Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( It had to happen. This is the week the Polar Vortex made it over here, along with some overnight snow and predicted temperatures tonight in the teens. This week the tire pressure got pumped up to 36 cold and my old buddy, the CTEK 3300, is now plugged in. I did get it out a few days ago for a last run, but it looks like my 981 driving days will be very limited for a while.

On the other hand ... I did just pick up a new 2015 Mercedes C300 all wheel drive sedan. Not quite as exciting as a Porsche, but the learning curve on that car's computer interface will keep me busy for quite some time. The MB is also silver, but really different than the Platinum Silver on the 981. Much purer silver, with none of the "champagne" undertones in the Platinum.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear this Stan. Hope you don't also take a holiday from posting here. I won't go telling you how nice it is in AZ right now either. :)
You know Marty, I'm retiring at the end of the year and will have lots of time to travel soon. I already visited Brian (BJR) in Sydney earlier this year, so a future trip to AZ is not out of the question.

Reactions: bybybmw

·
Registered
192 Posts
:( It had to happen. This is the week the Polar Vortex made it over here, along with some overnight snow and predicted temperatures tonight in the teens. This week the tire pressure got pumped up to 36 cold and my old buddy, the CTEK 3300, is now plugged in. I did get it out a few days ago for a last run, but it looks like my 981 driving days will be very limited for a while.

On the other hand ... I did just pick up a new 2015 Mercedes C300 all wheel drive sedan. Not quite as exciting as a Porsche, but the learning curve on that car's computer interface will keep me busy for quite some time. The MB is also silver, but really different than the Platinum Silver on the 981. Much purer silver, with none of the "champagne" undertones in the Platinum.

Sweet Benz. I was looking at one of those also but too chicken to pull the trigger. How do you like it (if I can ask that on this forum without flames)?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Bummer about putting the Boxster away. Those two cars sure blend well in downtown Whitefield ;-) I love MB. Never tried the one you have, but I have an old ('05) E320 4matic with 150,000 mis. that my daughters use. I love driving that car. It is very different from, but very complimentary to the Porsche. Enjoy!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm originally from New England and in the past put 3 different Porsches away for the winter. Didn't like it much. Know how you feel. Won't rub it in either about Florida but if you get down this way let me know.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The thing about New England is that, unlike Siberia, they don't shoot you for trying to leave. Other than that, I couldn't see much difference when I lived up there.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sweet Benz. I was looking at one of those also but too chicken to pull the trigger. How do you like it (if I can ask that on this forum without flames)?
I only have 1100 miles on it, so I'm still getting used to it. It's a C300, with the turbo 4, and the base suspension system. It's funny, but owning the 981 made me shy away from the sport suspension and bigger engine. I figured I already had the ideal fun car, and just really wanted a comfortable cruiser for the family sedan.

So far, I'm finding it to be a competent handling car with a comfortable ride. The steering is a bit lighter than what I'm used to, but it is accurate with a hint of actual road feel. The interior is beautiful, roomy and very comfortable. The turbo 4 can hit 0-60 runs in the low 6 second range, and I've already seen over 32 mpg in highway driving. The 7 speed transmission is also well mated to the engine.

So, at this point, I'd have to say it's a very competent and satisfying car to drive. Not a Porsche fun factor, but very competitive in its segment.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Sorry to hear, it's been snowing and freezing cold this whole week but we expect to be back in the mid 40's and sunny next week. Look forward to driving my 981 next week. I like Mercedes silver, especially Iridium, it has a metallic sparks look which IMO, looks better than any silver on any brand. A lot of people say MB lost it's reliability, I had the SLK for 8 years with only a faulty temp sensor that was replaced under warranty and no other problems.

Love the redesigned c class it's beautiful and truly looks like a baby S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every C Class looks like a baby S class, been as long as I can remember.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I grew up in New England but moved to Atlanta for work with Coke in 1990 and now live in Florida. It was at that point that I started buying 'impractical cars'....(i.e., did not have to be even remotely snow worthy). Do like your choice in winter conveyance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sorry to hear, but congratulations on the new car purchase. Sweet Benz.
I think I got my last top down day here on Wednesday. Now that I have a heated garage, I may forgo officially closing shop for the winter and keep my options open for clear day clean road driving. Might be tricky on the summer tires, but well, going to play it by ear!

·
Incurable Gearhead
963 Posts
Hunker down, Stan. I'll post up the occasional pic from a nice drive down here. Absolutely love NH, btw!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I live in New England. Porsche isn't going to sit for months, but it'll only be taken out A) when the roads are dry and B) when I have to (or when I really want to). My "second car" is ZipCar for when I need it, and my "first car" is my feet/subway/bus.

Before you scream, "The salt! Think of the salt!", my MX-5 was driven through New England winters for 8 years including reasonable amounts of snow. When I put it on the lift just prior to selling it there wasn't a single speck of rust. Anywhere. Yes, a rust-free New England Mazda. That's what you get when you're fastidious about taking care of your cars.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify .... I will take the car out during the winter months IF the roads are clear and dry, and if the temperature moderates. I will not take the car out if there is gravel or salt on the road. That's not so much because of rust, but rather because of the ease with which these cars pick up paint and wheel chips.

The last couple of winters have been particularly bad, with just mounds of gravel on most roads. It takes a few heavy spring downpours to get all that junk washed away.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I put my cars into storage several weeks ago and have been moping ever since. We have snow on the ground now and I don't think it's going away any time soon, maybe April.

I recently bought this for winter. A little less elegant than Stan's winter transport.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
One time it rained in San Francisco.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Similar type of Winter weather coming to NJ. How long should I wait to drive the car after say it snows and salt is down? After all the snow is 100% gone I assume salt will be everywhere until a hard rainstorm.

Just to clarify .... I will take the car out during the winter months IF the roads are clear and dry, and if the temperature moderates. I will not take the car out if there is gravel or salt on the road. That's not so much because of rust, but rather because of the ease with which these cars pick up paint and wheel chips.

The last couple of winters have been particularly bad, with just mounds of gravel on most roads. It takes a few heavy spring downpours to get all that junk washed away.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Similar type of Winter weather coming to NJ. How long should I wait to drive the car after say it snows and salt is down? After all the snow is 100% gone I assume salt will be everywhere until a hard rainstorm.
The rule of thumb here used to be 2-3 good rains to wash the salt off. Now with brine usage, it takes even longer. You can see salt from the brine on the roads here even after 2 straight weeks of rain. How patient are you?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts