girlfiend makes fun of me, but at least she likes it too.
Yeah, that's an awesome bit of road! It was such a shame when they were doing construction on Sheridan because that stretch made the commute awesome :)

how did you make it a link?
Just go to maps.google.com, create the route you want (it understands intersections and is very smart), then click the "link" button in the top right. I usually use something like tinyurl or bit.ly to shorten the link.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You want good roads? I'll show you good roads but you have to be willing to drive all day or even overnight. SW Wisconsin around LaCrosse is the best.
I'd have to agree. SW Wisconsin has great roads! I just spent the weekend in Mineral Point, and tooling around the area roads in my Cayman. Pick almost any County Road in that area, and you'll be rewarded with great twisties, virtually no traffic, and beautiful scenery. Bear in mind that it is farm country... so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for deer, loose cattle, and slow moving tractors on the roads. By the way, Mineral Point is a really neat town if you like art galleries and that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll need to get out of the Peoples Republik of Illinois for good roads. Expect tickets on Sheriden.

Try Kettle Morraine area. 1.5 hours from Northshore, alot of bueatiful, scenic roads. Try H, ZZ, N, Z.

I second New Glarus as well for a nice drive and lunch, brewery visit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You'll need to get out of the Peoples Republik of Illinois for good roads. Expect tickets on Sheriden.

Try Kettle Morraine area. 1.5 hours from Northshore, alot of bueatiful, scenic roads. Try H, ZZ, N, Z.

I second New Glarus as well for a nice drive and lunch, brewery visit.
I don't know if I should feel stupid, but I don't understand some of your post. Where is "kettle morraine" and what is H ZZ N Z?

·
Registered
70 Posts
County roads in WI are designated with letters... hence H, ZZ, etc. The county roads generally have less traffic and more sharp curves than the state highways (those are the roads designated with numbers).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd have to agree. SW Wisconsin has great roads! I just spent the weekend in Mineral Point, and tooling around the area roads in my Cayman. Pick almost any County Road in that area, and you'll be rewarded with great twisties, virtually no traffic, and beautiful scenery. Bear in mind that it is farm country... so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for deer, loose cattle, and slow moving tractors on the roads. By the way, Mineral Point is a really neat town if you like art galleries and that sort of thing.
I want to empasize the farm country part. There are also a lot of Amish ppl up in that area which equals buggys on the road. The curves are an issue, but some of the hills can be more deadly. I know it sucks, but slow down until after you crest or you may smack into a buggy before you know it.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Mineral Point is still a little too far East but a great place to stay. Brewery Pub Inn has great food. In that area, I love 39 out of New Glarus to Mineral Point. Following 191 off 39 from Hollandale to Dodgeville is fun too.

But the roads get better....After either of those routes, head to Highland. In Highland take Q West to G. Turn left. Go a mile or so to M on the right. OMG!

Then somehow (GPS) find your way across the river to Boaz, WI (County E North off Hwy 60). Take 191 West from Boaz all the way to the shore of the mighty Mississippi. (This section of 171 may be the best road on the planet. I'm convinced of it every time I drive it.) Turn North on the River Road. Go slow for a while through Ferryville then take the first left a mile or so past. I think it's 82. Cross the river on the islands and the ridiculous metal bridge and turn right on 26. Head up the Iowa side which soon becomes the Minnesota side.

In Brownsville, MN, watch the left side of the road for one of those steep driveway lookin' roads with a beer sign. I think the name is Hilltop Inn. If you drive past, you can come up the back way about 1/4 mile later. Great little air conditioned bar and grill with big windows up there. There are lots of stairs and some great views across a wide part of the river. On a clear day, you can see LaCrosse.

In La Cresent, make a right at the light, Rt 61 & 12. Left at light after you've crossed. Go a few blocks and turn left again. Head down towards the river. Look for a parking deck. The Holiday Inn is not far. Park in the deck on the 2nd floor and take the pedestrian bridge right into the lobby for check-in. You can walk to all required services in LaCrosse from there. Great spot. The two best restaurants in the area are walking distance. "Piggy's" and "The Freight House".

Next Day, find County P and take that East to Rockton. This is a great road that lasts a while. The Rockton Bar is a snowmobile spot in winter and a Harley spot in summer. Great BBQ chicken on Sundays. Everyone is friendly. You're safe there. No gang behavior, but don't expect to be fussed over either. No one cares what you're driving. They only care what they're riding!

Nearby a bit North is Wildcat Mountain. The road up it is pretty big fun if there's no traffic. Motorcycles have a big advantage if there is, but you might get lucky....Drive carefully. There is a State Park at the top and you can drive through and walk a short walk to a great overlook. Great for eagle and hawk spotting.

LaCrosse County doesn't have so many buggy hazards, but there is always the possibility of an eye opener of some sort over a rise or around a blind turn, so driving well involves a sporting pace, but not a race pace. Risk/Reward is what to keep in mind on any public road.

Avoid being a pest to the locals. Slow down when you see people near the road or a parking lot with cars moving around. Give them some room when you can. Wave when you have the opportunity. Pass responsibly. Enjoying a sports car out in the country is OK. Scaring people, spraying gravel, "precision driving" a foot away from a pedestrian or a slower car or a construction crew may be possible, but it's not a good manners and is generally frowned upon as is other bad juju risky behavior. If people complain enough, we'll see radar traps and hostility in the future. These roads are a precious resource. Don't drive as fast as you can. Drive as fast as is prudent and still fun.

That's still pretty damned fast on these roads, believe me. A little patience and good stewardship goes a long way. You can drive back roads all day here. The roads I've outlined are just a sample, so there's no hurry. Speed is for the fun of it.

Know the risks and keep a pace that allows you to deal with uncertainties if they come up. I've lead groups through these roads on bikes at sporting velocities for years. You just need to anticipate, look through the turns, slow in-fast out, etc. For me, this is real driving...or riding as the case may be. Done right, it occupies all your senses and is a true joy.

Generally, the letter roads are not patrolled. The corollary of that statement is that it takes a real long time for help to arrive if you have an off and your cell phone probably won't work. Carry water and just don't go off. Ask me how I know.

Slow down when you get to a town. They are patrolled. The river roads ARE patrolled, especially the Wisconsin side. They aren't twisty anyway, so the best way to enjoy them is just put the cruise on and take in the scenery, which is spectacular. The major arteries are patrolled...Like US 14, WI 69, US 18, US 12.

Back Road touring like this is the most fun you can have with your pants on...assuming you wear pants while you drive....up to you entirely. Enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts