Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

(source: Sporty Car Sales In America - December 2014 & Year End - GOOD CAR BAD CAR)

Some interesting details:

• More Corvettes were sold in the US in 2014 than all European sports cars and premium sports cars (R8, 911 etc) combined!
  • More 918 Spyders were sold than Alfa 4C (by 5) in 2014
  • only 10% more Boxsters were sold over Caymans in the US in 2014. However year over year the Boxster declined 15% (Cayman up 1%) and both sold only 70% of what the 911 sold. The GTS introduction increased sales starting in October.
  • F-Type almost doubled (2013 was not a full year though, but 2014 was low until the coupe arrived) and sold more than 50% of 981s.

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I'm surprised that so many Corvettes were sold. I don't see that many on the road around my neck of the woods. I see more 981/987s and I don't live in an upscale town.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Interesting. But I wonder why the list includes Audi A5 and not BMW 4 series / 3 series coupes...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm surprised that so many Corvettes were sold. I don't see that many on the road around my neck of the woods. I see more 981/987s and I don't live in an upscale town.

That's not surprising given your location. Out here I've seen way too many C7s to count. Literally several a day. In the 2.5 years I've had my BS, I've seen 3 so far on the roads. I think the number of Corvettes is directly proportional to the number of pickup trucks on the road, and Boxsters and pickups are inversely proportional.

interesting data Mike, thanks for posting.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Variant numbers to Variant numbers, I say the Boxster/Cayman outsold the 911.

Ironically, VW sold as many Beetles as Porsche sold 911s :)

Mike, how about we merge this thread with mine about Porsche everall sales in 2014?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
interesting to look through the numbers.

i too see alot of the C7's around here.

it is interesting they include the B8 A5, but not the F3x 4 series

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Variant numbers to Variant numbers, I say the Boxster/Cayman outsold the 911.

Ironically, VW sold as many Beetles as Porsche sold 911s :)

Mike, how about we merge this thread with mine about Porsche everall sales in 2014?
Up to you, I was trying to focus the discussion on the comparison against the competition and not the detailed Porsche numbers.

interesting to look through the numbers.

i too see alot of the C7's around here.

it is interesting they include the B8 A5, but not the F3x 4 series
The BMW 3/4 series is on a different list (Small And Midsize Luxury Car Sales In America - December 2014 And 2014 Year End - GOOD CAR BAD CAR) and sells more than Mustang and Challenger combined. I guess the 3/4 series is not a sporty car anymore :taunt:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What I want to know is how Fiat 500 made that list. Not sure I'd call the Scion "sporty" either...it's certainly more sporty than a Fiat 500.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice list. Surprised how many American made sports cars are selling.

I think a lot of people on this forum don't realize how much American cars have improved in handling, performance and build quality over the past few years. Americans like a bargain, and the top 2 sellers (Camaro and Mustang) are a bargain compared to European sports cars. Sure they aren't as light and nimble as 981s, but they are still fun to drive. As for the Corvette, there are really not many cars that can compete in performance in that price range.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think a lot of people on this forum don't realize how much American cars have improved in handling, performance and build quality over the past few years. Americans like a bargain, and the top 2 sellers (Camaro and Mustang) are a bargain compared to European sports cars. Sure they aren't as light and nimble as 981s, but they are still fun to drive. As for the Corvette, there are really not many cars that can compete in performance in that price range.
True for me, anyway. The '61 Olds I inherited when I was 16 put me off of American cars for life. Haven't owned one since I was 17. They must have improved since then, but I was burned so badly...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
In NJ, Corvettes are everywhere. Since I do not personally care about Porsche's internal financials (other than that they are healthy as a company), I like the idea that we are a more exclusive club. NJ is very densely populated, but I am lucky if I see one or two 981s a week around here. As stated many times on this forum, most people have no idea what my car is (I also did model delete on the rear deck). But they certainly know what a Vette, Camaro, and mustang are. I am ok with the dynamic between us.

thanks for posting this chart!

·
Registered
290 Posts
In NJ, Corvettes are everywhere. Since I do not personally care about Porsche's internal financials (other than that they are healthy as a company), I like the idea that we are a more exclusive club. NJ is very densely populated, but I am lucky if I see one or two 981s a week around here. As stated many times on this forum, most people have no idea what my car is (I also did model delete on the rear deck). But they certainly know what a Vette, Camaro, and mustang are. I am ok with the dynamic between us.

thanks for posting this chart!

Good point. I think that Porsche depends on affluent people loving the 'exclusive club brand'. Joe Average car buyer prefers performance/dollar and this is why the American cars are doing so well. Personally, I'm an open minded sports car guy and haven't totally bought into the mantra "There is no substitute". I currently own 2 Porsches, but if Porsche keeps holding their performance levels moderate while maximizing price and profits, I won't keep buying them.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Now I can tell my Corvette friend I really do see 10 Vettes to ever 1 Cayman on the road... and 20 Mustangs or Camaros to every 1 Cayman. ( I see as many Ferrari in my town as I see Caymans). Its just nice to have a car that I don't see 2 or 3 of the same car when I go to a local car show.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts