Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to your thoughts on what the possible issue with my clutch could be.

I have an 08 CS with 50k kms (about 31k miles) and the other day when I was driving I pushed down the clutch and it felt as if there was less resistance than there usually is. Then later that day I noticed that the clutch was engaging at a much high point. Normally it engages fairly early when left the clutch out and now it was engaging towards the top of the clutch travel. Now I don't think my clutch would go at such low mileage and I thought that if a clutch goes it happens slowly over time and not in the course of a day, correct me if I'm wrong? What else do you think could be causing this issue? I think the main thing here is the car still drives but the clutch pedal feels much less resistance even though it springs back up after I press it down. I thought maybe an issue with the hydraulics or cylinders? The gears engage but feels as if its slipping or not biting enough. Please let me know if any of you have experienced this. Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m actually having this issue right now, started over the weekend. The “bite” feels weak and high, but the clutch does not slip when the pedal is fully released, in gear, and I floor it (the traditional indication that the clutch is toast).

Did you drive it hard recently? Our cars have auto-adjusting hydraulic clutches. On previous cars I’ve owned with auto-adjusting clutches, the clutch would sometimes (seemingly) readjust itself after a hard drive. Or the clutch material could glaze over from overheating, and then come back and bite normally after it cools down and some normal street miles wear the glaze off. Don’t know if that’s common with Caymans, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't driven it hard lately, basically just pressed the clutch down one time and it instantly felt different, noticed it wasn't biting as hard and the engagement point was different. Pressing down it feels normal but when releasing there isn't as much push back from the resistance that's usually there.

·
Registered
879 Posts
This happened to my car just before the clutch failed. It's the pressure plate giving up: some of the spring fingers fail, so it's easier to press down (less spring rate). Soon enough fingers will fail so that the clutch won't release at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happened to my car just before the clutch failed. It's the pressure plate giving up: some of the spring fingers fail, so it's easier to press down (less spring rate). Soon enough fingers will fail so that the clutch won't release at all.
Oh boy. Was your’s the stock pressure plate? Mine is the Sachs Performance system. After I had it installed, I read the pressure plates on those may be weak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's what my pedal felt like too when the pressure plate went. Sounds like you need a new clutch. Mine went at just over 45K miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts