Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear of any Clear Bra Installation Horror Stories? I'm thinking of having one installed as soon as I take delivery (which should be any day now...depending on how much damage they have to fix from shipping /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/omg_smile.gif) but I was wondering if anyone heard of the installer, when trimming the material, taking their razor and going through the material and into the paint? I suppose this would depend greatly on the skill and caution of the installer but just wanted to ask ya'll. Thanks for your help.

'First Porsche' Man

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
Yes I have seen poor installs, not on my car but on other cars done by other installers. That's why I always use Alan, I know his work is top notch. Check with him and if he can't do it he might have a recommendation of somoene in your area. See sponsors page and click on Invincaman banner to get to his site.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken.

I gave Alan a call. He's a really nice guy and was very helpful. If I lived anywhere near Florida I'd go over to Alan's shop in a heartbeat. He gave me the name & number of a place in LA.

BTW...just got back from the dealer...my car just arrived at the dealership this morning. Won't be long now. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif

'First Porsche' Man

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks Ken.

I gave Alan a call. He's a really nice guy and was very helpful. If I lived anywhere near Florida I'd go over to Alan's shop in a heartbeat. He gave me the name & number of a place in LA.

BTW...just got back from the dealer...my car just arrived at the dealership this morning. Won't be long now. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif

'First Porsche' Man

Who did he recommend and where? I'm also in the LA area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The installer I was referred to is to remove the Xenon so there is little razor work, especially since they were precut. I will have my Inifinite FX be first and if the work is good, my CS will follow. Would be great if the Bay Area can get a install party with Alan.

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
LOWFAT, If they remove the Xenon's and fold the clear bra under is a good thing. This will protect the clear bra's edge from being exposed.

/UserFiles/12-5-05 483.jpg

Edited by - F1 on 07/12/2006 07:56:04 AM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />
<blockquote id="quote">

quote:Who did he recommend and where? I'm also in the LA area.

vthee ,Alan recommended:

Star Shield Armor in Irwindale -- ask for Monique & say that Alan referred you.

http://www.starshieldarmor.com/home/home.php

Today is the day!! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gifP/U my Cayman S this afternoon!!!

'First Porsche' Man

</blockquote></blockquote>Edited by - Cayman_S on 07/12/2006 08:28:02 AM

Edited by - Cayman_S on 07/12/2006 08:29:38 AM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just completed my FX with the Ventura product this past weekend with great results. Will probably schedule my CS this month. The installer is very knowledgable, professional and detail orientated. Let me know if you are in the Bay Area, I like to compare the outcome of the different manufacturers of these clear masks. But more importantly, the front end is protected.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, i'm fairly new to the board and to the p car. I just got mine installed today from the dealer. it has little bubbles in it now but they said it will be gone in a couple weeks. I'll try posting some pics tomorrow.

-seung

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up having my Clear Bra installed by the dealer prior to taking delivery. Turns out they had a local shop do the work. Over all they did nice work but there were areas that had not been protected (see picture below). I called Invincaman - Alan Seligman - 407-927-1900 (http://www.invincaman.com/contactus.htm) to inquire if this was basically the industry standard to leave these areas unprotected. Alan is a great guy and was very nice. He explained the following to me & asked that I pass the info along to the Cayman Club. The lip shown in Red should be protected up to a 1/8” border. The areas in Yellow are considered below the bumper and its acceptable for these areas to be unprotected as shown. The areas in Blue, with the kits that Alan sells, are protected. Alan sells the Star Shield Kits. He said the Star Shield Kits are a better designed kit, and have wheel-well to wheel-well coverage. Alan wanted ya’ll to know that he’ll give the Cayman Club a good deal on his kits. And, as mentioned before, Alan will come out to do installations if there are at least 4 installs.

'First Porsche' Man

/UserFiles/Clear Bra Install - Area's Missed.jpg

Edited by - Cayman_S on 07/26/2006 4:40:57 PM

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cayman S,

Having the blue area coveredis verynice. I have to go back to the dealer to have that done next week (got a chip on the silver lip yesterday and I am getting it touched up by dent wiz before having that added as protection). I am (a) annoyed it wasn't done on the 1st install (b) curious as to why Porsche would havepainted that in anything but black as it will take road debris hits fairly easily.

The dealer is also having them redo my bra because it has creasing below and a little inside of the headlights. Apparently, 3M had a bad batch of film and at least 4 cars at my dealership are getting them redone.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Mark

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have never heard of a bad batch of 3M causing creases. Almost all problems would be caused by improper handling of the film & poor installation. If there were defects in the film, then they would be noticeable prior, & during installation.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
F1; Like the color in the above pic. I would like to ask, were you there when the front grills & light spears were removed??? If so, could you tell me how they came off? I would like to get mine off, but don't want to ruin anything in the process....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts