Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their clear bra getting stained?
I got a little bird doo doo on my clear bra and I cleaned it up as soon as I noticed it but it was in a spot that wasn't very noticable and I think it sat there for a day.
Now there's a little discoloration in the spot and no matter how hard I rub, it's not going away.
It stained it yellow.
Is this usual? Other spots where I don't have the clear bra on look fine.
I'm thinking waxing the car would help, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet.
I got the clear bra put on my the dealer, I'm not sure what brand it is.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I had a clear bra on one of my previous cars and on the first day I hit a big bug that left a yellow stain that I could not get out. I calle dthe clear bra installer and he said it would fade over time and it did. Hopefully yours will too.

Edited by - MadEric on 06/11/2006 08:43:50 AM

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did a 3,000 mile road trip in my S2000 last summer, and I didn't have an opportunity to wash my car during that trip. Unfortunately when I got back home and did finally wash it, I had a lot of yellow stains in the clear bra. But it's a year later now, and most of the staining has faded away.

At least those of us with the clear bra wont have rock chips /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/teeth_smile.gif

I'll definitely be looking for a better installer for the Cayman though, the actual install quality of the clear bra on my S2000 is pretty poor.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Leave it out in the sun. The UV will help bleach out the stain, but it will take some time. The less sun exposure - the longer it'll take. Other than abrasives which I'd be hestant to use, I don't know of any product that'll remove the staining.

FYI from Autopia

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, it helps clear my mind.
I'll just have to be more diligent about getting the bugs off. I'm going through those speedshine wipes like crazy lately.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey Aaron,

I've been meaning to call you to check out your clearbra but my schedule has been incredibly inflexible.

I'm interested in hearing if the stain gets better. Meanwhile, I'll just cringe everytime I drive behind a truck.

Vic

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Partially off subject, but does anyone know if the clear bra reduces laser reflection?

Put it this way, the Coppers aim for the license plate which is highly reflective, Esp to laser light. Try it at night with a laser pointer. You get arather impressive bright back scatter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

Partially off subject, but does anyone know if the clear bra reduces laser reflection?

<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

Put it this way, the Coppers aim for the license plate which is highly reflective, Esp to laser light. Try it at night with a laser pointer. You get arather impressive bright back scatter.
Fortunately, in Georgia we don't have to have a front plate. The next favorite target for laser is the headlights which can be dealt with by special coatings. But the body itself is still a source for detection, and my Arctic Silver is worse in that regard due to metalic nature of paint and light color. The best color for laser avoidance is nonmetalic black. It has been advocated that a black bra be used, but I don't like the look. I was just wondering if a clear bra might make a difference. I didn't find any info on Google. Perhaps someone might be willing to test it with a laser pointer, comparing clear bra covered vs noncovered laser reflection?</blockquote>

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
For those who autocross, another kind of bra problem results from scuffing the cones. I don't see how you could polish these out of the bra, I've got a pretty visible one on my right-front. Of course, it's done it's job and protected the paint, but I guess I'll have to replace it at some point, or at least that section.

No doubt the real solution to this problem is better driving!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts