Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Good luck with this. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves and need to be held responsible. And if they're not, plan on them putting out more and more crap while worshiping the almighty dollar.:soapbox:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
With just a handful of people signed up for the group, that's a LONG way from a Class Action suit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone been involved with a class action suit that actually benefited anyone other than attorneys? Inquiring minds.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, both of my door panels have a slight warp to them, and I'm out of warranty with no CPO... so I'll be watching this.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Has anyone been involved with a class action suit that actually benefited anyone other than attorneys? Inquiring minds.......
I think the IMS class action suit garnered some people some $$$. Neither of my 987S's were involved, so I have not factual evidence that people got anything of significance. You had to meet some very specific criteria to qualify. IIRC, it paid a partial amt of your IMS replacement cost.

Good luck with this. Porsche should be ashamed of themselves and need to be held responsible. And if they're not, plan on them putting out more and more crap while worshiping the almighty dollar.:soapbox:
Totally agree. But the current solution of replacing the panels with the same flawed design just resets the clock until it happens again. Charging $3K to replace these panels is criminal. They're going to have to redesign the panel if they want to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Limit it to Facebook, you won't get any traction. Facebook is not where Porsche owners hang out, unless you count the company's own parking garage.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I wonder what the incidence of failure is on the panels, and whether there is a pattern. I’ve never seen or heard of a car with a failure in western Canada. There wouldn’t be a case for a class action if it’s an isolated situation. FWIW I have the rocking passenger seat problem in my 987.2 which appears as common as the door panel problem and no one has ever cried class action.

Claiming the door panel issue is related to safety seems as much a reach as the rocking seat could affect structural performance of the frame in a crash. Cars, like many things in our lives, are complex collections of parts. Sometimes they fail in ways that aren’t a result of actions or inactions of the manufacturer or builder. In most countries in the world, calling a lawyer is much further down the list of courses of action than in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I wonder what the incidence of failure is on the panels, and whether there is a pattern. I’ve never seen or heard of a car with a failure in western Canada. There wouldn’t be a case for a class action if it’s an isolated situation. FWIW I have the rocking passenger seat problem in my 987.2 which appears as common as the door panel problem and no one has ever cried class action.

Claiming the door panel issue is related to safety seems as much a reach as the rocking seat could affect structural performance of the frame in a crash. Cars, like many things in our lives, are complex collections of parts. Sometimes they fail in ways that aren’t a result of actions or inactions of the manufacturer or builder. In most countries in the world, calling a lawyer is much further down the list of courses of action than in the U.S.
The problem is VERY widespread, and may consist of multiple material defects including (more or less indisputably) the use of a faulty adhesive.

Do some reading on the various forums, it'll infuriate and unnerve you. What Porsche has done here needs to hurt them, badly. Instead it's hurting their customers.

·
Registered
151 Posts

You live in a colder climate, reports seem heavily dependent on region. The closer you live to the equator, the more widespread and the worse the problem is.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The problem is VERY widespread, and may consist of multiple material defects including (more or less indisputably) the use of a faulty adhesive.

Do some reading on the various forums, it'll infuriate and unnerve you. What Porsche has done here needs to hurt them, badly. Instead it's hurting their customers.
I see scattered reports here and on other forums, just like I hear complaints about headlight delamination, seat bolster wear, brake noise/dust and all the other things the squeaky wheels on forums like to complain about. Where I live it’s non-issue, but then I guess I need to never sleep all through the winter for fear of starting my Porsche and causing bore scoring, immediately reducing the value of my vehicle by 20 percent.

I don’t get infuriated or unnerved by much, but certainly not a door panel delaminating. Heck, when Triumph shipped my new Speedmaster this spring with an inner spacer on the rear wheel missing, causing the wheel to go into a serious wobble that cost almost 2 grand to fix...I stayed chill, they came and picked up the bike and repaired it. BTW, the bike had a total of 13 km on it when this happened.

I would encourage folks with door panel delamination to work with others who have the problem and figure out a fix. Blaming Porsche and expecting out of warranty action seems like a waste of energy. From the VANOS issues in my E46 M3 to the convertible top problems in both my S2000s, to the crazy bolster wear on the GT2 seats in my 911 GTS, pretty much every sports car I’ve ever owned has something that is infuriating and usually expensive to fix out of warranty, and in many cases will repeatedly fail. It’s the nature of the beast, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going with Pedro Bonilla in Florida. He provides a video on how to remove your panels, then you ship to him and he fixes them permanently with aluminum strips and epoxy for $100-$250 each depending on severity of warpage. Note that you can't easily drive the car without the door panels unless you detach the power window mechanism (at least the one on the driver side)--a bit of a separate job. That's because, if you think about it, the only way to open the doors from the inside without the door panels is through the open window--but then you need to be able to close the window, which you can't do if the whole door panel and window-switch mechanism is in the mail to Florida. I'll do mine this winter when I don't drive the car up here in Maine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm going with Pedro Bonilla in Florida. He provides a video on how to remove your panels, then you ship to him and he fixes them permanently with aluminum strips and epoxy for $100-$250 each depending on severity of warpage. Note that you can't easily drive the car without the door panels unless you detach the power window mechanism (at least the one on the driver side)--a bit of a separate job. That's because, if you think about it, the only way to open the doors from the inside without the door panels is through the open window--but then you need to be able to close the window, which you can't do if the whole door panel and window-switch mechanism is in the mail to Florida. I'll do mine this winter when I don't drive the car up here in Maine.
I've had the door panels off. Not sure why it'd be hard to pull on the cable with your hand to open the door.

Regarding Pedro's fix. I'm a bit skeptical on "aluminum strips and epoxy". Have any of his customers blown an airbag afterwards? Do you want aluminum strips flying out of your door and being projected into your head? That sounds sketch as all hell.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts