Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,
so i saw that k-man made a brief mention that it is possible to combine a motor drive cover with the hip cover. i've got the hip cover - and would love to try out putting a motor-drive cover in underneath it.

my goal is two fold:

1. sound - it should cut the overall noise level above 3K rpm, which i'd like to try. love my sound but would prefer the same sound with all the details but a little quieter for conversations on the phone / a passenger.

2. aesthetic - i think the combo could look even better as the motordrive cover would surround the engine bay's edge and give it a more finished look. couple that with the blackout on the hip cover above and this could be a further improvement.

has anyone done this? comments/ thoughts?

-aw1.

PS: if anyone has a motor drive cover for sale i'd be interested. not sure if tess' motordrive website actually sells this cover still (it's listed, but there's all this old traffic here on the board about a new 20 unit batch 2, and it seems it may never have been made available, right/wrong?)

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
I don't think the 2nd batch was ever made but check with Tess about what he has or doesn't have. As far as combining the only issue I see is that the thickness of the Motordrive cover would make the risers stick the HIP cover up a little bit, but you could probably cut those risers down the same amount to match. Someone on this site was going to do that, I don't remember who it was though...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thx k-man, got an inquiry into tess to find out, will report back here what i find.

cutting the hip stand-offs would be trivial, hip could probably supply an extra set for this purpose if needed so that the original standoffs are available if needed.

did you actually combine the two covers once (sans cutting the standoffs?)

do you know how much space there is between the top of the plenum/intake manifold/shifter cables and the underside of the motordrive cover? (i've got my plenum clamp taking up an extra 3/8" but it is lower than the top of the shift cables when they are unrestrained).

btw, thanks for running a great site. i hope to write and post an article on my new fully (inside the tach) integrated boost gauge some time when i have a little time!

-aw1.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok, given the ravenous interest in this obscure topic ;), i figured i measure the distance between the stock aluminium cover and the hip cover.

k-man says that the motordrive cover is at most 1/8" thicker/higher than the aluminium cover and so given my measurement (see attached pic - the pink blobs are playdo that's sitting atop the aluminium cover and once squeezed in place by hip cover provided the measurement). the result says that it *should* be possible to combine the two.

now the next problem is that i notice that the big red tpc turbo intake boost hose - or is it the red vapor return hose? - running to the plenum is likely rubbing on the underside of the alu cover. can't be totally sure as i can't see thru the alu cover :).

unfortunately that would say it would rub against the motordrive cover, too.

does anyone here have the same issue with their tpc turbo (alu lid requires some force to push down and close on to the engine bay due to stuff pushing up against it from the inside...)??

i have not experienced this heretofore because the hip cover doesn't have this issue...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dunno what the tubes are on top but I can tell you for a fact that they rubbed my aluminum cover and now rub my motordrive cover. I couldn't really think of a good way to prevent them from doing that and figured that I don't see it as long as the tubes are there. Still bothers me a little bit though.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Dunno what the tubes are on top but I can tell you for a fact that they rubbed my aluminum cover and now rub my motordrive cover. I couldn't really think of a good way to prevent them from doing that and figured that I don't see it as long as the tubes are there. Still bothers me a little bit though.
Those are your shifter cables for the transmission and yes they will rub on the original aluminum cover as well as the motordrive cover and sometimes even on the strutking or hip design covers as well. I wish Porsche had routed them some other way, but I understand why they didn't, although to be honest there is no reason why it couldn't be converted to an electrical system much like the throttle is, there is no throttle cable anymore, other than perhaps fear that if it quit working you might not be able to shift and that would indeed be bad...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey workhurts (haha have you ever considered another job ;-) yes as k-man s says those two cables are the shifter cables. thanks for confirming that they rub the clear cover, too.

i don't think they would rub the motordrive cover in my case as these cables are held down / partially hidden by my spider clamp/motor cover plate (you can see it if you take a closer look at my profile pic/avatar).

obscuring those cables was a desired side-effect of the design of my clamp, but i can't really recommend it because it's way too costly a solution for this problem alone! :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know if Motordrive is still in business? I tried to send them an email today and got this response " INET_ATON failed - host not found (mail.motordrive.com)". I'm interested in buying one of their clear engine covers.

Ozzie

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i sent mail there a few weeks ago and did not get a reply. but tess tickle did reply to a PM after some days passed... so that could be your alternate path.

from what i can stitch together however the motordrive clear cover is not in production. tess ran a drive for a "2nd batch" some time ago and it appears that actual production run never took place. not sure why. not enough demand?

i just bought (and received) a motordrive cover from one of the early buyers who never put his cover to use. this weekend i'll be combining it with my HIP cover - first indications are that the motordrive cover will work in combination with my HIP cover (minor mods req'd). i really hope that it will get the engine sounds under control - TPC + HIP is otherwise too noise for my taste (lots of higher end frequencies such as injector clacking and other noises intruding into the cabin).

you might go to that original motordrive thread and find all the names of the early buyers. maybe one of them is ready to part with theirs?

good luck.
-aw1.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is a very important point you bring up with clear cover care because the two factory insulated cables do rub up against the OEM aluminum cover and are a problem with the clear covers even with the HIP cover. I have been meaning to show my fix for this in an article, but I'll tell you now how I fixed this issue. I basically raised the cover with metal home depot washers to compensate. This is only unfortunately after the noticeable wearing began which now has visible damage but the fix it is now preventing any more contact. To hide the factory wear on cable themselves, I've rotated to the underside showing up on the insulation to hide the wear fixing the position with a zip tie.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
alright, i finally pulled this together and here's the outcome:

re: rubbing of shifter cables on the cover - they don't rub the HIP cover in my car because my shifter cables are held down (down on to the tops of the plenum, away from the cover) by my intake manifold ("spider") clamp that takes the place of the large/long TPC hose clamps. see the pic i in my profile/avatar. i'd say that the clamp adds a very nice aesthetic touch even if you don't have a turbo (which makes it a requirement) and just have the HIP cover. the combination really improves the overall impression the motor makes. very happy with it. anyone installing a HIP cover new should do something about those shifter cables because as law says they rub and eventually dull/harm the look of the cover if left alone...

re: combining the two cover types: i was able to buy a motordrive cover from another cayman club member who never wound up using his (thanks znitud!). just finished the install. i'm happy to share the following info:

1. the motordrive cover clears my intake manifold spider clamp just fine after some minor adjustments! the shifter cables pretty much clear the motordrive cover as well due to them being held down tight.

2. i've been able to get my HIP cover installed atop the simultaneously installed motordrive cover! there's about 3/8" of clearance between the top of the motordrive cover and the underside of the hip cover. works great. all i had to do is to modify the 2 standoffs that come with the HIP cover. i had to put a chamfer on the bottom end of both standoffs (done with a lathe), back out the threaded stem at the bottom to make it a bit longer, and additionally shorten the standoffs by 1/10" to compensate for the thickness of the motordrive cover (1/8" would have been even better). works & looks great!

3. finally, i am totally stoked that the two clear covers in combination cut the higher end frequency noises - such as the injector clacking (at lower rpm, completely gone!) and the intake tract noises (at higher rpm) - reduced by ~80+ %!! so the car is MUCH nicer to ride in. still plenty of motor noises in the cabin, but more lower frequency/exhaust sound PLUS turbo "woosh" & wastegate "ppppsstttt" dominated. i love it!

best of all worlds - nice motor visible thru the covers, but more refined sound in the cabin. i'd say the noise is almost the same (a touch louder still) than the combination of the standard aluminum cover with the HIP cover (which doesn't make sense as a combination but gives you an idea of what your HIP cover would be like if you'd combine it with a motordrive cover). in addition, if i need to go on a long trip i can just pull the hip cover (2 screws) and drop the stock carpeted insulation atop the motordrive cover and be good to go with the extra space (for bags/suitcase) AND even lower noise in the interior.

:dance:

i know there's a few of you out there toying with the same idea so all i can say you can make this work - good luck with your decision!

-aw1.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
k-man,
sure thing... have some photos but they have too many reflections in them, i'll shoot some more on an overcast day and will post them....

btw - THANKS A LOT for your hints & tips on this topic, helped get this done. who knows, there may be renewed interested in the motordrive cover from those folks crazy enough to go for the double-decker :crazy:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
k-man,
sure thing... have some photos but they have too many reflections in them, i'll shoot some more on an overcast day and will post them....

btw - THANKS A LOT for your hints & tips on this topic, helped get this done. who knows, there may be renewed interested in the motordrive cover from those folks crazy enough to go for the double-decker :crazy:
I have the Motordrive cover instaled and it looks great, so I am not sure what is to be gained by a second clear cover. If I want to store things on the cover, I place the stock pad over it and stuff sits on top of the pad.

The only reason I can think of is if you haven't modified the stock pad, to serve as a surround to the Motordrive cover like I have.

Article: Modification of foam engine cover for clear engine cover - Articles

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's great to read that you've been able to install both the HIP clear engine cover and the Motordrive clear cover and that the final result was very acceptable. I ordered a HIP clear cover yesterday, I've been trying, without success, to contact Motordrive for the past 2 weeks to order their clear covers. I'm beginning to think that Motordrive no longer offers their clear cover.

Do any of our readers happen to have a Motordriver clear engine cover (in good condition - no scratches, etc>) that they'd like to sell? If so, please contact me.

Thanks,

Ozzie

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It's great to read that you've been able to install both the HIP clear engine cover and the Motordrive clear cover and that the final result was very acceptable. I ordered a HIP clear cover yesterday, I've been trying, without success, to contact Motordrive for the past 2 weeks to order their clear covers. I'm beginning to think that Motordrive no longer offers their clear cover.

Do any of our readers happen to have a Motordriver clear engine cover (in good condition - no scratches, etc>) that they'd like to sell? If so, please contact me.

Thanks,

Ozzie
Motordrive never made any covers after the first batch. AFAIK They are somewhat of a rare item.

This was the original thread http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/4339-clear-engine-cover-group-buy-orders.html

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the Motordrive cover instaled and it looks great, so I am not sure what is to be gained by a second clear cover. ....

The only reason I can think of is if you haven't modified the stock pad, to serve as a surround to the Motordrive cover like I have.]

rob,
the short answer is "noise reduction". basically the combo acts a little like an insulated window - there's an airgap between the two covers which really helps cut noise. also the HIP cover doesn't get as warm to the touch any more (but that's not really an issue anyway). finally, i like the super clean look of the HIP cover.

that's not to dimish what you've done with the motordrive cover alone - which looks really great, too!
-aw1.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ok k-man, given this impatience :) i'll just upload the pics i have, which suffer from a lot of reflections, but i guess folks can get the overall gist.

the intake spider clamp has recently been engraved with a turbo logo that was taken from the dealer's parts bin, scanned, cleaned-up in PS, scaled down to the appropriate size, then written into the clamp with a laser. the font from the logo was lifted to generate a "tpc" logo using the same lettering style such that it makes for a good match. so the car doesn't scream "stickered" when you see it drive by but when you walk up to it to get in you can see the tpc insignia (or turbo insignia if you are a passenger) thru the rear windows just so.

there's about 3/8" between top of clamp and underside of motordrive cover, and again a similar gap between the two covers.

the car is running absolutely fantastic. along with the recently installed yellow pagids and the K&W suspension the car drives totally awesome. the sound is incredible. the throttle response is super. power is "plenty". carving canyon fun quotient = incredible (especially up-hill).

how do you guys think it turned out, aesthetically?

next (and last!) step: get the cdr-30 to work; put on front splitters, + rear wing from (hopefully) delavilla, and add a set of flat black stripes. soon to be done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.