Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am configuring an order for a BoxterS w/manual, and to keep it within my price range, with all other options firm, I have to choose between PASM and PES.
Which option would you choose, and why?
Thanks in advance for all opinions.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
That really needs to be factored by your personal circumstance. In my world, my wife would either be a passenger or drive some of the time. She has back problems and occasionally every little bump in the road can hurt. I would choose PASM just because it should make the ride even smoother when in normal mode.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Was that supposed to be PSE?

I know that PSE can be added later on if you save up and want it. I'm not sure if the same is true for PASM. Maybe someone can chime in with some knowledge on that.

Honestly, regardless, I'd take PASM over PSE... but I LOVE PSE. These are two completely dissimilar options. If you want them both and are finding it hard to decide... honestly... save up some more and just get both.

·
Registered
736 Posts
OP, I hope this helps. Since money is the deciding factor, you can A) spend 3500 large (bear with me, I'm using the CDN prices) for an exhaust that doesn't have any performance benefit whatsoever, and that you can retrofit later if you so choose (or go with an aftermarket solution), or B) spend 2000 for a suspension system that has two distinct settings, but it always "on" to help smoothen the ride, and you cannot retrofit.

If I were to look at it that way, I know which one I would pick. But as always, yours is the only decision that matters.

Reactions: pmonkey

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thinking has been similar to yours, Spectre. I look at the price and think, I could go with an aftermarket cat-back system for less money, and added horsepower.

I also think PSE is kind of a fun-factor thing, as well. Push button hot rod sound. Really nice sound, I might add.
I remember my high school/college days when we installed exhaust cut-outs ahead of the mufflers that were opened and closed by a cable that was mounted under the dash. That was a blast! Befuddled a lot of cops, too.

I think my decision is made.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm gonna zig when others zag and say between PASM and PSE, I would go with PSE hands-down. No contest. I'm skeptical that PASM really does much outside of a track (where its stiffer setting is a benefit) and I owned a base 981 with no PASM for 2 years. Ride was great. I'm now in a GTS with PASM standard. It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison bc the GTS has bigger wheels, but I preferred the ride of the case (on 18 inchers). I guess you can try to test drive an S with PASM and also without to see if you can detect any difference.

In contrast to my ambivalence to PASM, I'm a huge fan of PSE. The base exhaust already sounds great but PSE takes it to another level. PSE is expensive but once you hear the way snarls, rasps, and crackles . . . .

·
Banned
548 Posts
For what you get, PSE is a bargain compared to every aftermarket exhaust because any of them with valves is going to be way more than ~$2800 US when you factor in the labor to get it and the switch installed. Hell, FVD and Fabspeed exhausts are $2200-$2400 + shipping brand new and that does not include valves or install. I think Borla makes some cheaper exhausts. If you think you ever might want a valved exhaust, you'd be wise to order PSE with the car.

I just put a non-valved Fabspeed on my car and I don't feel any performance difference, plus it drones at 2200 RPM. I got lucky and bought a very lightly used (~300 miles) exhaust from a fellow P9 member for 1/2 the price of new, so I'm not complaining, just saying the aftermarket route is not perfect, and from what I've seen, most have some drone. As for the "+12 hp/tq" that my exhaust is supposed to add, I'm not saying it didn't happen but I don't feel it, kind of like it's probably hard to feel the difference between a Cayman S and Cayman GTS.

Having said that, I also have PASM and I actually really like the option. The roads are good here so I drive in "Sport Chassis" mode almost all the time and it definitely sharpens up the handling. But it's nice to be able to switch it off when I'm on less than great roads. If I had to pick, I'd take PASM first because the stock exhaust sounds pretty good to me, it's just not very loud.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't like PSE, too noisy. I went with X73, its cheaper than PASM (and better but that's just an opinion).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Honestly....I'm going to give a different opinion.

Skip the PASM and get the cheaper Sport Chassis option and the PSE. Imo and people will disagree with me on this, PASM is another part that will cost you tons of $$$ when something goes wrong down the road. It sounds great on paper, an automatically adjustable dampener based on road conditions. I live in downtown Toronto where the roads are bad, but I am buying a sports car. Imo the Sport Chassis is one of the best bang for the buck and any suspension mod is very expensive to retrofit. Even installing lowering springs on this car is 5-6 hours of labour.

The Borla sounds good, but it makes the Porsche sound like an American car. The PSE has the option of turning on/off for me which is huge. Any aftermarket exhaust with the same feature cost $5000-$6000 with adjustable flap. Plus Borla if you research just like any other aftermarket exhaust, the fitment and quality is nowhere near stock. Some people report one pipe sticks out unevenly, etc. There's also a few threads on the workmanship being just medicore, which is expected with the price of the car you're paying.

Unless you're buying an Armytrix or some expensive exhaust system, I would go PSE. Plus I find it odd to slap a Japanese or American made exhaust on a German car.

Again unpopular opinion here, do as you wish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Honestly....I'm going to give a different opinion.

Skip the PASM and get the cheaper Sport Chassis option and the PSE. Imo and people will disagree with me on this, PASM is another part that will cost you tons of $$$ when something goes wrong down the road. It sounds great on paper, an automatically adjustable dampener based on road conditions. I live in downtown Toronto where the roads are bad, but I am buying a sports car. Imo the Sport Chassis is one of the best bang for the buck and any suspension mod is very expensive to retrofit. Even installing lowering springs on this car is 5-6 hours of labour.
I totally agree with this. Even without cost as an issue, I strongly prefer the feeling of the sport chassis also.

If you can do that and PSE, that's definitely how I would go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
PSE is expensive but once you hear the way snarls, rasps, and crackles . . . .
....you may wish you didn't have an exhaust that makes the car sound like it needs a tuneup.:taunt: Go with PASM.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I would and did skip both. Stock suspension is magical. Not harsh, but extremely sporty. No need for electronics IMO. If hard pressed - i'd get PSE. But aftermarket exhausts are cheaper.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I would and did skip both. Stock suspension is magical. Not harsh, but extremely sporty. No need for electronics IMO.
If you're counting pennies I'd go this route. I've had the "normal" suspension as well as PASM, normal exhaust as well as PSE. I love my current spec, and PASM, but the standard suspension is still a Porsche suspension -- it's great -- and PSE doesn't make you go any faster, it's like playing cards on the spokes of your bicycle.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
If you're counting pennies I'd go this route. I've had the "normal" suspension as well as PASM, normal exhaust as well as PSE. I love my current spec, and PASM, but the standard suspension is still a Porsche suspension -- it's great -- and PSE doesn't make you go any faster, it's like playing cards on the spokes of your bicycle.
Going aftermarket exhaust is not counting pennies - it actually gives you a few HP in some cases. Unlike PSE which is for sound only.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Oops. I didn't mean to quote the "aftermarket exhaust" bit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you're leasing the car, I would be wary of adding an aftermarket exhaust unless you plan to replace the stock exhaust before giving the car back. Plus, I doubt you'd be able to residualize the cost of the aftermarket kit. And most importantly, I'd be very wary of blowing up your warranty (at least for certain types of claims) if you install an aftermarket kit and esp one that gives extra hp.

Btw, I think PSE does give a few extra hp. To my knowledge, Porsche has never explained in detail what they did to the motor in the GTS to get the extra 15 hp over the S. I don't think they did anything. My guess is that SC in Sport Plus together with PSE gives an extra 15 hp, whether in the GTS or as optioned in the S. So for the S owners out their with SC and PSE, congrats: I think you have a GTS motor. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts