Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've posted on here. Some of you may remember my earlier engine replacement...

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-competition/68652-track-trouble.html

Well I've moved on since then...literally, up to Canada and just drive the car in the summer now. I've only put about 10,000 miles on the new engine (60,000 miles on the rest of the car) but the clutch was on it's last legs.

I let a friend take her for a spin while I was out of town and when I got back it was slipping in every gear. Lots of chatter pulling away from a stop and at any RPM, in any gear, I could step on the accelerator and the clutch would slip.

So I decided to drop the transmission and take a look at the damage, seems like it may have been partially related to the throw out bearing (seemed to stick on the guide tube slightly on return if it gets cocked at all) and the clutch disc was worn out (I'll put some pics of that in the next post).

This is my first time replacing the clutch and I'm looking for some advice:

Slave cylinder
- Appears to have a couple of spots where fluid was leaking out (see black stripes), but didn't notice anything in the boot or the bell housing
- Also appears to have a white o-ring that's extruded on the left side of the photo
- Based on the findings I'm planning to replace it, but just wondering if anyone has seen this before and any tips.

View attachment 165161 View attachment 165137

Flywheel
- I'm currently offshore and haven't removed the flywheel yet
- Noticed quite a bit of corrosion around to circumference, see photos
- Black debris beside the IMS bolt at the bottom of the flywheel
- Heat spots on the friction surface seem fine according to LuK guidelines
- Not cracks/scoring, feels smooth to the touch. There are a couple of marks you may see near the perimeter where I used a prybar to remove the pressure plate, these are cosmetic.
- There's some movement of the secondary flywheel, but I have yet to measure it

Based on the photos and info above, assuming the secondary flywheel movement is within spec, what do you guys think about reusing it? Anything blatant standing out as an issue?

View attachment 165121 View attachment 165129 View attachment 165145

Other work
- Based on the engine having 10,000 miles on it and the transmission having 60,000, what other work would be recommended to perform?
- Transmission oil change and input shaft seal replacement?
- AOS replacement? I'm not sure if that was done with the new engine or not...and I did notice some oil/grease on the air intake
- Anything else?

Thanks for any support.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Replace the flywheel while you're in there. The dual mass flywheels do fail, and when they do you will be pulling the transmission again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures of clutch disc attached. Seems like the friction pads were pretty much completely gone. Not down to the rivets, but it seems like it was essentially worn out causing the slipping. Does that look about right to you guys?

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Bicycle tire
Auto part Wheel Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Auto part

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, seems like time for new clutch. And while you are there, if I was you I would replace everything. The job is pretty involved and you will spend some money but this is done once every 7- 10 years. Peace of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Definitely replace the flywheel, don't be penny wise....
If you track the car, consider a single mass flywheel. They are alot less money, more durable, better performance, etc.
The dual mass flywheel is for people that can't drive a MT properly. Also, do the clutch switch defeat mod. That switch is also for people that can't drive a MT.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely replace the flywheel, don't be penny wise....
If you track the car, consider a single mass flywheel. They are alot less money, more durable, better performance, etc.
The dual mass flywheel is for people that can't drive a MT properly. Also, do the clutch switch defeat mod. That switch is also for people that can't drive a MT.
Very interesting! Haven't thought about that. Could you elaborate a little bit more on single vs. dual mass flywheel? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.