Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys recently purchased a 2012 cayman S black Edition 6 speed manual. Apparently had a clutch job 11/19 but today I noticed that it’s hard to shift. The clutch is ever so slightly dragging (aka not disengaging) once it’s up to temp. Makes it a pain to get it into first and reverse hear some Grinding and it’ll slightly move forward if it’s level. Any ideas or anyone had this happen ? My shop can’t get me in for two weeks and I don’t want to drive it

·
Senior Porsche Financier
732 Posts
Iirc the clutch hydraulics use the brake fluid - check its level in the frunk?

That's the only easy thing I can think of. The rest are along the line of failing clutch slave cylinders or a need to be bled?

1 other easy thing ... Check for something at the floor limiting the pedal travel.

Good luck,
-PM.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
42 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
And don't keep driving it. You're going to destroy the transmission...

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
21 Posts
Could also be that the fluid hasn't been changed since new and has accumulated water. If you don't have records of the fluid being changed, it probably needs to be. A good guideline for street driving is to replace it (and your brake fluid) every two years. The fluid is hygroscopic. Regardless, yes, stop driving it and have the system inspected.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
If you do need to drive it one more time, try getting into 4th gear at about 1500 RPM. Floor it. Listen to engine RPMs for obvious slipping; I know it was just changed, but those symptoms together are a failing clutch (bent fingers)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: independent euro shop 1 says it needs a clutch or they need to tear it apart to diagnose. I said no as I called the Porsche dealer that did the new clutch 7 months and 2500 miles ago and they have records. Will now have it sent to the local Porsche dealer here to see what they say.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll keep you guys updated it’s going to the Porsche dealer Tuesday , my birthday

·
Registered
45 Posts
Following. I hope this is just a slave cylinder issue. Better yet, just a fluid issue. Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
35 Posts
Update: independent euro shop 1 says it needs a clutch or they need to tear it apart to diagnose. I said no as I called the Porsche dealer that did the new clutch 7 months and 2500 miles ago and they have records. Will now have it sent to the local Porsche dealer here to see what they say.
If they did the clutch that recent I would have gone directly to them and just had them deal with it...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, he can still do that. I consider the dealer to be the absolute last resort, as they tend to find a way to extract $$$ as much as possible, needed service or not. However, getting a copy of the records might be useful. It might be that they screwed up the clutch job and depending on the state he is in and the agreement for the clutch job it could be a warranty item.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
35 Posts
Well, he can still do that. I consider the dealer to be the absolute last resort, as they tend to find a way to extract $$$ as much as possible, needed service or not. However, getting a copy of the records might be useful. It might be that they screwed up the clutch job.
I won’t disagree... they can try..you hope it’s a warranty thing... it’s always two sides tho... was the work done correctly? Was the car hammered on? (No dis on OP), it’s just scenarios

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys update here and not good news. Porsche dealer diagnosed it as a failure in the clutch and required I approve them dropping the tranny. I approved and they did drop it , saying If any part failed it would be under Porsche warranty.

Turns out when they removed it they found the pressure plate flopping around because Porsche Beachwood installed it wrong and didn’t tighten the bolts . Porsche warranty does not cover parts installed incorrectly so I’m screwed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, he can still do that. I consider the dealer to be the absolute last resort, as they tend to find a way to extract $$$ as much as possible, needed service or not. However, getting a copy of the records might be useful. It might be that they screwed up the clutch job and depending on the state he is in and the agreement for the clutch job it could be a warranty item.
Shout out to you sir ! Yes the dealer Porsche Beachwood (they are 800 miles away from me now )did not do the clutch job correctly ! I’m trying to fight them on it but I didn’t own the car when they did it . We will see if they do the right thing . This was 7 months ago and less than 3k miles on this destroyed clutch due to them not tightening bolts . It’s the simple things

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
35 Posts
What in the ph*ck!?!? And they did that wrong?? That’s their eff-up in my eyes... that’s crazy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What in the ph*ck!?!? And they did that wrong?? That’s their eff-up in my eyes... that’s crazy!
Oh it’s totally their fault , my dealer is willing to provide the statement of what the found and I looped in th general manager of Porsche Beachwood...this is perhaps the most egregious mistake I have ever seen in cars ever. You’ve got to tighten bolts

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S
35 Posts
Oh it’s totally their fault , my dealer is willing to provide the statement of what the found and I looped in th general manager of Porsche Beachwood...this is perhaps the most egregious mistake I have ever seen in cars ever. You’ve got to tighten bolts
It was installed at 4:45pm on a Friday.... someone is in trouble

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can’t post the video here but all those pictures were taken by the technician that took the tranny out ...he took a video of him taking his hands and literally shaking the pressure plate on the flywheel it was moving . You can see those bolts are not even in tight

1 - 20 of 25 Posts