Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the Michelin PS2 compare to the Nitto 05. I track my 06 CS about 15 events a year, and looking to change to a more performance tire. This will be my 2nd season, do not know if I should go to r-888, or another R-comp tire, or wait and try the Nitto -05. Currently running the PS2.

Your opinions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Will this be a track-only car or will it be a daily driver taken to the track occasionally? If it's a daily driver taken to the track, will you have track-only wheels?

This additional info will help people give you advice.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I have had PS2s previously as my street tires, and ran NT05s as my track tire this past year - I think the NT05 is a better choice between the two, as a track tire, if for no other reason that it is several hundred $$ cheaper for a set, if you are just going to be burning them up on the track. They squeal a bit when new, but once scrubbed in a bit, they perform quite well and predictably.

I personally wouldn't get the NT05s as a primary street tire since they are more harsh and noisy, with poorer wet performance than the OEM Cayman street tires (i.e. PS2s, Bridgestones, etc). As a track tire however, they do have an advantage of being able to drive to the track on them, which you might not want to do on R-comps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you do track days (more than one or two a year) then it really pays off to have a dedicated set of wheel/tires (R-Compounds). Your wheels need not be fancy, but some used ones with some curb rash off Fleabay and then run whatever R-Compounds you can get a good deal on.

The Track chews up expensive street tires in nothing flat, and that will quickly be the limiting factor on traction at the track, not only for cornering, but for braking as well. You can go into corners MUCH deeper with R-Compound tires than any street tire because of the added grip during stopping.

Michelin PS2 is the top street tire, bar none. Also pricey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts