Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

At th same price of the GT4, would you buy the GT4 or GT3?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now you Cayman loyalists got your GT4 released that you've been hammering Porsche for for years.

The 981 GT4 is a mid engine in manual only. And the 991 GT3 is PDK only. Both come in low ground clearance. And both with no convertible model.

Assuming both are at the same price of the GT4, would you buy the GT4 or the GT3 and why?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'll have the 475 hp. Thanks!

Now... If they both get the same engine at that same price, I'll have the Cayman.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have the 475 hp. Thanks!

Now... If they both get the same engine at that same price, I'll have the Cayman.
Please check the poll and answer accordingly :(

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Reference to the poll, I'd choose a GT3 in a blink.

Yes the GT4 is gorgeous. And I prefer the manual over the PDK... and yes the sound of the GT4 is intoxicating still. But for the love of God having both next to each other, how could I take the keys of the GT4 instead of the GT3!!!

Now if the GT3 comes exactly as is in terms of looks and power/performance but in mid-engine platform, I might reconsider.

Long live the king

Reactions: Ynot

·
Registered
408 Posts
At the GT4 price? I'd have to think about it.

The GT3 would be faster, the GT4 would likely be more fun. Am I going for lap times, or daily smiles? Tough choice.

At GT3 pricing, though... neither.

It's probably the Mclaren P13.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Apparently I'm the only nutter. I have respect for the 911, and I considered them (including a 997.1 GT3) before I went down the Cayman road. I'll continue to stick by my mid-engine decision, especially now since the Cayman has the same sophisticated suspension setup as a GT3. The Cayman I always wanted, since before the Cayman existed, exists. The only thing I'd want more is a Boxster Spyder version of it, goofy roof and all.

And that's despite being someone who would prefer PDK-S over a manual.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
GT3 of course. At the same price any other choice would just be stupid. If I wanted the GT4 I'd sell the GT3 for profit and then pick up the GT4. I feel like this was an IQ test or something.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If I wanted the GT4 I'd sell the GT3 for profit and then pick up the GT4.
That's not the point of the poll.

I feel like this was an IQ test or something.
You're hilarious... yet, the post above yours prove you wrong. There are mid-engine loyalists who won't budge. Can you believe the chaos Porsche Market Research department go through?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
lol, how can I be wrong in a ridiculous hypothetical thread?

:guffaw:

·
Registered
83 Posts
As we all heard in the GT4 interview, the GT3 is under alot of competition pressure that's why Porsche is pushing its boundaries and putting the best technologies in there to supersede, that's why the GT3 will always be the best, however the real question is how often you will be able to enjoy such rockets (3 or 4) on the streets, and how often you will take them to the track?, it's always nice to win a traffic light drag race, but 90% of the rest of the time you will be suffering from the harsh ride (on both), and you will end up to rarely drive this monster, if you are planning to have a "garage queen" then yes go ahead, but if you want to enjoy this as "almost" as a daily driver, god NO!, get the GTS.

My reference on this is when I click SPORT on my CS, and I feel every damn pothole and imperfection on the street, I immediately loose my appetite for driving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
By the way my heart choose the GT3 in the poll, and my head wrote the post above :D!

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Ha. I posted too fast. You read it too fast. And I deleted it too fast. I'm feeling a theme.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I dont know what are you talking about :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before members here start collecting money to check me in rehab for starting this thread, I believe this post is far enough for new voters not to read before voting.

Here's why I wrote this:

All the fuss for the GT4 not having PDK, ground clearance or convertible roof and all the fuss of the GT3 not being street-comfy, PDK only, and rear engine... all the fuss disappears at a certain price.

In other words, we all would opt for a GT3 despite all the inconveniences if the price was right for us. And no, this vote is not to defend the 911 or GT3 or GT4... This vote is to show we love all Porsches, we just opt for the ones that are wallet-comfys in the end. And this wallet-comfy limits change as our priorities and financial income change.

PS keep an eye on how many will vote neither to prove my point ;)

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I added my own voting option :D.

If you give me the full GT3 capabilities for both the GT4 and GT3 at either price level, I take the GT4. If you give me the full GT4 capabilities (only) for both the GT4 and GT3 at either price level, I would still get the GT4. If you ask me if I would take the GT4 with current spec at GT3 prices: no. I would probably do what 981FTW suggested: Get the GT3, sell it and get the GT4 and a lot of track days and training. If you would ask me if I would take the GT3 at current spec and GT4 at current spec at GT4 prices? Probably. Mainly because it has certain capabilities that would be nice to have (like an engine that revs to 9000 RPM and just sounds awesome).

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Noob
843 Posts
The extra HP does make GT3 more attractive + lot more options can be put in that car from the looks of it.
But what I will miss is the mid engine-ness of the GT4. And can I get the yellow stitching in the GT3 please?

I wonder, if Porsche is so serious about motorsport, and many have said mid-engines perform better keeping other stuff the same, then why are they sticking with the 911 rear-engine line?
Why can't they make a mid-engine 911 if they are so historically tied to that name? Lets call it a 911M

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The extra HP does make GT3 more attractive + lot more options can be put in that car from the looks of it.
But what I will miss is the mid engine-ness of the GT4. And can I get the yellow stitching in the GT3 please?

I wonder, if Porsche is so serious about motorsport, and many have said mid-engines perform better keeping other stuff the same, then why are they sticking with the 911 rear-engine line?
Why can't they make a mid-engine 911 if they are so historically tied to that name? Lets call it a 911M
Because the Carrera is becoming a GT car. It doesn't matter where the engine is.

GT2, GT3 and GT4 are different racing cars for different budgets.

Reactions: curta
1 - 20 of 52 Posts