Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member here. Picked up my 07 CS about two weeks ago to replace my BMW 335i. Hope some of you can help shed some light on an issue. I did a few searches and wasn't able to find a similar issue.

I was just beginning to fall in love with my first porsche after having to spend some hours the first two weekends isolating the "hatch clunk". Thanks to great instructions by Rainer and a couple others, I was able to get rid of 90% of the thunk, clunk and boom. Now to my issue...

Left my office parking lot and everything was fine. After a couple lights, going about 20 mph, I stepped down on the clutch pedal to shift from 2nd to 3rd. While releasing the clutch pedal, something didn't feel right. The pedal felt reluctant to come up as if was sticking at various parts of its way back up. It almost seemed like a few inches of friction point. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the pedal spring breaking because the bottom and top pedal travel still felt "springy". I'm praying it's not the clutch wearing out. It shouldn't be right?...since the pedal felt fine stepping on it the previous time before the issue suddenly happen.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow morning to take it in, but it'd be nice to have a better idea of what might be wrong beforehand.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like something I experienced on my 2007 CS....clutch action wasn't smooth and there was also a noise when depressing the clutch....at first I thought I just wasn't as use to using a manual tranny again....it was under warranty...turned out to be two issues, most importantly since it hadn't been used alot there was a slight coating of rust on the throw out bearing on the clutch....so it wasn't releasing smoothly...dealer replaced it...requiring dropping the transmission...and second apparently its common for a noise to occur on one of the clutch release cable/bearings...they get dirty and thus make noise...after this was done...it was perfect....perhaps you have the same issue...just a guess

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I will be bringing it in to service tomorrow and I'll mention all the recalls to them. I will update the status of what they have to say.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a call back from the service at Porsche and they're saying it's not the cylinders and most likely the clutch pressure plate. He told me it's not covered under warranty. I tried contesting it saying, "..what if the clutch disk does not show excessive wear and tear and there's still something wrong with the pressure plate, wouldn't that be a mechanical defect not involving wear and tear..." His response was simply that Porsche would not cover anything in the clutch. I'm really bummed out. It's less $2100 I have fork out to fix it, but more the fact that I just bought the car 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to get a hold of another dealer to get a second opinion and possibly getting a quote from an independent Porsche mechanic if it really has to be out of pocket. That's my story.

On a side note, hope this is allowed. I called up a shop, Rennshop Inc, here in the San Francisco south bay area. He literally spent 30 minutes on the phone with me going over what my issue can be and my best approach. He was actually steering me towards a certain dealer in this area that might be more helpful than the one my car is currently at. I called him because his Yelp reviews were excellent. Keep in mind I have not done any business with him, but he has earned all my business once my warranty is out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This really gets under my skin. I understand that Porsche maybe concerned about drivers abusing the clutch or not knowing how to shift but I have read some stories with new cars having issue and Porsche declines warranty. I would think (I am not a mechanic) that when a car is new that they would be able to tell if the clutch is abused or it has a premature or manufacturing defect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts