Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please nudge this this somewhere else if mis-posted, I couldn't find a more pertinent place.
I'm mulling over a 718 GTS order now, and wonder what general comments seasoned folks would have on colour choices (exterior, then maybe interior) driven by the black wheels and black exterior trims. Of colour preference in general is personal, but perhaps there are some glaring errors to avoid.

Prior to seeing the black exterior trims (which I probably should have expected) I had liked GT silver with full leather mixed red/black. Interior colour would be driven more by exterior than by GTS trimming, so...
do the black trims and wheels go better with a darker exterior colour?

Has anyone posted 981 GTS pictures in these colours and did they also have the standard "GTS black" trimming?

Cheers from Geneva, CH

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
My last 2 Porsche car purchases had white exteriors, and the one before those was Speed Yellow. Personally I really liked the high contrast between the white paint and the black trim/accents, so I spec'd my next 718 GTS with Carrara White Metallic exterior - I guess I’m a sucker for white cars. A black interior goes nicely with a white exterior as well.

I've seen a few configurations over the years with colors that clash, but not too often. I think most people tend to be pretty reasonable/sensible when configuring such a high dollar item. In the end, just go with your gut and spec out a configuration that appeals to you - after all, you are the one who has to look at and drive the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can tell you how I came to my color choices. I google'd for pictures and initially narrowed it down to 5 colors (red, black, silver, gray, blue). I then started checking out exterior/wheel color combos which narrowed the choice down even further to gray and blue. Finally I went to a bunch of dealers and looked at different inventory and finally narrowed my choice down to midnight blue exterior and satin wheels. The only final decision was interior and for me that was most likely going to be black for cost as well as aesthetic preferences. I'm still toying with burgundy inserts but chances are I won't just because of cost.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
White and GT Silver (not Rhodium as it has blue undertones) are "chameleon" colors that go with pretty much any wheel or interior selection. My choice would be GT Silver with matte black wheels and silver contrasting stitching.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I agree with Interpol that the black accents look best with a lighter exterior paints, the contrast makes them stand out. I love the way my 981 GTS looks in white. But I also wanted a car that I could daily drive and not be a slave to detailing: black and dark blue out. And I because of the way I drive on the interstate, I didn't want to call even more attention to myself: red, sapphire blue and yellow out. This time around I am going with GT silver, probably even easier to keep clean than white, a classic Porsche color, and also looks good with the dark accents (and black wheels will hide the brake dust). GT silver would good with the red-black interior as you mention, but I want to keep it simple, adding red seat belts to black leather interior for some pop. Play around with the configurator, check out as many online pictures as you can, then go with what you like--and can live with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Interpol, Mustang, Norther
Great points: I took a trip to the dealer and agree that Rhodium is too blue for me. The GT with black wheels works well (any darker and it is too "battleship-like" for me). The bicolour black/red was interesting: "bordeaux" which is a little darker than the straight red and less glaring - I liked it a lot and the red stitching on black (comes automatically) is quite elegant.
Final configuration is: manual, GT silver, all leather bicolour bordeaux/black, alcantara suppression (except the headliner), park assistance f&r, heated seats (it's Switzerland!), retracting mirrors, speed limit recognition. Negotiated just under 5% off, March/April delivery.
So now, we wait...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Interpol, Mustang, Norther
Great points: I took a trip to the dealer and agree that Rhodium is too blue for me. The GT with black wheels works well (any darker and it is too "battleship-like" for me). The bicolour black/red was interesting: "bordeaux" which is a little darker than the straight red and less glaring - I liked it a lot and the red stitching on black (comes automatically) is quite elegant.
Final configuration is: manual, GT silver, all leather bicolour bordeaux/black, alcantara suppression (except the headliner), park assistance f&r, heated seats (it's Switzerland!), retracting mirrors, speed limit recognition. Negotiated just under 5% off, March/April delivery.
So now, we wait...
That color combo (GT Silver / black / bordeaux) is extremely popular - just check the delivery thread recently (and even my own car!).

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is of course is a very personal question. I'm not color blind but I have a gray S4, a gray Porsche, and a silver gray S2000. All have silver aluminum wheels. Maybe I'm stuck, but I love them all. To answer your question here is another question. Do you want the black trim to stand out or just accent? It will stand out if you pick a lighter paint like silver, white, or yellow. It will blend and "accent" if you pick a darker color like gray, red, or dark blue. Simple as that, what do YOU like. As for dark wheels, especially black, personally I really don't like them. Yes they have all the advantages of hiding brake dust but for me they do nothing to enhance the look of the car. It's been years now since they came into vogue and I have not changed my mind.

·
Registered
736 Posts
IMHO the GTS really responds well to either strong tones e.g. white and black or strong colours Racing Yellow, Guards red or Carmine red. These colours contrast well with the many dark to black highlights on the car. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this post: I just ordered a boxster GTS in GT silver metallic and I just could not wrap my head around the black rims. I ended up configuring the silver/titanium wheels and it's nice to know I'm not completely alone in this opinion. I'll be sure to post pics when she arrives!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have ordered the Cayman GTS in agate grey with the GTS interior pack with carmine red.

I was torn between the agate grey and GT Silver for quite a while. Loved them both.

They both work particularly well with the GTS interior pack with the red stiching.

I decided on the agate after going to the OPC and seeing both colours in the flesh. I still loved them both but the agate won in the end. It looked better in the flesh than I anticipated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.