Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
138 Posts
I can’t post the video here but all those pictures were taken by the technician that took the tranny out ...he took a video of him taking his hands and literally shaking the pressure plate on the flywheel it was moving . You can see those bolts are not even in tight
Ya best you don’t flash that around.. **** happens, now they just need to make it right and everyone will be happy.. if anything else needs replaced while it’s apart... good time to do it... I’d remove the IMS bearing seal personally...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ya best you don’t flash that around.. **** happens, now they just need to make it right and everyone will be happy.. if anything else needs replaced while it’s apart... good time to do it... I’d remove the IMS bearing seal personally...
There is no IMS bearing it’s a 987.2 cayman S ...yes believe me I will make sure everyone in this forum and others know not to go to Porsche Beachwood if they don’t make this right. For now it’s between us but this is bad. My request will be for them to pay for the parts and send my dealer the parts , I’ll pay for labor. Bottom line

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is no IMS bearing it’s a 987.2 cayman S ...yes believe me I will make sure everyone in this forum and others know not to go to Porsche Beachwood if they don’t make this right. For now it’s between us but this is bad.
Ahh, yes.. dot 2

yes word travels fast..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ahh, yes.. dot 2

yes word travels fast..
100% it’s very important and something I didn’t realize Porsche will not stand behind parts installed incorrectly so you roll the dice with the 4:45pm Friday technician . I’ll be sure to update you guys but I hope they step up and help . If not nobody should ever go there again because you could be in this situation.

·
Registered
138 Posts
100% it’s very important and something I didn’t realize Porsche will not stand behind parts installed incorrectly so you roll the dice with the 4:45pm Friday technician . I’ll be sure to update you guys but I hope they step up and help . If not nobody should ever go there again because you could be in this situation.
If they won’t pay for an oem clutch (assuming), and you have to buy a clutch, get something with a little more girth.. imo... then again they probably wouldn’t want involvement with that... crazy..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If they won’t pay for an oem clutch (assuming), and you have to buy a clutch, get something with a little more girth.. imo... then again they probably wouldn’t want involvement with that... crazy..
It’s going together either way whether I pay or they pay , the parts are already sitting next to the car. It’s going to be OEM, the whole car is stock . It’s a very rare manual black edition cayman. I’m obligated to keep it stock as the new owner

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
SIX GRAND ???

I guess I'm not charging enough ...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If it's not repaired properly on their dime I would find myself the most vicious lawyer I could and sue them into the next century for parts, labor, legal fees and aggravation, even if it cost me more than paying for the replacement. There are very good lawyers out there that drool over something like this. You just have to find them and hopefully engage them on a contingency contract.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If it's not repaired properly on their dime I would find myself the most vicious lawyer I could and sue them into the next century for parts, labor, legal fees and aggravation, even if it cost me more than paying for the replacement. There are very good lawyers out there that drool over something like this. You just have to find them and hopefully engage them on a contingency contract.
Good point here but my only concern is I didn’t directly pay for this repair , the clutch was put in by the PO as a contingency for the sale 6 months ago. I assumed it would be done correctly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good point here but my only concern is I didn’t directly pay for this repair , the clutch was put in by the PO as a contingency for the sale 6 months ago. I assumed it would be done correctly.
Can we assume the clutch did behave correctly for most of the 6 months since it was installed?

It's rather odd that it went that long without a problem, then came loose and has problems. It seems unlikely to me that the bolts holding the pressure plate in place would take 6 months to loosen up enough to cause problems. If they weren't initially tightened I would have thought they would loosen within a few hours of use and problems would be evident.

When you were driving it during that 6 months did it get progressively worse, or was it a sudden change?

Looking at one of your photos that shows, what I'd surmise is one of the pressure plate hold-down bolts - it appears as if the housing of the pressure plate is actually torn away. That would lead me to think the part may have been defective meaning Porsche owes you the part and the labor to install it (provided it was installed by a Porsche dealer's shop.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Can we assume the clutch did behave correctly for most of the 6 months since it was installed?

It's rather odd that it went that long without a problem, then came loose and has problems. It seems unlikely to me that the bolts holding the pressure plate in place would take 6 months to loosen up enough to cause problems. If they weren't initially tightened I would have thought they would loosen within a few hours of use and problems would be evident.

When you were driving it during that 6 months did it get progressively worse, or was it a sudden change?

Looking at one of your photos that shows, what I'd surmise is one of the pressure plate hold-down bolts - it appears as if the housing of the pressure plate is actually torn away. That would lead me to think the part may have been defective meaning Porsche owes you the part and the labor to install it (provided it was installed by a Porsche dealer's shop.)
Yes you’d be correct , it never drove right but got progressively worse to the point where the clutch wouldn’t disengage at all.
I don’t know how many bolts hold the pressure plate on but 1 on each side was loose , I’m assume the others weren’t so it was just vibrating back and forth it didn’t like fall off

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
The flywheel is very expensive ..without that it’s less
Of course, if one's not equipped with the tools needed for the job, ya gotta bite the bullet, one caliber (dealer) or another (indy).

I'll do my own since I am equipped with the necessary tools. It's less than $1,000 for Sachs dual mass flywheel, Sachs disc and pressure plate, mf'd. on the same production line as the OEM components. If using a LUK D/M flywheel, it's less than $800. for parts.

Shop Cars.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So we have finally found out the fate of the car Porsche Beachwood is denying responsibility so I am going to have to pay to fix the car.

I’ll let you all cast your own judgements on weather or not you’d want to go to such a dealer to fix your car

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
See if you can find an well respected independent mechanic to do the repairs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
See if you can find an well respected independent mechanic to do the repairs
I have one but it’s gonna cost me more to get it there than it’s worth since it’s on a lift in pieces , I authorized Hendrick to do the repairs they have the parts sitting there. I’ll also get another 2 year unlimited mileage warranty that doesn't cover **** if it’s installed wrong

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
So we have finally found out the fate of the car Porsche Beachwood is denying responsibility so I am going to have to pay to fix the car.

I’ll let you all cast your own judgements on weather or not you’d want to go to such a dealer to fix your car
Sorry you're going through this trouble. Next time I'm out at Beachwood I'll give them hell. That aside I would check out the shift cables. As you might know they are an issue that Porsche seems to ignore. I have #456 CSBE and the the cable failed at 30k. I replaced them with a Numeric set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sorry you're going through this trouble. Next time I'm out at Beachwood I'll give them hell. That aside I would check out the shift cables. As you might know they are an issue that Porsche seems to ignore. I have #456 CSBE and the the cable failed at 30k. I replaced them with a Numeric set.

I just got the car back new pressure plate , new flywheel , and new clutch. I can now say for certain it was messed up the entire time and they 100% did it wrong. It now drives perfectly and the clutch operates very differently with no violent shaking and hard shifting caused by their lack of tightening the bolts on that new clutch set. So sad

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
Sorry you had to experience that. We went through something similar with VW of America, who decided not to admonish one of their dealerships for destroying my wife's '99 Beetle during a simple fog light replacement.

6 months down the line, a brick through the dealership's showroom window might settle the score ... or so I've heard ... lol.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts