Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to start a thread to teach people how to embed YouTube and Google videos. This is a cool ability and it keeps the site clean and easy to browse, yet I often find myself converting links to embedded videos so I thought it would be a good idea to start a little tutorial on the topic.

YouTube Videos:

Let's take a look at YouTube videos first. Every YouTube video has a unique video identifier. This is usually made up of letters and numbers and it's usually pretty long (~12 characters). Here is a link to a YouTube Video that I will use as an example: YouTube - Porsche Cayman S promotional video

If you visit that link you will see a window that looks something like this:

The video identifier can be found in the URL. It always follows 'v=', so in this case, the Video ID is 3TZKkPLxXJM. Do you see it up there in the link?

Now, if you copy that video ID, then click the YouTube button in your post editor and then paste the video id inside the YouTube tags, you will get something that looks like this:

HTML:
[MEDIA=youtube]3TZKkPLxXJM[/MEDIA]
I did that inside an HTML code box, just so you can see what it will look like. If I do it outside the code box, it will look like this:

Done deal. We just embedded a YouTube video.

Google Videos:

Google videos work very much the same way, only instead of calling it a Video ID, it's called a Document ID. The docid is a bit longer and only made up of numbers. Here is a link that we can use as an examle: Road & Track Video Exclusive: BMW Z4 M Coupe vs. Porsche Cayman S

If you open it, you will get a window like this:

This time I will click the Google Video button, and then paste in the docid, which will look like this:

HTML:
When I do that outside the code box, I get:

See that..... Now you're an expert on embedding videos at the Cayman Club. I hope you've found this interesting and informative and I hope you'll put your new found skills to the test.

See you around,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts