Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any direct experience with running a DE event conducted by Chin Motor Sports?
If so, what was your opinion and satisfaction?
I am particularly interested in Road America.
Thank you for any replies.-Richard

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I have run Chin many times at Sebring which is probably considered their home track. Not Road America but the precepts of the organization are the same. In my view Chin is very professional and I believe safe, I see very few "offs". I have never felt at risk by anything at a Chin DE day. The quality of the instruction is good and you are moved through the various groups as safely as possible. Now having said all that if you are used to, and comfortable with, a PCA DE day Chin is not as tightly run. PCA makes you get a dealer inspection, Chin lets you self inspect. PCA's warmup session is paced at 60mph, Chins seems to be self paced at a higher speed. Chins threshold out of novice seems to be more flexible than PCA. There are many more little details in the differences which may bring discomfort. I prefer Chin, they are more expensive but you get more track time for you money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have done Chin at Mid-Ohio and personally know all of the principles. Great group and VERY professional. Agree that it is well run and organized. Different than many others in that at the end of the day, there is "open track" for all skill levels. An opportunity where novices can drive at the same time with advanced drivers with point by passing for the appropriate skill level, ie the novices point on the long straights, intermediates on the shorter straights and advanced anywhere, you point where comfortable. I drive in the intermediate group and could see how much faster the advanced drivers are even though I felt like I was driving plenty fast.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have run with Dr. Chin at NOLA, TWS and COTA. All have been great- well run events. The key thing for me compared to PCA and some others is more track time with Chin. Basic format is 4 30min sessions for each group plus an open 30min warm up at the start of the day with no passing which is great if learning a track for the first time. And happy hour open track at the end of the day. Have not seen any serious incidents or overtly unsafe acts.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I have run with Dr. Chin at NOLA, TWS and COTA. All have been great- well run events. The key thing for me compared to PCA and some others is more track time with Chin. Basic format is 4 30min sessions for each group plus an open 30min warm up at the start of the day with no passing which is great if learning a track for the first time. And happy hour open track at the end of the day. Have not seen any serious incidents or overtly unsafe acts.
I've instructed with Chin at Rd ATL, Roebling Rd, VIR and Barber. I think a true beginner gets a little more instruction and close observation with PCA. In terms of track time, Chin is the better way to go. Ultimately, the instructor is responsible for the student, regardless of the organization. Chin uses a lot of folks who are PCA instructors. I really respect Chin, because even though they are a for-profit outfit (c/w PCA), I witnessed an incident where the CI sent someone home on a Sunday morning, who was driving dangerously (no instructor).

John

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I should have prefaced my comments as coming from someone that started as a beginner with PCA and progressed to solo/advanced status before doing Chin events. So, no experience with their beginners program but I know they do a classroom session. At both NOLA and COTA I asked for an instructor to hop in and give me some tips as I had no/ limited experience at those tracks. Both were very good and gave me some good insights.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Chin events tend to attract higher level drivers and faster cars than your average PCA event. You need to be comfortable with the faster pace. They run their events very professionally. I enjoy running with them very much!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Weinvited friends of ours. They were true first timers. They did fine and had great instruction. I agree that even the novice group was exceptionally fast. In my novice group, everyone had done at least 20 track days but were in the novice group only to get more familiar with the track. They do allow self tech but two people were discharged as one car was blowing oil and another car wasi'm safe. Went off track three times in the first session with the advanced group. Which event are you doing. I Am Considering Road America if I can get the time off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good reports guys, thanks. I've gotta' find out when Chin has COTA.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Good reports guys, thanks. I've gotta' find out when Chin has COTA.
FYI-- Their first and last COTA event was very oversubscribed as I recall. If you're interested in going there with Chin I suggest you keep an eye on their website so you can register early.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weinvited friends of ours. They were true first timers. They did fine and had great instruction. I agree that even the novice group was exceptionally fast. In my novice group, everyone had done at least 20 track days but were in the novice group only to get more familiar with the track. They do allow self tech but two people were discharged as one car was blowing oil and another car wasi'm safe. Went off track three times in the first session with the advanced group. Which event are you doing. I Am Considering Road America if I can get the time off.
First, thank you for the informative replies.
I will be doing Road America in July with Chin.
I have already sent my DE hstory to Chin and I will not be a novice but I am always open to good instruction.
I have had to challenge all the instructors I have had to allow me to drive the PDK in AUTO with PSM left on.
The Chief instructor for Chicago PCA agrees with me.
The PCA, both the Chicago and Milwaukee events at Road America are different. Chicago is only open to Porsche's and more closely controlled but faster. Chicago takes over Road America for multiple days on Memorial and Labor Day weekends.
I switch my PCA affiliation to Chicago.
Milwaukee PCA is a mix of cars. Porsche's alone could not generate the numbers to pay the costs which I have heard are around $37K per day at RA.
I have also run a number of SCCA events at both the Milwaukee Mile and Road America.
SCCA allows self tech and me to run with the top down. Best instruction from an SCCA series Championship. I like to drive with the top down.
I am a SCCA member.-Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, thank you for the informative replies.
I will be doing Road America in July with Chin.
I have already sent my DE hstory to Chin and I will not be a novice but I am always open to good instruction.
I have had to challenge all the instructors I have had to allow me to drive the PDK in AUTO with PSM left on.
Richard,

As others have said, Chin is absolutely top notch. Mark and Maria and the instructors are great to work with, and will work with you where you are, which is really what you need in a DE environment.

I don't see an issue with the Auto/PSM. They'll go off when you're ready to turn them off. ;-)

Love the Mexico Blue, BTW!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts