Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Looks like a fun day. That road that heads east out of Bitterwater looks to be a more adventurous route to take some day.
From what I could see I think that would be a SUV/truck road. I’ve driven out Panoche Rd. East of Paicines to New Idria Rd. and it just gets worse and worse for about 30 miles until there’s a sign that says the road is closed. After a while it’s smoother driving on the shoulder than what left of the road. Even 198 gets pretty rough about 5 miles East of 25.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I had a good day at Thunderhill on Saturday. I only got 3 laps in the first session and 2 laps in the third session before someone wetted the track down.
In the second session I started to get a feel for the track and my best laps were in the 2:13 range. In the forth session I had a friend who is an instructor ride along with me and then I rode along with him in his modded 987.2 Cayman S. That opened my eyes to how much I was leaving on the table. In the 5th session I got down to a 2:08.62. My Point By group wound up getting the bonus session combined with Open. I got stuck behind a couple open drivers who were faster on the straights but slower in the turns. my times weren't as fast but it was fun chasing them down.

I was happy with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 220TW tires. They had good traction and were consistent throughout the sessions. I wasn't very impressed with the Porterfield R4 and R4E pads though. They just don't seem to had the bite I'm looking for. I honestly think my GTI with the front BBK braked harder with the same pads. I think I'll be moving to Ferodo DS1.11 pads eventually.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Chris- What camber are you using? GT3 LCA's to keep the outside shoulder from rolling in the sweepers? Tarett has the Cup Race monoball LCA's which work very well as they also a a solid center thrust puck. I've had no problems after 4 years with these front and rear. No tire shoulder problems as I'm running -2.9 f and -2.5 r. The solid thrust puck keeps the alignment from moving around. I use 4 minutes per side of toe out in front and 10 minutes of toe in in the rear. Using Bridgestones new model RE71RS for the street and track with good success. Plan on flipping the tires when 1/2 used up.
Sports equipment Font Bicycle part Skateboard truck Auto part

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Reactions: CAinCA

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'm running -2.4F/-1.8R camber. Zero toe front and about .05 degree (3 minutes) toe in rear. I have the Tarett arms with the rubber bushings (GT3 spec). My tires looked good. 32/33 PSI hot. 6-10F spread over each tire's face. Wear over the entire face but not over the edge of the treadblocks.

I was really happy with the setup of the car. It never felt out of shape even under heavy braking and kicking down a gear coming out of corners.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
Wet driving may expose more traction problems coming out from the apex. Maybe a Wavetrac LSD would help keeping both tires fully engaged and the RE71RS would prove their worth.

· Registered
2006 Porsche Cayman S
10 Posts
congrats on a nice car. I bought my '06 Cayman S around the same time as you did, back in April 22. I haven't run thunderhill East with this car because frankly I hate the track. I would rather do Sonoma. The last time I was on THE was early last year with the 350Z. but I ran west six times last summer with the Cayman and that is a lot more fun imo. that track is nothing but turns unlike East which is mostly straights. West is more like a mountain road which these cars were made for. Laguna seca is similar to THE.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts