1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have any of you cleaned or washed the engine / engine bay
of your Boxster / Cayman ?
Anything special that we should think about while doing that ?
Electric connections and water is not the best combination.

Best Regards !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damp chamois.
Damp "Absorbers"
Damp cheap sponges that you never care to see, or ever use again.
And damp paper towels.
As you can imagine, damp is the key word.
If there is persistent grime from a neglected engine bay, try spraying on a little P21S and or WD40 then gently rinse with H2O from a spray bottle.
It's not the engine and components can't get a little wet, it's that they can become water stained and the original cad plating and decals and crayon build marks can come off.
The small sponges and chamois can be folded and creased into every nook and cranny.
Foam paint brushes also work great.
Try using compressed air to drive any moisture out for the final go around.
Go easy on the final dressing and you'll have a great looking engine bay.
Keep it clean!

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
For engines in general, not just Porsche ones, I like a steam cleaner. Numerous ones are available for a few hundred dollars. You don't use detergent that way, the steam melts most oils and greases, and there's very little moisture involved. I stay away stickers of any sort, and I don't aim the steam directly at electrical connectors. (Though to be honest, under hood connectors have to be relatively steam-proof for normal operation in the rain.)

For getting everything really clean after the steam is done, I use high-loft microfiber and a mist of quick detailer. Strong chemicals really aren't a good idea, and degreasers may also remove the anti-corrosion coating from the engine.

If you use compressed air, do yourself a favor and wear goggles.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
a-ha! i plan on taking on the same project to prep my '04 for the Zone 1 Concours in May. it looked pretty girmy in there. :eek:

no access to a steam cleaner, so i'll just dive in and gets my hands dirty. there goes the manicure, even with gloves on. oh well. :banana:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just remember ...
Using any kind of pressure system drives the grime somewhere.
And if your using a steam cleaner or pressure washer, (both really bad ideas IMO) more than likely, that's going to be flying right back at you.
Or worse, the interior of your car.
Especially if it's a Cayman.
Picture trying to move a wand around the cramped mid quarters of a Boxster or Cayman engine bay while bent over the back fenders!
Not pretty.
Lastly, start and warm the engine before buttoning it all back up.
Wet belts and pulleys will sling alot of the dirt and debris back onto the engine cover and around the engine bay.
And you won't find it until the judges do at the event.
Good Luck!
Hope to see you in St. Charles at Parade.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
And if your using a steam cleaner or pressure washer, (both really bad ideas IMO) more than likely, that's going to be flying right back at you.
Or worse, the interior of your car.
Especially if it's a Cayman.
Picture trying to move a wand around the cramped mid quarters of a Boxster or Cayman engine bay while bent over the back fenders!
Not pretty.
You've clearly never used a steam cleaner, because none of what you've described happens, and I use mine on the Cayman. There's not much in the way of steam pressure involved. As for leaning over the fenders of a Cayman, I cover them with large bath towels anytime I'm working in the hatch, like for changing an air filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts