Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '09 I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor and then some in order for the safety switch to engage and for the vehicle to start. It seems as though you should not have to push so hard on the clutch pedal before the starter engages. Almost everytime I attempt to start the car it fails on the first atttempt and require a bit more push on the pedal before it engages. Anyone else have this issue? Is the switch adjustable?

·
Registered
245 Posts
That sounds like a problem with the switch, just as you thought. I've been driving mine daily for 8 months and haven't encountered any problems starting. That said, I think I might have a similar switch problem with my brake, as very casual brake pressure isn't enough to turn the brake light on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Search "start up clutch" there is a whole tread on in. I have the same problem. The display keeps saying push clutch in. It slowly got worse until there were times when I needed to try 6-7x before the car would start. I took it in for replacement but they said it just needed to be "adjusted". They did something to it and it worked great for a few weeks but slowly its happening again. I'm trying to wait until my first service in august to have them fix it so I don't have to drop my car off again.:(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search "start up clutch" there is a whole tread on in. I have the same problem. The display keeps saying push clutch in. It slowly got worse until there were times when I needed to try 6-7x before the car would start. I took it in for replacement but they said it just needed to be "adjusted". They did something to it and it worked great for a few weeks but slowly its happening again. I'm trying to wait until my first service in august to have them fix it so I don't have to drop my car off again.:(
Mine seems to have gotten progressively worse. I don't recall it being a problem when I initially bought the car a few months ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2008 Gen 1 Cayman S. It has become a second nature to step the clutch all the way to the floor before I start the engine. The car always starts the first time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay--I found the thread. If I'm reading correctly, sounds like they are replacing the switches with the same version. I hope this does not mean going through this routine every 2k miles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 2008 Gen 1 Cayman S. It has become a second nature to step the clutch all the way to the floor before I start the engine. The car always starts the first time.
It's not just that... Trust me by the 6th-7th try the pedal is through the floor and it still takes a few attempts before it starts. The switch is just defective.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my '09 I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor and then some in order for the safety switch to engage and for the vehicle to start. It seems as though you should not have to push so hard on the clutch pedal before the starter engages. Almost everytime I attempt to start the car it fails on the first atttempt and require a bit more push on the pedal before it engages. Anyone else have this issue? Is the switch adjustable?
I've had this happen to my Boxster S. Sounds like you need the safety switch replaced - you should not need to press the clutch that hard. Once replaced, it will work fine; at least temporarily. I've had my safety switch replaced 3 times in 2 years; twice in the last 6 months. During this last replacement (10 days ago), the Porsche dealer told me a batch of switches were apparently defective, and that my first 2 switches were from the defective batch. Hopefully, this 3rd replacement will work. At the dealer, the parts come with a 1 year warranty, so I've been fortunate that I have not had to pay for the last 2 switches. Fortunately, the first one wasn't too terribly expensive.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 08 Cayman had the same issue. The dealer asked if the floor matt was in the way. I politely said I was not an idiot and to kindly replace the interlock switch. Problem solved although I think the new one is starting to go as well. Just today I had a bit of hesitation when starting with my foot in the usual position, but an extra mash into the floor got it to go. Total of 23K on the car.

·
Registered
625 Posts
After having it adjusted the first time they replaced it at my one year service. It was embarassing when giving people rides in my nice new PORSCHE that couldn't start:eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.