Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch pedal stuck to the floor (3) times yesterday in my 2007 Cayman S. I was able to coast to a stop and pull it up by hand and continue home.
I purchased the car in January and drove it 1 1/2 hours and parked it in the garage of our 2nd home. Yesterday is only the 2nd time I've driven it since purchasing it as we have not been here. The car has 78,000 miles on it. One owner.
The clutch/brake fluid level is fine.
I have spoken with the Porsche Dealer in Johnson City, TN and they are emaiing me the service records they have for the car so I can see if the clutch has been replaced. But, their records only go back to 2014.
Unfortunately I am only in North Carolina for a week before I return to Michigan.
I have an appointment in the morning with Xpertech in Asheville, NC. The Porsche dealers in the area are booked out.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Once you pull the clutch pedal back up, does it function as normal? A soft pedal that goes to the floor can be caused by air or a leak in the clutch slave cylinder but I wouldn't expect that to "heal".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - it functions and feels normal after I pulled it up. It happened (3) times in about two hours of driving. It happened when I was downshifting to make a turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. This gives me a starting point.
I was able to reach the previous owner. The clutch has not been replaced. It has 78,000 miles. Is it time?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unfortunately that is one of the options. I would start with the cheap/easy ones first and hopefully you find a binding linkage or weak spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I will share this information with the independent shop I am leaving it with tomorrow..

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,822 Posts
It "sounds" like a hydraulic issue to me. I'd suggest that you start with that system first. Clutch life is subject to how it's been used. If used well, it could last twice the current mileage. If not, then half this mileage isn't out of the question.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
What Croc'ed said. Had that happen on an Audi shortly after changing the fluid. Re-bleed the clutch slave and everything was happy. Don't know whether I screwed up or there was a spec of dirt on the bleeder screw seat. Either way I'd start by bleeding the clutch and maybe you'll get lucky. If not check for leaks. Hydraulic lines and the master and slave cylinders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Croc'ed said. Had that happen on an Audi shortly after changing the fluid. Re-bleed the clutch slave and everything was happy. Don't know whether I screwed up or there was a spec of dirt on the bleeder screw seat. Either way I'd start by bleeding the clutch and maybe you'll get lucky. If not check for leaks. Hydraulic lines and the master and slave cylinders.
Thank you to all. A shop in Asheville, NC, Xpertech, was able to work me in this am to diagnose it. They feel it is a hydraulic issue as well. They are ordering replacement OEM slave & master cylinders and should be able to to install them Tuesday. I plan to continue to drive it until then. It stuck to the floor twice today and I was able to pull it up with my left foot. Scary still.

·
Registered
198 Posts
First thing to try is to bleed the clutch line and slave cylinder. While this doesn't get as hot as brakes, it is still important to flush the clutch and slave every 2 years. If that doesn't fix the issue, then try replacing the slave cylinder. These things fail rather easily. These are both inexpensive. Only after both of these fail should you go after the clutch itself. The fact that your pedal is sticking down and can be pulled up and operated, almost assures that it's air bubbles in the line or a bad slave. The master cylinders rarely fail.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Happened to me a few years back at the track. Re-bled the system and it worked fine for a couple weeks and then reoccurred. Replaced the slave cylinder and no problems since. BTW, if you decide to replace the master cylinder as well, you should consider switching to the GT3 master cylinder which will give you a firmer brake pedal (probably not a big deal unless you do DE's). At Pelican parts you can get the OEM equivalent (I believe it was made by TRW) reasonably.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old fluid that has not been serviced will damage the slave and master. Clutch life if very dependent on how the driver uses the clutch. My S has 90Kmile and it feels new even though most of the miles have been in traffic. I have a BMW with 210K miles on the original clutch, works great. Little things while using the clutch add up to make the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
First thing to try is to bleed the clutch line and slave cylinder.
They didn't try bleeding the system ?
I would have to seriously wonder what kind of Porsche shop this is. Ordering both the slave and master without at least doing that is really poor judgement.
Wish you luck with this but I don't think they know what they are doing.
Fluid flush and proper bleeding should do it. If it doesn't then you start replacing parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The clutch pedal stuck to the floor (3) times yesterday in my 2007 Cayman S. I was able to coast to a stop and pull it up by hand and continue home.
I purchased the car in January and drove it 1 1/2 hours and parked it in the garage of our 2nd home. Yesterday is only the 2nd time I've driven it since purchasing it as we have not been here. The car has 78,000 miles on it. One owner.
The clutch/brake fluid level is fine.
I have spoken with the Porsche Dealer in Johnson City, TN and they are emaiing me the service records they have for the car so I can see if the clutch has been replaced. But, their records only go back to 2014.
Unfortunately I am only in North Carolina for a week before I return to Michigan.
I have an appointment in the morning with Xpertech in Asheville, NC. The Porsche dealers in the area are booked out.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue, clutch sticking after a hard drive. Replaced the slave clutch pump and problem went away. (Actually I replaced the master pump as well while I was at it). Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts