Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a Cobb OTS "Stage 2" tune for the 987.2 yet? Most of my searches point back to the 981 tune or posts of "coming soon". I'm about to pull the trigger on exhaust and IPD/TB and the OTS tune would be nice to throw in at the same time. I imagine there has to be one out there, especially since it's such a common mod combo, but not seeing any such map on the Cobb site/my Accessport. It'd be a lot easier than scheduling dedicated dyno tuning.

Little help? Cobb?

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,721 Posts
The Cobb Access Port will work on the 987.2 S model 3.4 DFI engine only, FYI. The 987.2 non-S model 2.9 non-DFI engine uses the "old style" 987.1 ECU [Bosch, IIRC].

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Cobb Access Port will work on the 987.2 S model 3.4 DFI engine only, FYI. The 987.2 non-S model 2.9 non-DFI engine uses the "old style" 987.1 ECU [Bosch, IIRC].
Not an issue, since I have an S. I'm already running the Stage 1 93oct tune, but am about to jump into headers/plenum territory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not an issue, since I have an S. I'm already running the Stage 1 93oct tune, but am about to jump into headers/plenum territory.
Interesting. Getting ready to plunge into EVOMSit Stage 2 for my '10 BS w/ stock headers but Milltek and BMC filter. FWIW, at a recent Porsche Experience event at Summit Point, I met a long-time Porsche mechanic who has two 2010 (?) 911's, one w/ the IPD plenum, and one w/out. He insists the seat-of-the-pants feel in the non-IPD is "quicker" on the street. He hasn't done any real scientific analysis yet, but feels that the IPD car lost some low-end oomph.

For now, I'm going to go w/ the Stage 2 EVOMSit and see how that feels. My car is 100% street. I'm intrigued by the IPD + TB, but happy to not spend the extra $ until I hear more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, a little delay over the holidays, but finally got the EVOMSit tune file uploaded just now (Stage 2; 93 octane, Milltek exhaust & BMC filter) and, after an initial warm up and test drive around a country road, here are my initial seat-of-the-pants thoughts:
  1. No issues flashing; the mod the easiest thing I've ever done since adding washer fluid or oil...
  2. No CEL post-mortems;
  3. Much crisper throttle response than stock--more akin to my '70 T w/ Webers;
  4. VERY eager throughout the rev range;
  5. Hair of sluggishness off the line is GONE--pulls like a bigger engine from 1000 on up to redline;
  6. A bit more volume from the Milltek? Had the top down, so it may have just been that, but sounds GREAT! (Definitely recommend the Milltek for no drone motoring)
Will definitely require some more study and testing behind the wheel, LOL. Thanks to Sam and crew at Evolution Motorsports! Best, most satisfying $900 spent on any P-car, ever, and that includes the $20k I spent turning my '72 E into a 2.7 RS+ MFI monster--and now I have an OBDII diagnostic tool ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone seen a Cobb OTS "Stage 2" tune for the 987.2 yet? Most of my searches point back to the 981 tune or posts of "coming soon". I'm about to pull the trigger on exhaust and IPD/TB and the OTS tune would be nice to throw in at the same time. I imagine there has to be one out there, especially since it's such a common mod combo, but not seeing any such map on the Cobb site/my Accessport. It'd be a lot easier than scheduling dedicated dyno tuning.

Little help? Cobb?
When I got my Cobb (for a 2010 BS) I paid $250 or so more for a tune. I was adding headers, IPD, etc. at the time so my speed shop did all the work. As I recall, they drove it with the Cobb attached for data logging and performed several scenarios (hard accel, hard braking, medium accel etc etc). Then they pulled the info off the Cobb and sent it with spec info on the hardware updates (headers, IPD, etc) to Cobb. Cobb used that info to prepare a new ECU map; sent it back to my speed shop, and then they loaded it into the ECU. The info Cobb provided said this method is easy but maybe not quite as good as a dyno tune. I cannot find a dyno in the KC, MO area which can do a proper reading on a 2010 BS, so this was my best option.

From what my ears and my butt dyno say, it's a bargain.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Joe Henley

·
Registered
299 Posts
He insists the seat-of-the-pants feel in the non-IPD is "quicker" on the street. He hasn't done any real scientific analysis yet, but feels that the IPD car lost some low-end oomph.
I spoke to a couple of parties who carry the IPD and they actually said what you mentioned. More than anything, you'll lose power at the low end. Now this was in isolation. I think to benefit most from IPD, what I read is you have to work the entire exhaust and air intake and tie all together with a tune. Even then, I think the views on IPD are still mixed.

Seems the general consensus for NAs is to work on headers to reduce or remove cats, depending on your car, work on the mufflers and then get a tune for most power and even then it won't be that much and the returns per dollar will be very little and expensive relatively to a forced induction engine. I'm new to all this but thats what I'm summarizing so far.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I test components on our dyno all the time that people swear are better "seat of the pants" and they make the same or less power and accelerate slower on our dyno...
Is this your finding of the IPD as well?

Have you tested the (Carnewal) 200 cell cats on their own ie without muffler change?

·
Registered
343 Posts
We work on a lot of BWM and Subarus as well as Porsches and I just meant that in a general way. I find people are very attached to mods they pay for and feel power that may or may not actually be there.

We haven't tested a Carnewal system. But we'd be happy to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thak
We work on a lot of BWM and Subarus as well as Porsches and I just meant that in a general way. I find people are very attached to mods they pay for and feel power that may or may not actually be there.

We haven't tested a Carnewal system. But we'd be happy to.
Thanks for the honesty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts