Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2007 2.7 Cayman and live in Colorado. I was thinking about going the Softronic flash and plenum route, but have read some recent postings that unless you add a free flowing exhaust (like Borla or Remus), it won't produce much of a gain in horsepower. I would like to add an aftermarket exhaust system, but we have annual emissions checks required and I'm worried it won't pass if I add this system.

So I'm curious if any of my fellow Porsche owners in the Denver metro/regional area have added a Borla or Remus system and been able to pass emissions. Reading the Cali postings, they seem to indicate that you have to get the exhaust really warmed up before getting tested, but I don't want to risk not passing and have to put the original system back on.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've got a 2007 2.7 Cayman and live in Colorado. I was thinking about going the Softronic flash and plenum route, but have read some recent postings that unless you add a free flowing exhaust (like Borla or Remus), it won't produce much of a gain in horsepower. I would like to add an aftermarket exhaust system, but we have annual emissions checks required and I'm worried it won't pass if I add this system.

So I'm curious if any of my fellow Porsche owners in the Denver metro/regional area have added a Borla or Remus system and been able to pass emissions. Reading the Cali postings, they seem to indicate that you have to get the exhaust really warmed up before getting tested, but I don't want to risk not passing and have to put the original system back on.

Thanks in advance.
Colorado emissions is pretty easy to pass. The only problem would be if you removed your Catalytic converter in favor of a test pipe. If you have a test pipe, wait until after your test to put it on then remove it 2 years later to be tested with the original Cat in place. Repeat.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
My '06 Boxster S with AWE exhaust passed, no problem. But my '78 SC with SSIs and B & M exhaust failed on my first try. Then Eurosport LTD got it to pass. Then I got my classic car plates, and that was that.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I also don't believe you need an emissions test until after the fourth year, which would still be over a year away for your 07. Probably worth confirming that with the state. I'd also be really surprised if you had any trouble at all. My understanding is that with a modern engine and a cat in place, cars just pass.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I also don't believe you need an emissions test until after the fourth year.
I think the 4-yr rule is only applicable when you first buy a car that is less than 4 years old, you don't need a test. But, if you are the original owner you still need a test every 2 years (to keep people from modifying their cars).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for this information. I guess my only concern is when I reviewed the installation steps for the Borla cat-back system (and read ads from various suppliers), they indicate that it is not street legal, and I didn't know if that is because of the noise or emissions.

Don't tell me there are people out there buying this product and breaking the law by driving it on the street!:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I think the 4-yr rule is only applicable when you first buy a car that is less than 4 years old, you don't need a test. But, if you are the original owner you still need a test every 2 years (to keep people from modifying their cars).
That could be right, I haven't checked. My personal situation is that I live in the Denver suburbs and the drive-by vans are everywhere, so I haven't had to do a test in years and years. Of course, I haven't modded either....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My how time flies! I first posted this thread in December of 2009. Today I went in for my first Colorado emissions test. For my 2007 2.7 Cayman I did add the Softronics plenum, mapping change, and Agency Power exhaust. No headers added, so I still have the cats. Here are the results:

Test Readings Limits Results
HC GPM 0.0755 1.2000 Pass
CO GPM 4.1552 15.000 Pass
CO2 GPM 382.6358 Not Listed Blank
NO% GPM 0.2320 1.5000 Pass
Catalytics Converter Pass
Air Injection System Pass
Oxygen Sensor Pass
CEL Pass

My check engine light stayed on after the test, and the inspector said that since it is a rear wheel drive and the front tires did not turn during the test, this light would be on for a short time. I drove it home and it's still on. Hope it goes away soon.

I hope this helps any fellow Coloradoan who's thinking about the Softronics mod or APE exhaust. Looks like it's no problem.
Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts