Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find the Cayman "S" clutch action just a bit primitive?

Mine feel rough in slow traffic and the pedal also has a very annoying click during operation

I mean the clutch is hydraulically operated and as far from the pedal as technically possible, but to me still doesn't feel smooth or fluid

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

Mine feel rough in slow traffic and the pedal also has a very annoying click during operation

I mean the clutch is hydraulically operated and as far from the pedal as technically possible, but to me still doesn't feel smooth or fluid
I think Caymans (and Boxsters) have some of the best, easiest to modulate, clutch action of any car I've ever driven, and I've driven many different cars. I think something is wrong with your car, and you should take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think Caymans (and Boxsters) have some of the best, easiest to modulate, clutch action of any car I've ever driven, and I've driven many different cars. I think something is wrong with your car, and you should take it to a dealer and have it checked out.
+1 - Smoothest, easiest to modulate I've ever driven...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is the same as the dealers 2.9 Cayman I drove last week, so I don't think it's that car so much as the design.

I suppose it's what you're used to, I jumped in the Companies 320 BMW yesterday, and the clucth was so silky smooth on the take up, it did have the anouying CDV that BM's are famous for, but it only really has an effect on hard take offs.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The clicking noise is the switch that lets the ecu know the clutch is engaged to start the engine. Really low click so fix for that would be have some sort of music playing in the car or zip-tie the switch down.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Mine is the same as the dealers 2.9 Cayman I drove last week, so I don't think it's that car so much as the design.

I suppose it's what you're used to, I jumped in the Companies 320 BMW yesterday, and the clucth was so silky smooth on the take up, it did have the anouying CDV that BM's are famous for, but it only really has an effect on hard take offs.
The CDV only has an effect on hard takeoffs? That's not my experience, and a BMW manual transmission car sits in my garage with the Porsche, and it had two predecessors. A 1-2 shift takes some real practice to accomplish smoothly, accelerating modestly or aggressively.

I think I give up, because I can't figure out what you're talking about with the term "crudeness".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clicking noise is the switch that lets the ecu know the clutch is engaged to start the engine. Really low click so fix for that would be have some sort of music playing in the car or zip-tie the switch down.

I "zipped the switch down" this morning and it threw up a "drive off assist failure" warning on my computer :wall:

·
The 2006-08 Cayman LED spar guy!
6,012 Posts

Hello Creepy Coupe,

I was rather disappointed in my car's initial take-off; although I never felt that the problem as actually with the clutch. Once I installed my Sprint Booster the source of the problem, the e-throttle, became extremely obvious. I now enjoy my clutch action relative to take-off and can perform second gear starts with ease and without excessive wear to the clutch. Although I'd never recommend it, you will even be able to do third gear starts.

Regards,
Joe

·
Registered
186 Posts
I second that one - worst clutch action ever.
I can't believe people find the G35/G37/350Z/370Z clutch acceptable. I've driven most of those iterations, and I've been appalled each time. It feels weirdly non-linear in effort in a way that seems designed to make it as hard as possible to have any control over what you're doing.

I'm still waiting for my CS, but both times I've test driven, I've been impressed how I instantly felt at home with the clutch and shifter. It's part of the reason I didn't opt for PDK -- I want that manual!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
With the exception of a used 928 that I'm not sure the clutch wasn't damaged I've always found Porsche clutches easy to operate smoothly. Even the old 911's with the pedal hinged from the bottom wasn't an issue once you got used to the different pedal motion. Ditto for BMW. CDV or not I've never found them anything other than smooth and easy to operate.

The Cayman follows this pattern. Smooth and easy to operate. I did find it easy to stall it when I first got it. I suspect the flywheel is pretty light and a lack of attention on my part. Always happened when I was just commuting or some other mundane operation. The addition of SRP/Capristo/Softronic flash made this much harder to do even when not paying attention to it.

I've found that many Japanese clutches take some getting used to. They've gotten the things so low in pedal force with the takeup just off the floor there's no feel at all. The typical domestic clutch where you're knee is up by your chin before it's out also takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The clicking you hear is a button that's pressed by the pedal. There's two: one at the top and one at the bottom (which you need to engage to start the car). You may disable the top one it if you like with some duct-tape. The bottom one you shouldn't really hear, the bite point is way higher. Other than that, the clutche's actual engagement is quite buttery as far as I'm concerned. It's even smoother on the 2.7.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
With the exception of a used 928 that I'm not sure the clutch wasn't damaged

All the early dual disk 928 clutches were that way when they got hot. You had to be a bit aggressive to get a smooth launch.
Thanks, could be but it seemed that way from the start. I do tend to be a bit more polite when the car is not mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing it doesn't work with yours since its probably one of the facelifted ones with that drive off assist feature. Did it cure the clicking sound though?
Not really the clicking was more noticable from the other switch, which I didn't touch, good point re the Gen 2.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
I agree. I've spent 20 years driving manual transmission cars. The clutch action on my Cayman is better than anything I've ever driven.

I suspect your impression is caused by an expectation that has been generated by another car that you are more used to. Some of today's hydraulicly actuated clutches are so over done, so light that you can't feel anything through the pedal. To me, that is bad, maybe that's what you're expecting. I want to feel the pressure plate moving. I want to feel it starting to bite the clutch disc. I want it to speak to me through the pedal, but not so much that it feels crude. To me, the clutch in my Cayman is perfect. I feel enough, but not too much. The pedal is not too light, not too heavy. It grabs at a nice height from the floor and is easy to modulate throughout it's range of motion. What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
With the exception of one single car (2007 VW GTI DSG), I have only owned manuals. And I have to agree, the CS clutch is among the best I have ever driven.

I too have the switch clicking sound, and frankly Porsche could have done that alot better, but it is not bad enough that I really let it bother me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts