Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did several searches but couldn't really find a thread that helped me (basic consensus is smaller guys fit well, otherwise sit in one to find out). I don't have easy access to a long drive in a car with these seats. I am hoping for an allocation on the GT4. I am 6 foot 1 inch and weigh 190 pounds. I am blessed with wide hips and thus have a 35-36 inch waist. I have sat in cars where their seats pinch my hips and limit comfortable seat time to about 1 hour. I also get uncomfortable on trips if I can't reposition myself a bit by rotating my hips. I wonder if anyone has a similar waist as me and how they rate the sport buckets for comfort. Most of my trips are under 3 hours, but I would like to take longer trips in the car. I occasionally track my cayman and would prefer the sport buckets for the track, but I do not want them if they are going to be too uncomfortable for my frequent 2 to 2.5 hour trips. My CR has the regular sport seats which are ok for me comfort wise. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The latest lightweight sport buckets certified for 2015 cars and later are so new that only recent GT3 owners have taken delivery of them. In my experience bucket seats like this will be snug in the lower hips and thigh areas so body shape will affect the fit a lot.

I have a 31" waist and weight 148 lbs but I have large thighs and that made for a snug fit on the last generation GT2 bucket seats.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
My apologies, you posted this in the 987 area so you're looking at the GT2 bucket seats with the folding backs. There are NOT the seats coming with the latest GT3's and future GT4. They have a fixed back.

My comments on the fit still apply however.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PistolPete. I find it confusing to keep track of all these seats. I figured CR owners would have the most experience with similar seats. If the GT4 seats are going to be the same as the 991 GT3 seats, then I will need to post there, too.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I'm confused. What does waist size have to do with hips? Hips usually are indicative of butt size and not waist.;)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Surely spec'ing buckets seats on a GT4 order is a no brainer? Even if you you don't like them, you trade them to any one of hundreds of 981 owners for their sport seats plus + lots of dollars... Since the buckets are a $5000 option and they prolly cost $10,000+ from Suncoast when they ever get any in, years later, this has to be an easy decision, surely?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surely spec'ing buckets seats on a GT4 order is a no brainer? Even if you you don't like them, you trade them to any one of hundreds of 981 owners for their sport seats plus + lots of dollars... Since the buckets are a $5000 option and they prolly cost $10,000+ from Suncoast when they ever get any in, years later, this has to be an easy decision, surely?
Do that many 981 owners really want sport buckets? The sport buckets look great, but usually what is better for the track often has compromises for the street. I wasn't aware that all the airbag issues and seat mounts are a simple drop in/plug in. If this is the case, I will likely just order the sport buckets. I want the sport buckets to occasionally drive at COTA and my home track MSR Cresson. I would like a way to use a hans device and will need the sport buckets and harness to do so. But I will mostly be using the car to drive back and forth to the track and usually drive my dedicated track car at the track.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The only caveat with the new sport buckets in the GT3/GT4 is that they are not compatible with child seats (lack of a LATCH system from what I know). Even booster seats can be questionable due to something with the weight sensor. There is quite an active discussion over at Rennlist and I'll share whatever information is eventually sorted out with booster seat compatibility.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm 6.3, 225, with a 35-36 inch waist, Blond hair, like walks on the beach... Oh wait wrong forum..:hilarious: .Heheh.. Seriously those are my measurements and I fit just great, if anything, the only aspect of the Gt2 seats I wish were different was the rake or angle of the back.. I think a 38 inch waist would fit. Personally I think these are by far the most comfortable seats I have had in any car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
In my 2000 Boxster S with sport seats, the limiting factor was not your butt or waist, it was your upper back width. At that time I wore 34/36 trousers and 40/42 sport coats and very easily fit. It was the guys wearing 46-48"+ sport coats who had problems with those sport seats' narrow bolsters. They just could not fit between the bolsters. My 2009 Cayenne GTS sport seats were very roomy, compared to my 2000 Boxster S. In my 2014 Cayman S sport seats, they are a tad tighter than the GTS, but don't seem to be anywhere as snug around the upper back as the old 2000 S sport seats. I am 6' 1.5" and was at 190 b4 my recent weight loss in retirement (no business snacks, lunches, dinners as well as more chances to exercise), so i think you'll fit just fine. It seems Porsche has enlarged their sport seats (or was it done by Recaro?) over the years. If you can tho, you should try 'em at a nearby dealer Just to be comfortable with your decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts