Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my BMW I can use software to change various bits of stuff - is this feasible on the 981?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Durametric cable and software will allow you to make changes to certain systems. What are you looking to do? Check out their website http://www.durametric.com to determine if the Enthusiast version will work for you or if you need to get the Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
From the sound of what you're asking you'd need the Durametric pro cable to code. The enthusiast lets you turn off service minders, read fault codes etc. I don't know how much of this is available on the 981. Do spend some time on the website or talking to them as the difference in price is not trivial.

AFAIK there isn't an equivalent to dropping $20 for a BMW eNet cable and E-Sys. Another Porsche tax.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think Durametric is your best bet but the functions are still limited. The BMW system just sucked and I never had the urge to dive deep into it because it was so bad. The best system I've come across for something like this is the VAG-COM for Audi/VW. Its so user friendly. Not sure why there aren't similar items for all makes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So will this let me turn on stuff that "isn't there" like rev matching and so on... BMW's can do quite a large number of options that are just "turned off" for example?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do miss all the feature coding was able to do on my M235i. Would be nice to have features like tire Temps on the display plus other cool items.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Durametric Pro is useless for coding anything on the 981. Then again it's extremely limited on 997.2 as well. There is no equivalent to NCSExpert, Ediabis, Rheingold, etc. available for Porsche as there is for BMW.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Woah. Getting a specific list of capabilities is a bit disillusioning. That is rather pitiful.

I wonder whether Porsche makes better software that is harder to debug or whether there is a lot less interest than in the BMW tools.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Someone leaked BMW Toolset, Rheingold and the accompanying dataen/Pszdata files - they are all BMW factory developer tools. That's why they are so good.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I wonder whether Porsche makes better software that is harder to debug or whether there is a lot less interest than in the BMW tools.
Porsche AG is a tiny niche company. BMW is a massive entity. If you want to to do what it sounds like, you need to lease PIWIS. $18K will do it. Google it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Porsche AG is a tiny niche company. BMW is a massive entity. If you want to to do what it sounds like, you need to lease PIWIS. $18K will do it. Google it.
Porsche is VAG. The worlds largest car producer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only a matter of time I would suggest...... VAG are keen on sharing components.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts