Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to both the forum and to Porsche's here.
I've recently brought a manual 2011 987.2 Cayman S.

Generally loving it however shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (and to a lesser extent 2nd to 3rd) when driving spiritedly and letting the clutch out quickly produces a violent judder/jerk.

As I say, I am new to Porsche's and am used to driving knackered old diesel vans for my business so i'm unsure if i'm just being stupid and need to get used to the car or if there is an issue.

The reputable dealer I purchased the car from fitted a new clutch and flywheel and I was aware some wearing in might be required but i've put about 700 miles on it now and am still noticing it. It drives fine under normal driving, i.e letting the clutch out slowly and perfectly shifting above 3rd

Basically letting the clutch out quickly makes it jerk/judder. Its still under warranty so am considering taking it back to the dealer and getting them to take a look but I wanted some advice on whether it sounds like its me or the car first!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure what you mean by judder. If it's shuddering, I would expect the clutch is slipping. If that is the case, you should also smell burning clutch odors. I expect the jerk is normal for quickly letting out the clutch and hard acceleration.
Enjoy your car, the more you drive 'em the more you love 'em !

Reactions: Matt97

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
Welcome to Planet-9! The Friendly Porsche forum.

Difficult call. Certainly releasing a clutch really quickly may cause a shock to the driveline giving the symptoms you are describing. I'd suggest finding another example to try driving - see if it feels the same. If not - a visit back to the dealer may be in order.

Also - when you have a chance - please visit: New Member Introductions - tell us all about yourself and your car and post some photos of the car.. we just love to read these. Can I ask where you found out about our forum? It seems we've been getting a LOT of new UK members in the past week or so.

Reactions: Matt97

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can you replicate the jerk feeling or any clonking noise by getting on/off the gas in first gear quickly?

Shot in the dark, but if it's not a clutch problem I'm wondering if your engine and/or transmission mounts may be shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you replicate the jerk feeling or any clonking noise by getting on/off the gas in first gear quickly?

Shot in the dark, but if it's not a clutch problem I'm wondering if your engine and/or transmission mounts may be shot.
I’ll give it a go, thanks.

I spoke to the dealer today anyway and they said drop it back and they would have a look

1 - 5 of 5 Posts