Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! First time poster; long time lurker. I'm a moderator over on VWVortex, and have been a big VW enthusiast going on more than a decade. I'll post full introductions later on in the right place!

Anyway...I recently picked up a 981 Cayman S, and have been chomping at the bit to start doing some things to it, and a tune is one of them. There isn't a dedicated thread yet for the Cobb AP discussion (as far as I've found), so I figured to create one to house any discussions leading up to their official release.

Read over in the TPC Turbo thread about the Cobb AP tuning, and so I decided to reached. I got a reply, and was told it was alright to post, so i figured it was time to start my first thread haha:

We are indeed planning to release 981 Cayman Accessport support, which will include OTS maps for stock vehicles, in the future. However, it's much too early in the development stage (TPC got a bit excited!) for us to release when it will be available or any official power gains, etc. Best guess right now is we're hoping to have it out by November of this year but nothing firm on that date yet. Feel free to check in with us in a few months though and hopefully we'll have some more info for you.
Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like business as usual. More waiting. At least it seems that the encryption is no longer the holdup. Nows its just a matter of developing the tune files.
Im pretty sure softronic said a tune release was imminent from them the other week.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Hi guys! First time poster; long time lurker. I'm a moderator over on VWVortex, and have been a big VW enthusiast going on more than a decade. I'll post full introductions later on in the right place!

Anyway...I recently picked up a 981 Cayman S, and have been chomping at the bit to start doing some things to it, and a tune is one of them. There isn't a dedicated thread yet for the Cobb AP discussion (as far as I've found), so I figured to create one to house any discussions leading up to their official release.

Read over in the TPC Turbo thread about the Cobb AP tuning, and so I decided to reached. I got a reply, and was told it was alright to post, so i figured it was time to start my first thread haha:

Cheers,
Danny
Welcome Danny, great way to start off over here!

It will be interesting to find out what Cobb is able to do for these cars...

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Hi guys! First time poster; long time lurker.
Welcome

Giving that the 1201 DMCA violation ruling, class 21 and 22, concerning automotive ECUs, is due the end of October, do you think the timing of that release is related in anyway? It would seem to make sense that if the exemption is not granted in October, to announce it in November avoids the issue of having to remove it from the marketplace.

See DMCA Exemptions to the Prohibition on Circumvention - The IT Law Wiki for the timing of previous ruling.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Personally I doubt the ruling comes into play. They are still releasing new tunes for various models all the time.

·
Vendor
1,023 Posts
Sounds like business as usual. More waiting. At least it seems that the encryption is no longer the holdup. Nows its just a matter of developing the tune files.
Im pretty sure softronic said a tune release was imminent from them the other week.
Yes you are correct and send me a PM as you will be one of the first users on Planet9 for a true complete flash....

Best Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If Softronic includes the features that they included on 987s, I am in!

My car does NOT have S+ / Sport Chrono, and I like that enabled when I press the Sport button, along with an option to avoid check engine light when running cat-less, and of course a nice power bump!

Tomasz

P.S. How far out are we on the Macan series?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like Softronic or COBB Tuning will have a product available before end of year. As a previous COBB customer with my '13 WRX I loved the extra performance my tuner was able to dial in with the COBB AccessPort and just a downpipe swap. I know the NA 981 won't give those types of gains, but if they can just bring my CS up a little over the GTS factory numbers with just software I'm in.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Looks like Softronic or COBB Tuning will have a product available before end of year. As a previous COBB customer with my '13 WRX I loved the extra performance my tuner was able to dial in with the COBB AccessPort and just a downpipe swap. I know the NA 981 won't give those types of gains, but if they can just bring my CS up a little over the GTS factory numbers with just software I'm in.
What year of GTS do you have, and what gains do you expect? I guess that the warranty is not an issue to you?

Reactions: mcomet

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think I'll keep my Accessport from my MINI rather than sell it, and see if Cobb offer something for a 2014 Boxster Base. Maybe they can use the MINI Accessport and reload Porsche maps on it. I thought it made a world of difference for my MINI S, but that had a turbo.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might be able to trade in your current AccessPort, they can't change it for a different car. You should just sell it on the Mini forum for the best price. I was able to resell mine for on 30% less than new price.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You might be able to trade in your current AccessPort, they can't change it for a different car. You should just sell it on the Mini forum for the best price. I was able to resell mine for on 30% less than new price.
Delnari -Just what I was looking for. I'll sell it and put it in the bank for new goodies.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi, I know that many of you are coming from other marques. The flash to get for Cayman/Boxster is Softronic. Or, at least was.

Traditionally it ships with Durametric software that allows you a number of service functions, code resets, parameter monitoring, and CPU readout. You get both - an exact copy of your ECU and the tunes file that you can write to your ECU over and over with no detection - software resets the flash counters. (Limits of rewriting an EPROM apply.) Furthermore, on Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars they were able to unlock factory options that your car did not have - Sport Chrono, etc. Theoretically with the flash they could enable SC, so if you don't have it your car is ALWAYS in Sport and when you press Sport button you get Sport+. Finally, they previously would allow you to carry the flash from a car to a car - a credit.

I know everyone will ask, well how good their tuning was - how much more power? IMHO all reputable tuners are within 10-20% of each other, and considering that a tune here will give us, maybe 20 HP if you are optimistic? So 20, or 24... I don't care.

I respect COBB, but I just do not believe that they will go to the lengths that Softronic will go understand our ECUs and options. If I am wrong, I am happy to be the first one to buy a COBB setup. But for now I am pestering Scott for a Softronic option for our cars.

Tomasz

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
Hi, I know that many of you are coming from other marques. The flash to get for Cayman/Boxster is Softronic. Or, at least was.

Traditionally it ships with Durametric software that allows you a number of service functions, code resets, parameter monitoring, and CPU readout. You get both - an exact copy of your ECU and the tunes file that you can write to your ECU over and over with no detection - software resets the flash counters. (Limits of rewriting an EPROM apply.) Furthermore, on Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars they were able to unlock factory options that your car did not have - Sport Chrono, etc. Theoretically with the flash they could enable SC, so if you don't have it your car is ALWAYS in Sport and when you press Sport button you get Sport+. Finally, they previously would allow you to carry the flash from a car to a car - a credit.

I know everyone will ask, well how good their tuning was - how much more power? IMHO all reputable tuners are within 10-20% of each other, and considering that a tune here will give us, maybe 20 HP if you are optimistic? So 20, or 24... I don't care.

I respect COBB, but I just do not believe that they will go to the lengths that Softronic will go understand our ECUs and options. If I am wrong, I am happy to be the first one to buy a COBB setup. But for now I am pestering Scott for a Softronic option for our cars.

Tomasz
Vendor comparison seems pointless since no one offers an OBD tune for the 981. Release has been "2 weeks out" for 2 years and counting. If you're willing to part with $3000+ you can get the TPC kit with its black box or the ECU swap from BGB. IMO the first vendor to release a dyno-proven OBD tune for $1500 or less will be the big winner.

·
Vendor
188 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
When do we start the list for the early adopter's group buy? :dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts