Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my '06 CS (29k miles) the other day (35 deg and sunny) and a few seconds into warm-up the engine-warning indicator showed up. Seemed like it was running just fine, but as long as I had some time and was going to be in the area, I drove to the dealer and they took it in right away to have a look.
Turns out #1 & #6 were misfiring due to cracked coils! I was told it's a VERY common problem and they recently had two Boxsters in for the same thing!
They also said Porsche will only warranty/replace an actual failed coil (makes sense), so they're ordering/replacing only those 2 right now. They said to expect the other 4 to go out on me at any time. The replacement coils do have a different P/N, so I'm assuming new config/upgraded part.
My warranty is up mid-July, so I better do a bunch of cold starts on this thing to induce the cracking so I don't have to write any checks with a lot of zeros!! UUGGHH!! :eek:

tp

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
My daughter's 2004 A4 1.8T had a recall on failing coils, but the recall letter said don't contact them unless there is a problem. They would get to those whose cars were OK as possible. Shortly thereafter, there was a problem and one coil had failed; all four were replaced. This was well out of warranty, too. I wonder why this is a recall for Audi but not for Porsche?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The individual coils are probably the same Bosch coils which were recalled on my 2004 BMW Z4 two years ago. The internal insulation broke down on an earlier version of the coils, but the newer ones seem to fix the problem. My dealer replaced all six and the car ran much better afterward. Probably the newer Bosch coils are installed on most European models from 2007+.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nahe5; The P/N is clearly marked on the front of the coil, you don't have to remove it to read it
K...thx....but I really have no need for the numbers at the moment, other than curiosity I guess, eh?.
On top of that, the numbers are on the coils, which are in the engine bay, which is under the engine cover, which is in the car, which is under a car-cover, which is under 4 inches of fairly fresh snow, ice, and freezing rain.
I guess the coil numbers really aren't too important to me at the moment....hahahahahahahaha! :hilarious:
I parked it 2 days ago after getting home from the dealer with that diagnosis, knowing the Wx was going to turn on me!
Thx again for the info....I'll file it for future reference.

tp

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sorry I know this is a old thread but my 08 Cayman with 25k miles just had a coil pack failure yesterday. The engine was misifiring so bad I couldnt get the car above 45mph. Dropped it off at Porsche last night not knowing what was going on and they called me at lunch informing me it was the coils and would be back on the road tomorow once the parts came in. I guess this is a common thing ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry I know this is a old thread but my 08 Cayman with 25k miles just had a coil pack failure yesterday. The engine was misifiring so bad I couldnt get the car above 45mph. Dropped it off at Porsche last night not knowing what was going on and they called me at lunch informing me it was the coils and would be back on the road tomorow once the parts came in. I guess this is a common thing ?
Or not. I've never replaced a coil on any of my Porsches (02 Boxster, 03 Turbo).

But I do know some owners in some areas (UK seems quite the coil H*ll) seem to have coil problems like crazy.

Sincerely,

Rockster.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sounds like good preventative maintenance to me. How much is a set of 6 coils anyway ?
I need to do the plugs @5 years (yet not even 40K miles), might as well do it all...

Edit: lazy ba$tard me... $39.50 each + 10$ per plug, so $300 with shipping I guess... Absolutely worth it !

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like good preventative maintenance to me. How much is a set of 6 coils anyway ?
I need to do the plugs @5 years (yet not even 40K miles), might as well do it all...

Edit: lazy ba$tard me... $39.50 each + 10$ per plug, so $300 with shipping I guess... Absolutely worth it !
Up to you but if I had replaced the coils every 40K miles on my Boxster I would have spent nearly $2000 (on parts alone and I'm not sure how much more on labor) that I would not have needed to spend based on the fact the original coils are working just fine.

The coils are not that hard to address when (if) they act up. A minor inconvience to address when the time comes.

Sincerely,

Rockster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.