Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]This is my first post here, I have taken a look and can’t quite fill in the blanks.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 Cayman GTS. While sales people try to be helpful, I have found it rare to find one with all the answers.

This will be my second Porsche, I regret selling my 06 993 whenever I think about it!

I test drove a Cayman S last week and loved the car, it has such great balance.

Here is my build;

Individual equipment

P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System
P9I Premium Plus Package GTS with Adaptive sports seats Plus, electrical (18-way)
0Q White (or maybe Silver)
GQ Black leather interior incl. Alcantara Package GTS Carmine Red
498 Deletion of model designation
638 ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
712 Deletion of model designation "GTS" on side doors
748 Electrically folding exterior mirrors
220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) incl. mechanically locking rear differential
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
X73 Sports chassis, 20 mm lower Exclusive
423 20-inch Carrera S wheel
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (satinmat) Exclusive
027 Instrument dials in Carmine Red
088 GTS Communication package
509 Fire extinguisher
583 Smoking package
P07 Adaptive sports seats Plus, electrical (18-way) with memory package
S9Y Factory collection Leipzig incl. dynamic driving instruction
TDN European Navigation on PCM

I am pretty okay on the mechanical options, I am pretty sold on the locking diff, PASM and PDK. The questions I have can better be answered by someone who has lived with the car for a while.

The things I need help on are the fluffy options, I just can’t figure out if they are worthwhile spending an hour with the car. While I crack up at the $1,270 air vent slats in leather, and to each their own, I want to strike a balance between wishing I should have spec'd something I missed, and having a $200k Cayman.

1 - Bose & Nav

Is it worth the dough? I have a 2013 VW Touareg and a 2011 1 Series M Coupe (which I love and will be keeping). I find the BMW electronics (iDrive) to be way better than the VW package. The BMW system starts up faster, and just works better. How do you find the system in the Cayman? I plot out road trips with a Garmin and stick it to the window for my trip, so I really don't care that much about the navigation being able to get me places, and have the expectation it will blow goats.

The sales guy said the Burmester system was really nice, but overkill, and the Bose system was pretty good. I listen to mostly British pop music (Duke Dumont, John Newman, Disclosure) and while I enjoy some Bach and Miles Davis, not usually in the car. Has anyone been able to order Bose or Burmeister with the equivalent to Delete Model Designation on the outside of the car?

2 - Premium Plus Package

Again, comparing the BMW to the VW. I have limited space and have to shuffle my cars, being paranoid, I like that I can lock the BMW while it is running, with the VW this is not easily accomplished, which is a pain in the ***. For example, I do a lot of road trips in the Touareg, and I have dogs, in the summer I would like to leave the A/C going while I am taking a leak at a rest area. In order to do that I have to take apart the door handle and use the ‘emergency’ key, it is frustrating every time. Could someone with this feature tell me if you can lock the car from outside while it is running? How well does it work, with my Touareg, you have to be right beside the car, not an arms length away, right beside it...

3 - PCCB

While, I don’t think I will hesitate to take this car on a track, the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) add almost 10% to the price of the car. Worth it?

4 - What am I missing, or don’t need

I would love to hear from people who have lived with the car, what did you order on your car and regret? What did you regret not ordering?

5 - Seats

In Europe, you can order the carbon fiber sport seats, I would really like those, does anyone know how to get them? I know with the 1M there were some awesome seats offered in the Fatherland, but the airbags were not compatible with North American cars. I seem to remember reading somewhere that similar seats will be available in November for the GT3. Anyone hear if the good seats will be available in North America?

6 - Price

I am purchasing the car in Canada, what is a reasonable discount to expect on this car?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Lee[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Quite a few people on P-9 have ordered a GTS, and a few have even got them and are driving them (lucky basterds!) I'm sure we'd be happy to give you some ordering feedback. We might need a little more specific direction though, as at the moment your questions are very open-ended...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]This is my first post here, I have taken a look and can’t quite fill in the blanks.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2015 Cayman GTS. While sales people try to be helpful, I have found it rare to find one with all the answers.

This will be my second Porsche, I regret selling my 06 993 whenever I think about it!

Here is my build;

Individual equipment

P9I Premium Plus Package GTS with Adaptive sports seats Plus, electrical (18-way)
509 Fire extinguisher
583 Smoking package

I am pretty okay on the mechanical options, I am pretty sold on the locking diff, PASM and PDK. The questions I have can better be answered by someone who has lived with the car for a while.

The things I need help on are really fluffy options, I just can’t figure out if they are worthwhile. While I crack up at the $1,270 air vent slats in leather, and to each their own, I want to strike a balance between wishing I should have spec'd something I missed, and having a $200k Cayman.

1 - Bose & Nav

Is it worth the dough? I have a 2013 VW Touareg and a 2011 1 Series M Coupe (which I love and will be keeping). I find the BMW electronics (iDrive) to be way better than the VW package. The BMW system starts up faster, and just works better. How do you find the system in the Cayman? I plot out road trips with a Garmin and stick it to the window for my trip, so I really don't care that much about the navigation being able to get me places, and have the expectation it will blow goats.

The sales guy said the Burmester system was really nice, but overkill, and the Bose system was pretty good. I listen to mostly British pop music (Duke Dumont, John Newman, Disclosure) and while I enjoy some Bach and Miles Davis, not usually in the car. Has anyone been able to order Bose or Burmeister with the equivalent to Delete Model Designation on the outside of the car?

2 - Premium Plus Package

Again, comparing the BMW to the VW. I have limited space and have to shuffle my cars, being paranoid, I like that I can lock the BMW while it is running, with the VW this is not easily accomplished, which is a pain in the ***. For example, I do a lot of road trips in the Touareg, and I have dogs, in the summer I would like to leave the A/C going while I am taking a leak at a rest area. In order to do that I have to take apart the door handle and use the ‘emergency’ key, it is frustrating every time. Could someone with this feature tell me if you can lock the car from outside while it is running? How well does it work, with my Touareg, you have to be right beside the car, not an arms length away, right beside it...

3 - PCCB

While, I don’t think I will hesitate to take this car on a track, the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) add almost 10% to the price of the car. Worth it?

I would love to hear from people who have lived with the car, what did you order on your car and regret? What did you regret not ordering?

5 - Seats

In Europe, you can order the carbon fiber sport seats, I would really like those, does anyone know how to get them? I know with the 1M there were some awesome seats offered in the Fatherland, but the airbags were not compatible with North American cars. I seem to remember reading somewhere that similar seats will be available in November for the GT3. Anyone hear if the good seats will be available in North America?

6 - Price

I am purchasing the car in Canada, what is a reasonable discount to expect on this car?

Cheers,

Lee

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[TR]

Here is my build;

Individual equipment

509 Fire extinguisher
583 Smoking package

The things I need help on are really fluffy options, I just can’t figure out if they are worthwhile. While I crack up at the $1,270 air vent slats in leather, and to each their own, I want to strike a balance between wishing I should have spec'd something I missed, and having a $200k Cayman.

1 - Bose & Nav

2 - Premium Plus Package

3 - PCCB

5 - Seats

6 - Price

Cheers,

Lee

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm confused. Did he delete his posts or is he probably right now learning how to use the forum?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my original post that is not showing up for some reason;

This is my first post here, I have taken a look and can’t quite fill in the blanks.

Here is my build;

Individual equipment

509 Fire extinguisher
583 Smoking package

The things I need help on are the fluffy options, I just can’t figure out if they are worthwhile spending an hour with the car. While I crack up at the $1,270 air vent slats in leather, and to each their own, I want to strike a balance between wishing I should have spec'd something I missed, and having a $200k Cayman.

1 - Bose & Nav

2 - Premium Plus Package

3 - PCCB

5 - Seats

6 - Price

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
229 Posts
6 - Price

Cheers,

Lee
I barely got any discount on my CGTS. But I ordered on the day Porsche had the press release for the GTS back in March this year.

Don't be surprise Porsche can't accommodate your request for Leipzig collection. Factory delivery slots are extremely limited in Leipzig and priority are given to customers whose cars are bulit in Leipzig - Cayenne, Panamera and Macan.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Ok... a lot of what you're looking for will be better answered by people with first hand experience. You're getting a very heavily optioned car, so I think if there are a few things at the end that you're on the fence over... well... just get them. Better to not have regrets. :)

The only one I will comment on is the PCCB's. I just don't see those being worth the price in any scenario. By all accounts, the stock brakes are great to begin with and they're just SO EXPENSIVE!!

For pricing... I have a post in the regional forum about my experience. I'm in the GTA but bought from Porsche of London and have been extremely happy with the service. Give Tim Bamford a call there and tell him I sent you. I expect you'll be happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
You say you have PASM, yet your ordered the sports suspension (X73)? Why are you sold on the LSD option (PTV)? Since the current (and last) 991 GT3 offers the sports buckets in the US, they may one day be available on future Porsche models. But you might have to wait for the GT4 as they aren't available on the GTS. As for the PCCBs, they may be designed for track use, but most people swap them for the red steel brakes if they track their cars. It seems to a financial decision. But your build seems to be close to $100,000, so maybe that's not an issue?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil,

Thanks for your input.

I ride motorcycles, and when adjusting suspension there is compression & rebound dampening as well as ride height. Ride height also stiffens the suspension. I figured the PASM would be akin to being able to adjust rebound and compression dampening, and sport suspension would be ride height / spring rate, which I think I would prefer to be on the stiffer side.

I have a mechanical LSD in my 1M and had previously had a 135 and noticed a huge difference in cornering especially during rapid elevation changes where the back end can get a little light. I also had ABD on my 993 and was noticeably helpful, especially on one of my favorite stretches of road which is HWY 74 to Idyllwild in California.

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... a lot of what you're looking for will be better answered by people with first hand experience. You're getting a very heavily optioned car, so I think if there are a few things at the end that you're on the fence over... well... just get them. Better to not have regrets. :)
That is what I am thinking... No matter what position you are in financially, it just hurts more when you are not only getting bent over, but their question is not, what kind of lube would you like, but would you like it dry with, or without sand.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
In regards to PCCB, I have those brakes on my Cayman GTS, and also had them on a used 997 Turbo I owned for a short while. I was more than happy to pay for them give how well they work, how clean they keep my wheels, and how often I plan to track my car once I ever get enough miles in the car. Yes, there is the somewhat scary thought of having to someday replace the rotors, and if/when that day comes I may just swap in steel rotors.

If I wasn't planning to track the car 3 or 4 times per year I may not have purchased PCCB. Given how I drive on the track, and the experience a friend of mine had with great life on the PCCB's on his 997 GT3RS, I expect the life span to be a long time. Personally I think some of the fears of wear on the track are more FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) than reality. I've seen people go thru a set of stock Porsche brake pads in a weekend of track days, where I got more than a dozen events and still had pad life left... and I was quicker on the track.

Besides, I opted out of getting navigation (love my Garmin), and passed on PDK, which covered the cost of the PCCBs.

However, I agree the stock brakes are very good and the PCCB cost is hard to justify to most people... like almost any Porsche option other than the fire extinguisher.

Good luck with deciding. You will end up with an amazing car in the end!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Sorry, forgot to state that my comment about getting a dozen track days on my brake pads was in reference to the stock Porsche pads I had on a 987 Boxster S.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Bueller: Perhaps we are talking across each other, but the GTS comes with PASM as standard. It's a valved computer-controlled system with two selectable settings (on the console.) There's a "softer" around town harsh-road setting and a "stiffer" race-track type setting. The PASM is also dynamic in that it adjusts depending on the road conditions and how hard you are driving. It's not a magnetic system, but it's similar.
The X-73 sports suspension option replaces PASM, and it's a passive, fixed damper suspension with harder springs and different dampers. It also comes with thicker sway bars. You can't have both--if you check X73 you lose the PASM button on the console and you can't choose what "softness" your suspension is--it's always going to be more GT3 stiff.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Only get PCCB if you are a very hardcore track person. Very expensive to use on a daily driver or weekend car that sees little track use.
I got PTV for the limited slip diff. Worth it to me, not worth it to others.
If you did manage to find those seats, just don't get into a major accident on the road. Your insurance company will probably ream you for it.

My best advice: research each feature here on the forum. You will get a lot of varying opinions on each item, but you can see which opinions line up with your vision of the car and how you will use it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Phil,

It is my understanding that on the S you can get one or the other, and on the S Sport Suspension lowers the car 20mm.

On the GTS PASM is included with the package, and the GTS is 10mm lower than the S If you add the sport suspension you get stiffer springs, beefier roll bars and an additional 10mm off the ride height.

I have motorcycles with active / electronically controlled suspension, and it really is amazing!

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike,

I love the silver, I am leaning that way, I usually like white from a practicality standpoint, but the silver accentuates the beautiful lines down the side of the car, where I am wondering if the white makes the sides look a little to slab like.

I think I will forgo the Fire extinguisher, my thinking was that it is a requirement for some tracks, and figured $160 seemed less than I would guess an aftermarket unit would cost. With more research I have seen that the Porsche unit is not sufficient for most requirements.

The brakes are a tough one, if I was thinking that it something that can only be fully appreciated at 9/10th

Cheers,

Lee

·
Registered
108 Posts
Phil,

It is my understanding that on the S you can get one or the other, and on the S Sport Suspension lowers the car 20mm.

On the GTS PASM is included with the package, and the GTS is 10mm lower than the S If you add the sport suspension you get stiffer springs, beefier roll bars and an additional 10mm off the ride height.

I have motorcycles with active / electronically controlled suspension, and it really is amazing!

Cheers,

Lee
Nope, it is one or the other, not both. Otherwise, the sport suspension option wouldn't be free.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Phil,

Cheers,

Lee
GTS Default: PASM with springs set 10mm lower than STANDARD. Allows Sport/Sport Plus/Manual control of damper setting of the PASM shocks. It's always actively adjusting itself based on driving conditions, just like alot of the motorcycle suspensions you're starting to see on bikes like the Multistrada, HP4, etc.

GTS Sports Suspension Option: Free EXCHANGE of PASM with 20mm lower than standard springs and beefier roll bars. Static suspension setup that can't be computer or manually controlled.

Neither option allows for adjustment of your actual ride height, that remains at either -10mm or -20mm depending on the option.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts