Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

At th same price of the GT4, would you buy the GT4 or GT3?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Noob
843 Posts
Because the Carrera is becoming a GT car. It doesn't matter where the engine is.

GT2, GT3 and GT4 are different racing cars for different budgets.
Surely they can all be mid-engined with better polar moment of inertias and still be different enough based on those classifications...like HP / torque / engine capacity etc

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
I wonder, if Porsche is so serious about motorsport, and many have said mid-engines perform better keeping other stuff the same, then why are they sticking with the 911 rear-engine line?
Why can't they make a mid-engine 911 if they are so historically tied to that name? Lets call it a 911M
What makes you think they aren't working on a mid-engined car to supersede the 911 in racing? Read this post. In particular, read the part about the FIA regulations and implied move from the 911RSR platform to a FeFi for racing.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What makes you think they aren't working on a mid-engined car to supersede the 911 in racing? Read this post. In particular, read the part about the FIA regulations and implied move from the 911RSR platform to a FeFi for racing.
Still that doesn't mean the 911 will become a mid engine. It just means they'll have the FEFI, GT2, GT3 and GT4 as race cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
Still that doesn't mean the 911 will become a mid engine. It just means they'll have the FEFI, GT2, GT3 and GT4 as race cars.
Maybe I didn't understand what was asked. OK, two things. First, the 911RSR is pretty much acknowledged as at the end for racing. They need a new car and supposedly the FEFI is it. Second, OK, maybe the 911 can continue rear engined but who knows. Once the 991 run is over, they are free to do whatever the want, especially since they will be VAGs designer for the future sports cars. we just do not know. e.g. see 2016 Audi R8 Rendered and Detailed – News – Car and Driver. who knows what the future holds?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I voted GT4. I honestly would pick the GT4 side by side with GT3. The 5 bolt hubs and 6 MT are a big deal for me. Probably sounds bass ackwards but I'd likely keep the GT3 for street and track the GT4. Wife can drive the GT3 and in normal chassis mode is quite comfortable and compliant. PDK S can be a little clunky in low speed traffic but manageable. Another 50hp or so would be nice in the GT4 but not necessary for me. And I still have a little concern in the back of the mind about GT3 motor reliability out of warranty. The 3.8 Carrera S has so far been reliable on track.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I voted GT4. I honestly would pick the GT4 side by side with GT3. The 5 bolt hubs and 6 MT are a big deal for me. Probably sounds bass ackwards but I'd likely keep the GT3 for street and track the GT4. Wife can drive the GT3 and in normal chassis mode is quite comfortable and compliant. PDK S can be a little clunky in low speed traffic but manageable. Another 50hp or so would be nice in the GT4 but not necessary for me. And I still have a little concern in the back of the mind about GT3 motor reliability out of warranty. The 3.8 Carrera S has so far been reliable on track.
You chose the GT4 over the GT3 while you own the GT3 already?!!

This doesn't make sense. I'm sorry, but can you tell me what's wrong with the GT3? And are you in line for a GT4 allocation?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I see this isn't an IQ test but rather a trick question. If the GT3 were the same price as the GT4 then it could only be due to the fact that the GT3 is one of those ones that caught fire or will catch fire shortly after you buy it. Therefore, I'm not going with the high insurance risk and likely to fail GT3 but will stick with the solid GT4 instead. See, simple answer really....

I think the real question you want to ask here is that all else being equal, price, power, performance, etc. if you had a choice between having that package in a mid engine Cayman or a rear engine 911 which would you prefer? I would take the Cayman packaging for the looks and the mid engine balance.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am "certifiable" I guess :hilarious: I do have a deposit on GT4. Nothing really wrong with the GT3 I do think PDKS suits it. Can't see how I could shift a MT without bouncing the limiter every time with the way the motor builds revs toward 9k. But I do not like the centerlocks for track. The GT4 is everything I wanted in a drive-to-track car. I learned to drive on the track in 987s and just feel comfortable with the mid engine layout. The GT3 feels big to me.

I think it's the mid engine feel more than anything else. Maybe more time with the GT3 would change my mind, but that's the way I feel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In other words, we all would opt for a GT3 despite all the inconveniences if the price was right for us.
No, not all would. I prefer mid engine. I like the 911 but I don't prefer a GT like what the 911 has become. As of this post 72.09% of respondents prefer the GT3. It may be more popular but 72.09% is not 100%.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'll take the GT3 if I can sell it and get a GT4 with money left over.
Or sell the GT3 and get a CaymanR and have the engine built to 4.2L.

In other words, we all would opt for a GT3 despite all the inconveniences if the price was right for us...
Wrong. Automatic trans? No thanks. Rear engine? No thanks.

This vote is to show we love all Porsches,
I love all mid-engine Porsches.

Saw a GT3RS on the street a couple of days ago. Perhaps the most glorious sound I've ever heard.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
well - i have seen the GT3 (friend just got his a few weeks ago) in person. sorry - no comparo.

but you could get two GT4's for about the same price....not really a fair one to look at.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I think the real question you want to ask here is that all else being equal, price, power, performance, etc. if you had a choice between having that package in a mid engine Cayman or a rear engine 911 which would you prefer? I would take the Cayman packaging for the looks and the mid engine balance.

That would change the results dramatically, I'd change my vote. I voted GT3 only for the better motor, higher redline, and PDK-S...not for it's 'status' or where the motor is mounted.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I see this isn't an IQ test but rather a trick question. If the GT3 were the same price as the GT4 then it could only be due to the fact that the GT3 is one of those ones that caught fire or will catch fire shortly after you buy it. Therefore, I'm not going with the high insurance risk and likely to fail GT3 but will stick with the solid GT4 instead. See, simple answer really....

but that wasn't the question. As it sits, the GT3 is a very different beast from the GT4. The poll results are surprising. This forum is mainly Cayman/Boxster people, so I thought it would just be votes for the GT4. What the poll tells me is that the GT3 is still the benchmark. The GT4 will be a great car, for sure, but I still think most Cayman owners would rather have the 911. I did when I had a Cayman.

*Disclaimer: I have a GT3 on order.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I know my question isn't what was asked but is it really fair to ask if someone wants something twice as expensive for the same price as something that costs half as much? What's next? Asking if you want the 80" OLED tv or the 42" LCD if both were the same price? I think most people would choose the larger TV with newer technology. I would likewise expect most people to pick the GT3 but given that several have said the GT4 it just goes to show that even the bigger TV isn't always what is wanted. :)

I would agree if you could get the GT3 and turn around and sell it for GT3 money you'd have enough for a GT4 and money left over for a Boxster or Macan or something else...

How many will really make use of the extra HP of the GT3? Very few. What about rear wheel steering or PDK-S? Unless you don't want a manual then neither of those really seem to matter much. Rear engine? Unless you have a need for nostalgia, then again why?

In essence I don't really put much stock in this poll and it's answers other than for entertainment purposes. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm not sure where you are getting this "twice as expensive" line. When I spec a GT4 to a similar spec as my GT3, it's 99k vs 145k. Granted that's a big premium, but you get a fair bit more for your money. As for if they were the exact same car, just mid engined vs rear? That's a tough call. I've had both. I found the Cayman more fun at street speeds, but the 911 feels far more planted and controllable at track speeds. There is no data to suggest that a mid-engine car is faster than a rear or front. Competition in the top series are split pretty well, and have homologation requirements that keep most of the other factors the same.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's a wrinkle:

I would bet heavily than in 30 years the GT4 is worth far more than the 991 GT3. In fact I was told exactly this by someone at Porsche- this is what Porsche expects.

The current GT4 is a final tribute to simple cars. I was told that it will be the last manual only car Porsche ever builds. Huge changes are coming within Porsche- the 918 is a blueprint for the future. The days of simple cars are really at an end, and the GT4 will be the exclamation point at the end of the sentence.

Personally if I got a 991 GT3 I know it would be a "disposable" car, something I'd drive for a while and then sell when the next new thing came out. A car like the RS 4.0, on the other hand, is a keeper.

I'm looking for a keeper. I'd like to buy it and put 500k miles on it, and give it to my grand kids when I pass. The 991 GT3 is not that car for me, but the GT4 might be. I intend (hope) to find out. On this time horizon the purchase price almost doesn't matter, it's a question of feeling, of ethos. And the GT4, sans AC, is an ethos that is timeless. Thus as much as I like 911s, and believe me I do, it's GT4 for me...

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
I was told that it will be the last manual only car Porsche ever builds. Huge changes are coming within Porsche- the 918 is a blueprint for the future. The days of simple cars are really at an end, and the GT4 will be the exclamation point at the end of the sentence.

it's a question of feeling, of ethos. And the GT4, sans AC, is an ethos that is timeless. .
This is about the best argument I have heard for buying this car. That works if your young and keep it 30 years, which is the right thing to do. I believe you are correct.

It doesn't work if you dump it in 2 years when the next new toy comes out and I am going to guess that a great many of the cars used as DD will be dumped when people tire of them. The younger buyer will want the technology, the gee whiz cameras and doohickeys and PDK and turbos because its all they know.

But not by the people like yourself because that makes perfect sense. You are starting to convince me it might be worth something in 20 years.

Very good :)

edit. But when I really think about this, and not from just the sense of "wanting that to happen", I'm not sure I buy into this. I think all the 981/991 cars, last NA cars will, 10 - 20 years from now, recover somewhat from normal depreciation, more than 987/997 cars. But in the end, there is nothing really special here in the sense of numbers.

If you got a plaque that said your car was number 23 of 400 sold, then yes. But if 600 a year come to the US and 1000 worldwide for the next 4 years, not so much. Too many sold. Rareness does count. I get the point that in 2 years they might create PDK. Doesn't matter. Still too many out there to make it really rare.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you got a plaque that said your was number 23 of 400 sold, then yes. But if 600 a year come to the US and 1000 worldwide for the next 4 years, not so much. Too many sold. Rareness does count. I get the point that in 2 years they might create PDK. Doesn't matter. Still too many out there to make it really rare.
They made 1580 1973 Carrera RS's. Those seem to be holding value ok...

They imported 740 BMW 1Ms, and I could sell mine today for what I paid new... Not the reason to get one IMHO, but in the number I expect these to come in I believe it will do well.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts