Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took delivery of a 2010 CS yesterday, and first of all - amazing car :banana: !!!

Unfortunately though, the car has arrived without the climate control which I had specified and is on my order paperwork :eek:. The dealer has admitted fault (human error when entering options into the computer order system) and offered to order a new car, v. apologetic etc so I'm not upset, it's just one of those things.

However, the car is of course otherwise great and so I'm loath to hand it back. I have searched the forums about retro-fitting the auto cc, and it seems it has come up a few times but not for a while.

Since I have the Gen II CS, I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is now possible to retro-fit the system? Ideally I'd rather have the dealer do this to my current car than wait another 3-4 months for a brand new one.

Thanks in advance,

Aljrob

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I would suspect the Gen2 cars are just like the Gen1 cars that retrofitting it would require a new wiring harness which makes it cost prohibitive, if you must have auto climate control I think you'll either have to order another car or find one that some other dealer has on their lot (or coming in already) that has the options you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suspect the Gen2 cars are just like the Gen1 cars that retrofitting it would require a new wiring harness which makes it cost prohibitive,
The dealer called me back today to apologise (again!) and inform me exactly this - that it was possible but cost-prohibitive - circa £4k in the UK!! :(

if you must have auto climate control I think you'll either have to order another car or find one that some other dealer has on their lot (or coming in already) that has the options you want.
That's about the size of it.

I am annoyed that this happened on something so expensive. However, it was an honest mistake and I haven't been charged for the climate control that I ordered. The car's just so nice in all other respects that I couldn't bear another 3 month wait, so think I'll just let it go.

Looking at this a different way though, why on EARTH do Porsche make it so difficult to swap what is after all a relatively simple pair of systems - as an engineer by training I'd have thought the cost to Porsche of making two different wiring looms for the air-con options would be too great and they'd have used the same loom for both, plugging in the sensors and control unit etc if optioned, or leaving wires disconnected if not...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Personally I have found automatic climate control kind of annoying. It seems to come on at odd times and out of synch with real temperatures, I hate having the fan come blasting on unexpectedly during spirited driving. I know some people like it but I left it off my 2010 order...just a thought...If it is really important to you, ask your dealer to do a search for other cars on order or in stock with other dealers that might have your spec for which they could trade.
Worth a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You ordered it correctly and dealer/Porsche made the error....isn't it their problem to make the car as you ordered it....or perhaps the dealer/Porsche could expedite production of the corrected car?
You're quite right, and to be fair the dealer immediately offered to do this - all they're saying is that £4k is too much to spend replacing parts that'll go into the bin - they propose basically to buy the car back off me at the invoice price, and recover as much of the loss as they can by re-selling the car, then ordering me a new car.

The problem is that I don't want to have to wait another 2-3 months for a car when the last 3 months of waiting has driven me nuts already!!

Also, the salesman has been great about this and I really don't want to potentially put his job at risk in the current climate by realising a loss unless I'm damn sure that not having the climate con is going to drive me nuts.

On balance I'm not sure it's enough of an issue (I suppose it's probably one of the options that matters least if its missing, and your second post above seems to back my thoughts on this up!) to warrant taking this course of action.

But still annoying!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.