Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be receiving my new Cayman in a few weeks. I've always used the whole suite of Swissvax products, and from what I've read here, and the feedback I got to one of my questions, I intend to do so.

On a brand new car, I'll start with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid, and then apply the appropriate wax -- Swissvax Zuffenhausen in this case. Do I need to clay the car first, though? Isn't that the purpose of the Cleaner Fluid?

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Yes, you should not only claybar the car, but first wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip off any wax or sealant that may already be on the car.

Cleaner fluid will not remove substances such as rail dust, that may actually be embedded in the clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Concur with Interpol,....clay it first!

Many people think claying is some "drastic" thing to perform. The clay has a consistancy of bubble gum. It mainly "unsticks" bad items from the paint.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I clayed mine just to see what it was about despite what I thought was paint perfection to start with. I was wrong, and whats more it was very easy to get a little closer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your comments. what would be a good, soft and mild clay + lubricating combo for a brand new car?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Any commercial auto claybar should work fine. I see Mother's and Meguiar's claybars at Pep Boys. Zaino and Griot's also sell claybars.

You don't need anything special for lubricating fluid. Just a spray bottle full of water mixed with a small amount of car wash soap. The goal of lubrication is to allow the clay to glide smoothly across the paint finish. You will not need to press hard.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
rrpalma

Heads up if you have never used clay before. If it falls on the ground toss it. You know the clay is working if it starts to turn black. you don't need to press hard just let it glide. When the surface feels slippery and not grainy you are good. When clay turns black mead it to get a clean surface on the clay. As interpol said mix car wash and water about a one cap of car wash and an once of water in a spray bottle will do. Try not to clay a dry surface and do a small area at a time.

Good luck,

dave-t

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
My Cayman traveled from Finland on a boat to Sydney, then a short trip on a truck to my dealer. I didn't feel it needed a clay as it traveled with plastic on the hood & roof. I guess it depends how the car travels.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
My Cayman traveled from Finland on a boat to Sydney, then a short trip on a truck to my dealer. I didn't feel it needed a clay as it traveled with plastic on the hood & roof. I guess it depends how the car travels.
Not really. It's always a good idea to claybar a brand new car before first waxing/sealing it. Even if you can't feel anything on the paint, it will have picked up contaminants, guaranteed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Claying is essential no matter how the vehicle travels to your dealer. If it is coming from overseas, or from another dealer, you should purchase a professional grade mild clay bar with some lubricant designed FOR claying. Washing alone will not remove environmental contaminants that you eyes can't see and your hands can't feel. One good check is the sandwich baggie trick. Grab a baggie from your kitchen, place your hand inside the bag, rub gently over the surface. I assure you, the smallest contaminant will feel like a boulder, and you will probably be shocked at how much there is. Beginning a wax or paint correction job with a clean 'canvas' is essential for the final results. Besides, why would you want to seal the contaminants against your clear coat for the next few months? Damaging to say the least.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just claybared my 2 week old CS and there was not a lot of contaminants that came off the paint but I would recommend it anyways to ensure you have a good clean clear coat to start off with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So far, I've been reading that claying is the first step in detailing a car. After that, waxing and then sealing. Can someone recommend a good wax and sealer combo that is available at pepboys or autozone?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
So far, I've been reading that claying is the first step in detailing a car. After that, waxing and then sealing. Can someone recommend a good wax and sealer combo that is available at pepboys or autozone?
Hate to say this, but you need to do a search.

There are plenty of threads in the Care & Detailing forum addressing all different brands, just take a look at the thread index and read whatever interests you.

There's even a large discussion forum (autopia.org) dedicated to nothing but discussion about auto detailing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts