Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make my Cayman child friendly! My wife and I are in the process of adopting and we should be picking up our one year old baby boy in the next couple of weeks.:banana:

I realize that I need the air bag deactivation switch installed, but how many of you use a child seat without the seat latch system installed? Also are there any other good options besides the Britax and Porsche seats? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I need to make my Cayman child friendly! My wife and I are in the process of adopting and we should be picking up our one year old baby boy in the next couple of weeks.:banana:

I realize that I need the air bag deactivation switch installed, but how many of you use a child seat without the seat latch system installed? Also are there any other good options besides the Britax and Porsche seats? Thanks!
You may not need the switch at all. If the child is under a certain weight, with the car seat, the bag shuts off automatically. Rather, it doesn't arm until the threshold weight is reached. It's in the owner's manual. See page 51 of 2006 manual.

I take my grand daughter and she is four.

My daughter had to approve the event.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wish I could help, but the only child allowed in my car is my inner child!!

Good luck and, especially, congratulations on the adoption. Life may never be the same, but much in the way of rewards!:cheers:

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I have the Porsche child seats which come with the latch system. However it is no longer needed and I believe it only fits 986. When i had the airbag switches installed they did not install the latch bars. Also I almost never turn the airbag switch off and yes the airbag deactivates under 50lbs preassure on the seat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

Congratulations, I have a 15 month old baby girl. Me and her make about 50% of our journeys in the Boxster :)

I added the tequipment ISOFIX latches to my Sports Seat in the Boxster along with the airbag de-activation key. I would only consider running without the latches for short journeys and even then only use a rear-facing child seat.

I was recommended to de-activate the airbag until my little one is 18 months old. I was also recommended to try and keep a rear facing seat in the car until then but my baby is too tall for that so I have the forward facing Maxi-Cosi in there.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you also put a protector matt underneath any baby seat as these seats can make some horrific imprints due to their weight :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys -Thanks for the congrats and the feedback. I will certainly get a seat protector. I might try the Britax Marathon seat I have read about here and see how it fastens without the latches for now.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Hi Guys -Thanks for the congrats and the feedback. I will certainly get a seat protector. I might try the Britax Marathon seat I have read about here and see how it fastens without the latches for now.
Have you checked our Articles section? There is a LATCH kit install article and a toddler seat install article both in our Articles section!

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Biggest issue i have seen is the deep and narrow seating surface of porsche seats. Many Child seats will not fit inside the sidebolsters and therefor slide left and right. the Porsche seats have base that fits the seats. make sure you test before you purchase. I use a black foam yoga mat under the seats to prevent damage and indentation.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Biggest issue i have seen is the deep and narrow seating surface of porsche seats. Many Child seats will not fit inside the sidebolsters and therefor slide left and right. the Porsche seats have base that fits the seats. make sure you test before you purchase. I use a black foam yoga mat under the seats to prevent damage and indentation.
Ha... you posted the exact thing I was going to say... Bolsters are an issue as Child seats almost always have wider bases... I too use a mat for protection from the base.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
I use the Recaro Signo 2 with my 2 month old.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked our Articles section? There is a LATCH kit install article and a toddler seat install article both in our Articles section!
I saw your highly detailed installation article and to be honest I'm not sure my mechanical aptitude is up to the task.

I will most likely bite the bullet and go for the latch system and air bag deactivation switch installed at the dealer. Even though the air bag should switch off automatically due to the low weight, I don't want to take the chance and/or have any issues with law enforcement.

I might see if the Britax seat will fit ...the Recaro could be an option also..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before I got my 911, I used a Britax car seat for my son (2 years old at the time) in the Cayman. It worked perfectly with the seatbelt, and the airbag deactivated automatically when I used it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking to buy an 07 Cayman and trading in my Ford Edge which is a fantastic family ride. That being said, if I make the trade, then I plan to also purchase a 4-5K sedan in addition. We have a MiniVan, but if my wife has to go somewhere in her car without the little ones, then I need to have a 4 door sedan just in case.
It never hurts to have a 3rd car around anyhow.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Before I got my 911, I used a Britax car seat for my son (2 years old at the time) in the Cayman. It worked perfectly with the seatbelt, and the airbag deactivated automatically when I used it.
Must be different Britax seats then or the fact I have sport seats because our Britax seat is too wide for my factory sport seats.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
I read the thread title and initially thought it said, "Child Seat - Launch system needed" ! :hilarious:
Visions of an ejector seat came up! :hilarious:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts