Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having some minor body work done on the car, and the key came back with the chrome trim broken. I figured this would be a warranty repair, but the dealer says no. $500. It seems to me that the key trim shouldn't break, but the service writer says a defect must be proven.

I didn't fight with him about it, but what says the collective wisdom of Planet-9?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Pics or your key is fine... ;)

Edit: $500 is insane but I'm guessing it is for a new key. I haven't searched but someone on eBay can probably help you with new trim.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics or your key is fine...

Edit: $500 is insane but I'm guessing it is for a new key. I haven't searched but someone on eBay can probably help you with new trim.
Yes. It's for a new key. Apparently, the trim is not sold separately. You can get the side panels but not the chrome trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are replacements for the chrome trim in colors. They are listed on ebay and I think that Suncoast now has them on their site; less than $20.00.

williamr
All I find on Suncoast is replacements for the side panels, not the broken chrome in the center. Haven't yet looked on Ebay though.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SKU991KEY&Store_Code=P

May I could get one of the USB drives and pull off the chrome trim. Maybe the seller has a bad drive they'd sell me for the case.

Look at this on eBay
16 GB Porsche Car Key Usb 2.0 flash Drive memory card

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect. That's great, but I'd really like one crafted out of sheet metal. You up for it?

Okay. I can see you're not up for it. I'm ordering the gloss black one.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Yes. It's for a new key. Apparently, the trim is not sold separately. You can get the side panels but not the chrome trim.
Whoa, wait a minute, are you saying that you gave them the key (un damaged) to the car while they were working on it and it came back to you looking like that!?

I am more then confident that my dealer would simply apologise and say: "we will take care of this at no charge..."

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Whoa, wait a minute, are you saying that you gave them the key (un damaged) to the car while they were working on it and it came back to you looking like that!?

I am more then confident that my dealer would simply apologise and say: "we will take care of this at no charge..."

I gave it to the body shop, damaged who the key. I didn't make a big deal of it with the body shop, since I figured the key was under warranty. Then I took the key to a dealer for replacement, who said it was not covered under warranty. Now that I've found that there is a replacement trim for $20, I'm fine. It's the extra key anyway. I don't need to try another dealer nor go after the body shop for $500, nor live with a broken key. Planet-9 solves all problems.

My issues with the body shop went beyond the key, but they tried to make it right by painting the rear bumper at no charge.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I gave it to the body shop, damaged who the key. I didn't make a big deal of it with the body shop, since I figured the key was under warranty. Then I took the key to a dealer for replacement, who said it was not covered under warranty. Now that I've found that there is a replacement trim for $20, I'm fine. It's the extra key anyway. I don't need to try another dealer nor go after the body shop for $500, nor live with a broken key. Planet-9 solves all problems.

My issues with the body shop went beyond the key, but they tried to make it right by painting the rear bumper at no charge.
Ahhhh, glad that you found a resolution that you are happy with! Not that the following is a consolation but I have yet to find a body shop that is or does it perfectly...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Bodyshop obviously dropped the key. That Suncoast part is not factory, so please let us know how you like it. It looks like they're mostly held in place at the middle, therefore the side trim has to come off. Just be patient with the removal; very flimsy tabs. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks. My 981S is a CPO, and for some reason the entire front including the chrome on both keys, though one worse then the other, is very worn. My Boxster has keyless entry, which means it never even gets inserted into the keyhole. Any ideas how that may have happened?

Anyway, I will order the red replacement chrome (matching my seat belts and break calipers) and replace it on the key with the worst wear. Will tell you how I like it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My brother's BGTS I bought for him used also has the chrome on the keys all beat up, and it's keyless ignition as well (and just 6K miles). Crappy quality. My guess is the keys get abused by dealers, especially on used cars. Bought my CGTS new, and keys are perfect, and will remain perfect. Hopefully those replacements are colored plastic, and not just painted, or will peel off just as easily as the stock chrome paint.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It happened to my key on my 2013. I dont know exactly how or when. I just used the key and I lived. ;). Traded it in to get rid of nasty key. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks. My 981S is a CPO, and for some reason the entire front including the chrome on both keys, though one worse then the other, is very worn. My Boxster has keyless entry, which means it never even gets inserted into the keyhole. Any ideas how that may have happened?
No way for us to know. It depends on how one cares for the keys. We don't have Entry & Drive so we have to insert our keys and our chrome isn't worn. However, we don't have our keys on keychains so that's probably part of it. My keys never comes in contact with other keys or other items while in my pocket. My wife keeps her key in her purse where it does contact other items and her chrome is also fine. The paint, however is chipped but I think she has also dropped it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.