Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
Faux Carbon Fiber Engine Cover.JPG Engine 3.JPG Engine 4.PNG

Strut King is another Planet-9 Vendor, which is the one I have.

Love it.

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
I had the rubber surround wrapped with Faux Carbon fiber vinyl. I stereo installer charged me $ 200.00 for that.

I like it better than the carpet, since my interior is Cocoa leather. The carpet did not match my interior carpet.

I have posted on how to paint the engine without removing anything. You will have to do a search on this forum.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
Cost for painting engine less than $ 30.00, since I did it myself. It took 4 days to complete.

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
Lol! When i get gas people think I have a Ferrari,

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Great job lowrider. Definitely interested on how you painted without taking things apart. If anybody finds the tutorial, please post it here as I'm sure others are interested.

As for Strut King or HIP, I've had both and can say each have their pros and cons. I HIP quality is top notch. Looks great right out of the box and very simple to install. I did create a little more interior noise. Almost like riding a motorcycle with helmet and ear plugs. Strut King is somewhat the opposite. It was significantly more quiet than HIP. The only thing I didn't like was the carpeting. In the end it depends what you are looking for in an engine cover.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great job lowrider. Definitely interested on how you painted without taking things apart. If anybody finds the tutorial, please post it here as I'm sure others are interested.

As for Strut King or HIP, I've had both and can say each have their pros and cons. I HIP quality is top notch. Looks great right out of the box and very simple to install. I did create a little more interior noise. Almost like riding a motorcycle with helmet and ear plugs. Strut King is somewhat the opposite. It was significantly more quiet than HIP. The only thing I didn't like was the carpeting. In the end it depends what you are looking for in an engine cover.

Good luck!
-Moto
i found low riders post (I think). I like that he did this without removing any parts

definitely going to try this (post #30)

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/81300-newly-painted-inlet-manifold-covers-2.html

·
PCA Member
191 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation lowrider.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/95234-recommendations-painting-intake-manifold.html

I also, posted this " Recommendations for painting intake manifold "

Bob Dively's liquid mask was purchased on-line! Do not use any substitute.

Nice find Slim. I guess I've got a project for this spring. Now if I can only get rid of the snow.

i found low riders post (I think). I like that he did this without removing any parts

definitely going to try this (post #30)

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/81300-newly-painted-inlet-manifold-covers-2.html

Thanks!
-Moto

·
Registered
50 Posts
Te HIP one looks better in my opinion. Im just worried about how much louder it will be. I drove around for a few days with the padding over the stock engine cover removed and it was too loud. Is the HIP cover that loud or quieter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Strut King cover as well and like it as well. I was looking at the Hip one too but did not like it exposing the outer frame of the engine compartment (looks little unfinished IMO).

lowrider - I like those silver hoses you added. Are they sleeves or replacements and was it easy to install?

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
They are plastic split loom, which come in different diameters. I purchased 3 different diameters. I believe I also wrote that as well.

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
They were easy to install when using a plastic tool they recommended. The whole process took an hour.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They were easy to install when using a plastic tool they recommended. The whole process took an hour.

Thanks for the information. I bought a couple of the 3/4" split loom to go over the shifter cable housing. It did not cover the housing hose completely but you can't see the 1/4" gap on the bottom. I just made sure it was not pinching the hose.

DSCN5711.JPG DSCN5713.JPG

·
PCA Member
191 Posts
Very Nice!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts