Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 GT Silver CS is now 5 month old and is showing 5,200 km on the odometer (approx 3,200 mi.). I recently noticed that the front bumper and the lower part of the rear bumper (which is exposed to anything coming out of the rear wheels) have some very little stone chips on them. They are not really visible and you really need to have your nose on them to see them. But I fear that over time, the issue will become more and more important... and visible. And I guess the fact that I also track the car from time to time is not helping (nor are the highways here with all those very large SUVs kicking out gravels, sand, etc. out of their back wheels)...

So I took the decision today to have a clear bra (Xpel Ultimate) installed on the car. It's definitely not cheap (especially because I am going for a full body wrap), but I think it's worth it. The installer told me that at this stage, there is no need to get the front bumper repainted as the chips are not visible. Apparently, the clear bra will even help to attenuate their impact (a little bit though).

Here, the installation takes 5 working days. That's because they have to do all the cuttings by themselve; I understand that in the US (may be in Canada as well), all the different parts of the bra come pre-cut so they perfectly match the car they are dedicated to. But this is not the case in this part of the world.

I will drop my car on Thursday so they can do the cleaning and polishing before installing the clear bra over the next week.

I will post a few pictures during and after the installation.

Premium Member
Yes, I was waffling back and forth on the decision to install Xpel Ultimate on my "soon to be delivered" 2015 Cayman (Racing Yellow).

I had 3M Clear Bra on the front of my 2007 Lexus IS250 for the past 8 years and it was looking a little weathered, so I pulled it off and the paint underneath looked like new. I buffed out the rest of the car and the vehicle looks really great for being 8 years old with 151,000 miles!

2007 Lexus IS250 16JAN15  (19C).jpg

This made the decision for me, so I am having the entire front (Bumper, Hood, Fenders, Headlights, Front of Side view Mirrors) wrapped with Xpel Ultimate, prior to taking delivery from the dealer. (Cost for reference is $1800 USD.). I feel it will be worth the investment.

I was also thinking of the Rocker Panels, as I can have this done for an additional $79 USD with the installers "Winter Special", yet am unsure due to the extra stone chip primer that is applied under the paint at the factory.
:confused:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was waffling back and forth on the decision to install Xpel Ultimate on my "soon to be delivered" 2015 Cayman (Racing Yellow).

I had 3M Clear Bra on the front of my 2007 Lexus IS250 for the past 8 years and it was looking a little weathered, so I pulled it off and the paint underneath looked like new. I buffed out the rest of the car and the vehicle looks really great for being 8 years old with 151,000 miles!

View attachment 55859

This made the decision for me, so I am having the entire front (Bumper, Hood, Fenders, Headlights, Front of Side view Mirrors) wrapped with Xpel Ultimate, prior to taking delivery from the dealer. (Cost for reference is $1800 USD.). I feel it will be worth the investment.

I was also thinking of the Rocker Panels, as I can have this done for an additional $79 USD with the installers "Winter Special", yet am unsure due to the extra stone chip primer that is applied under the paint at the factory.

It's really impressive. The paint of your Lexus looks immaculate... Another very good convincing argument for me!

I should have followed your path: wrapping the car or at least the most exsposed parts of it right after taking delivery is definitely what needs to be done. Anyway, I will now be ready for my next car��

BTW: great build! Hope you don't have to wait too long now...

Registered
Just a query. How does the wrap look after a year. Won't those stone chips be visible on the film? Does the film not fade and dull.
Just like cellphone covers and films I often think that these protective measures benefit the next owner of the car.

Premium Member
Just a query. How does the wrap look after a year. Won't those stone chips be visible on the film? Does the film not fade and dull.
Just like cellphone covers and films I often think that these protective measures benefit the next owner of the car.
My 3M Clear Bra looked great for the first 6 to 7 years, then it started to show the many scratches and stone hits that had damaged the film. It never yellowed, yet it did lose the "shine" as it was full of 6 to 7 years of being "sand blasted" during highway driving. The new Xpel Ultimate film is advertised to be "Self Healing" as minor scratches will be removed by a heat gun (hair dryer). So I expect it to stay looking nice for a longer time than the 3M film.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, or will trade it in after a few years, the film is a benefit.
  • Keep it a long time and the car will look like new when its 8+ years old! You can remove & replace the film at any time.
  • Trade in after a few years and you will get a higher value as the paint will be pristine - no chips or scratches in the front Bumper/Hood that are so common.
Either way I feel covering the front facing surfaces is a good investment for any higher priced vehicle. :cheers:

Registered
You won't regret it. And as expensive as it is, it's cheaper than repainting. Wrapping edges or not is perhaps the biggest question. The advantage is when waxing the car, you don't get wax buildup caught along the edges. (There is a visual advantage but I think it's trivial.) The disadvantage with wrapping is that unless it's done just right, it'll be the first thing to go wrong (with wrapped edges essentially beginning to unwrap). Not everyone has that problem. Here in Portland the best deal (cost, experience, distance from where we live, etc.) was a guy who refused to wrap because he'd had a few problems with cars eventually coming back at him. So, I wound up without the wrapping and it's no big deal to me. The chance of getting a ding in the perhaps 3 32nds of an inch that's exposed is exceedingly small. So far (6 months) so good.

Registered
There is zero detectable weathering and zero chips visible in the Expel coated parts of my 2014 Racing Yellow Cayman S after 18 Mos and 2700 miles. It all looks perfect. The 1st owner had it put on all the forward surfaces as well as on door edges that might bump something when opened too far,, and it appears to also have been installed around the frontal parts of the side air scoops. Were these rear side areas of my CS done by the factory or the Expel aftermarket installer?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my CS is being currently wrapped with Xpel Ultimate. I expect to get the car back in a few days. The detailer sent me some pictures he took of the car just after cleaning and waxing, and after removal of door handles, Porsche emblem, side mirrors. I will pop up tomorrow to see how it goes.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installation going on...

. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done! Clear bra (full wrap) has now been installed on my CS (Xpel Ultimate). Sorry for the crappy photos. They have been taken by my installer who just sent them to me by email. Being currently on overseas business trip, I will only be able to see the result from my eyes end of this week when I return home. It seems the installer did a great job, but I will only be able to confirm when I see the car!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up my car this afternoon. I am overjoyed. The detailer did a fantastic job. The car looks even shinier than before. The wrap is hardly noticeable. Will see how it goes tomorrow evening when I track the car @ the YAS Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.

Registered
10,000+ miles on Xpel covered front clip on 2014 Cayman S and it has worked great!
I recommend doing the rockers while you are at it.

Vendor
Picked up my car this afternoon. I am overjoyed. The detailer did a fantastic job. The car looks even shinier than before. The wrap is hardly noticeable. Will see how it goes tomorrow evening when I track the car @ the YAS Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.
Yes it looks like they did a fantastic job. Disassembling all the trim/small parts is the right way to do the wrap! I'm afraid to ask how much such a thorough job cost.

981 Paint is much thinner / weaker than most cars paints so film protection (at least to the front part) is a must.

Reactions: 293866

Registered
The detailer sent me some pictures he took of the car just after cleaning and waxing, and after removal of door handles, Porsche emblem, side mirrors.
Absolutely should NOT wax the car before applying the film.

- Patrick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely should NOT wax the car before applying the film.

- Patrick
My mistake. No waxing at all. Only a deep cleaning. The result is amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it looks like they did a fantastic job. Disassembling all the trim/small parts is the right way to do the wrap! I'm afraid to ask how much such a thorough job cost.

981 Paint is much thinner / weaker than most cars paints so film protection (at least to the front part) is a must.
It was pretty expensive. I paid approx, $3,500. But worth it IMO. For the reason you mentioned. I share your point of view: the paint on 981 Cayman and Boxters look very thin, hence fragile.

FYI, it took 7 full days to my installer to do the job, including the washing. He also left the car outdoor during 2 days in aggregate to ensure that the film was put correctly, especially in the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

View attachment 55859

DO IT...... easy decision = also do the rear panel right behind the rear wheels. They have a rectangular piece that fits there, you do not have to have the full rear bumper done to protect the paint from your massive wheel spins... Ha HA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts