Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 987 or 981. Test drove the 981 and all is good. However since the 987's can now be had for $20k to $25k I was tempted and did my first 987 test drive over the weekend. The weather here in Chicago was very cold and so I had to roll up both windows during the test drive. Lo behold that annoying cabin boom started from the trunk area. The salesman said that was normal in these cars but is a deal breaker for me. I then googled and found various threads discussing this issue but there is no clear consensus on what the permanent fix is or some detailed diy etc. Some have tightened some studs on trunk clamps, some have loosened them , some talk about resonance padding and what not. I understand this does not affect all 987's but for those of you that have known this and solved it please chime in so I can decide whether to keep looking for another 987 or just skip and go 981.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Nothing but good noises came from my 2006 Cayman S, and I drove it thru the VT winter. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to look at another 987.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
I've had 987s and 981s with wheel sizes from 17" to 20". I have never experienced "cabin boom" . . . just good engine sounds. You might have to get used to the sound of a mid-engine hardtop but that shouldn't take too long. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
these cars are sensitive to the cabin boom esp. if an aftermarket exhaust and air filter is fitted.

that being said, these cars are a cacophony of sounds..... engine, gearbox, etc.
but when you wind her up...... eargasm....

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sounds like good-old "trunk thunk". There are several possible causes so no one can diagnose it for sure/ All are fixable with a little effort. No big deal. Mine is solid as a rock after adjustment.
However, I've never heard a "boom" noise. Usually a creak or rattle going over road undulations. So it might be caused by something else. Like a loose muffler hanger or something else that is loose. I would not buy that car without a careful PPI.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Do you have PASM ? Also what size wheels ? Apparently this affects only some 987's with no pasm and 19" or 20" wheels..
Stock suspension (no PASM), 18" wheels.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Mine is stock with 19" wheels, no PSAM and no boom, ever. The trunk clunk when going over bumps is a know issue and easily fixable and after market exhaust systems very often will "drone" at certain rpm ranges but actually I'm not familar with 987s having a "boom" problem.:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.